Most beautiful law school? Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
MachineLemon

Bronze

Re: Most beautiful law school?

Post by MachineLemon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:19 am

Cupidity wrote:Image

For the second year in a row, there is not a single picture of this building in the glossy admissions flyer they send out to prospective students. What a travesty. This wonderful structure should be admired by all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture

Kendi

New

Post by Kendi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 pm

One of the most beautiful law school surroundings―U Miami. Plenty of palm trees, water, sunshine, blue skies, daily top down drive to class on US1. It does not get better than this!
--ImageRemoved--

benburns214

Bronze

Post by benburns214 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Kendi wrote:One of the most beautiful law school surroundings―U Miami. Plenty of palm trees, water, sunshine, blue skies, daily top down drive to class on US1. It does not get better than this!
--ImageRemoved--
+1

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Sorry if I am not supposed to post this here, but I am curious as to what people think of the following campuses/libraries:

1) Notre Dame
2) Tennessee
3) Georgia
4) Loyola Chicago
5) UCONN
6) Maryland
7) Villanova

Of course, this is hardly the deciding factor, but since I am on the west coast I haven't had time to visit these schools yet.
Feel free to debate what is the most beautiful Law School Library, and Law School Campus. I'd be curious to find out what people think.

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:56 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:2) Tennessee
As a Senior at Tennessee I will say that it is not a bad campus, but not one of the most beautiful ones. They try to make it look better than it actually is. Not discourage you though, it is a great school. (I personally have my fingers crossed to get back into Tennessee for law!)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Notre Dame, WUSTL, and Michigan have the most beautiful schools (caveat, I have not seen Yale/UCLA/Columbia, which I have heard are all very nice)

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Awesome! I got waitlisted at Notre Dame, and am really hoping I get in. According to all the information out there though, I shouldn't have even been waitlisted, but rejected. I just looked at Washington in SL, all I can say is wow. I wouldn't have a chance of getting in there, but what a building.

I saw a photo of UTK's library and it is horrific looking. Still, the law school seems like a great place to earn a JD and the people seem super nice. I just got in last week and I am really happy about it.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Saw several mentions of Richmond, but no pics. I love this campus.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:32 pm

mattviphky wrote:Notre Dame, WUSTL, and Michigan have the most beautiful schools (caveat, I have not seen Yale/UCLA/Columbia, which I have heard are all very nice)
+1, and I can vouch for the fact that all three schools you mentioned are better than UCLA and Columbia (haven't visited Yale). Michigan is probably top dog, but WUSTL is pretty incredible, too, and much nicer than its (lack of) presence in threads like this one seem to indicate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

checkster

Bronze

Post by checkster » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Michigan is tops IMO, but I've spent a good deal of time around WUSTL, and its just gorgeous. I go out of my way to drive by there sometimes. ND is also really nice from what I've seen.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Guys, let me put this to rest with the definitive top 3

1) BU
2) USC
3) Columbia

you're welcome

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:49 pm

You don't mean the University of Southern California right? I am from SoCal, and I can tell you that USC is awful. UCLA is the beautiful school in SoCal. USD and Pepperdine are nice too, but Pepperdine is in Malibu so you better be rich if you want to do anything fun there.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:57 pm

h2oplyer7 wrote:You don't mean the University of Southern California right? I am from SoCal, and I can tell you that USC is awful. UCLA is the beautiful school in SoCal. USD and Pepperdine are nice too, but Pepperdine is in Malibu so you better be rich if you want to do anything fun there.
Kwais was definitely being sarcastic bro.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:42 pm

chimp wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:You don't mean the University of Southern California right? I am from SoCal, and I can tell you that USC is awful. UCLA is the beautiful school in SoCal. USD and Pepperdine are nice too, but Pepperdine is in Malibu so you better be rich if you want to do anything fun there.
Kwais was definitely being sarcastic bro.
nuh uh, I don't know why people go for stone castles like WUSTL, Michigan or Yale, when they could have the concrete splendor of a USC. And Columbia? All the charm of a DMV. That's prestige

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Surprised there aren't more Cornell posts.

