Who has more prestige?

Yale
46%
Harvard
54%

Total votes: 113

bananasinpajamas

New

Who has the best reputation- yale or harvard?

Post by bananasinpajamas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 am

Reputation meaning in general (not just to those in the legal field)

Although Yale is highest ranked and most selective according to USNWR, to the non law school obsessed person, it would seem Harvard is most prestigious.

Example: Legally Blonde

Please avoid Cooley flames. Just because your mother says you are funny doesn't mean you are. :)

chadwick218

Silver

Re: Who has the best reputation- yale or harvard?

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:12 am

In the legal community, there is little question that Yale is the most prestigious!

ihatelaw

Bronze

Post by ihatelaw » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:26 am

lay person: harvard
legal profession: yale

obviously there are people in both categories who think that a different school may be more prestigious. this is true in the legal profession where some people think yale is too academic or harvard is too much of a factory. either way, lay person reputation shouldn't effect law school decisions.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:27 am

I don't think there's any legitimate way to measure overall reputation.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:27 am

the difference is negligible.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:31 am

http://www.gallup.com/poll/9109/harvard ... ublic.aspx

Also, as a university system as a whole, I don't think there's any doubt that Harvard is better than Yale, no question.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:36 am

The fact that Texas A&M ranks twelfth makes those rankings slightly dubious ;)

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Post by vespertiliovir » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 am

Helmholtz wrote:laypeople in America are pretty much morons
TITCR

Also, the size of the school comes into play at that point in the rankings. A&M has a large alumni base and name recognition (at least here in Texas), so it'd be one of the first schools to come to mind.

anthonyc350

Bronze

Post by anthonyc350 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
vespertiliovir wrote:
The fact that Texas A&M ranks twelfth makes those rankings slightly dubious ;)
Not the validity of the poll, it just reinforces the notion that laypeople in America are pretty much morons when it comes to determining university quality. Do you know how many people in Ohio I've had to convince that, as a whole, UMich is a much better institution than OSU? They just don't believe it. You can probably find plenty of people in Texas who things Texas A&M is the shit because their nephew/niece goes there and s/he's super smart, or maybe they like the football team?

In academic circles, UChicago is one of the strongest educational institutions in the world, but the guy changing the oil in your car's probably never heard of it. Guarantee he's heard of Harvard and Yale, though.
I'll bet there is little to no different between the educational quality of Mich and OSU UG for the average college student

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:06 am

Yale.

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:10 am

Yale.

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:11 am

YLS

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:11 am

Each think they're better than each other and both think they're better than you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am

With that said - as far as pure elitism is concerned, YLS wins, unlabored hands down. As an aside, their class size is what... 200? More exclusive.
Last edited by fonzerelli on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:14 am

For whatever reason I think Harvard has the "name" in pop culture but then again so do McDonalds, Starbucks, whatever. Yale is nothing to sneeze at though, nor Stanford I guess? I think the more