h2oplyer7

Bronze

Post by h2oplyer7 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:34 am

Haha gotcha. I've never seen the other two schools so I thought you were speaking truth. In that case I also think UNLV is tops. It looks like a giant high school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 am

h2oplyer7 wrote:
4) Loyola Chicago
Nothing special at all, except for its location, which is a few blocks from Michigan Avenue in the Loop. It's literally two-five blocks from absolutely anything you would need, including the transit station. It's also within walking distance from Northwestern law School, which would actually piss me off if I were a student there. Why - if you were going to Loyola - would you want to be reminded that you couldn't get into a school where the career prospects are much better?

As for the building...it's decent, but you share it with undergrads. I only know this because I visited when I was living in Chicago.

Building Itself: B- (Needs to be brought into the new millennium)
Building Comfort: C+ (The undergrads might get on your nerves)
Location A+ (If you like city living, it doesn't get any better)

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 am

PDaddy wrote:
h2oplyer7 wrote:
4) Loyola Chicago
Nothing special at all, except for its location, which is a few blocks from Michigan Avenue in the Loop. It's literally two-five blocks from absolutely anything you would need, including the transit station. It's also within walking distance from Northwestern law School, which would actually piss me off if I were a student there. Why - if you were going to Loyola - would you want to be reminded that you couldn't get into a school where the career prospects are much better?

As for the building...it's decent, but you share it with undergrads. I only know this because I visited when I was living in Chicago.

Building Itself: B- (Needs to be brought into the new millennium)
Building Comfort: C+ (The undergrads might get on your nerves)
Location A+ (If you like city living, it doesn't get any better)
You didn't mention the Chick-fil-A, the best part of Loyola law.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:25 am

Nate895 wrote: As someone who the latter half of my growing up years (11-19) in the depressing pit known as the State of Washington, this is just wrong. The thing about it is that even though there is rarely heavy rain, there is an almost constant overcast, even in the summer. There is hardly a day in the year where there is not a cloud in the sky. You might get one month of a true summer, and that's in a good year (I experienced some summers where it was only possible to boat for two weeks). Winter isn't too cold when the clouds are out (most of the time), but you can be pretty certain that it's dark and dreary outside, and when it isn't dark and dreary, it's below freezing. The average high in July and August is 76 in Seattle. There are variables. Some years it might only break 80 a few days, with many days not even breaking 70, and other years there will be consistently warm temperatures over the summer month (80-90+), and you will probably need to wear a light sweater at night, even in August.

There is a certain group of people who like the weather in the NW, but most people would find it absolutely miserable. If you like the weather in the NW, say so, don't try to sell something that just isn't so.
As someone who has spent much of his life in Seattle (and continues to) I can tell you that you are wrong - if not lying. You don't live in Seattle, or you would have seen the insane spring and summer we had last year...and you would know that Seattle can get 75-85 degree weather even in September. Seattle's springs run April-June; ssummers run July-September. Indian summers happen in Seattle frequently.

Like I said, I speak to transplants all the time who are shocked. I never said Seattle's weather wasn't dreary at all. our winters can be quite ugly. But for the most part, they aren't, they're just wet. And a cloud in the sky with the sun is called "partially sunny", dude. That's not a dreary day; that's mild weather, and only sun-hounds from the south, CA and FL dislike it.
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:05 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Duke Law . . . pretty spectacular.
srsly?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I've been here before. It really is as awesome as it looks in this picture.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:06 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Duke Law and Duke Campus. Both are pretty spectacular.

http://architect.duke.edu/images/quads/ ... fprest.gif
http://www.shepleybulfinch.com/images/h ... ke_law.jpg
that font for "law" in the second picture would annoying the fuck out of me. i'd graffiti over it.

Transform it into garamond or something more pleasant.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Duke Law . . . pretty spectacular.
srsly?
I mean, it's a pretty nice place to spend 3 years. Renovations were just completed in 2008, including Star Commons, which is incredible. I'm not sure it's in the running for most beautiful, but it's definitely up there. And it's a nice alternative to the gothic-style architecture of many schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”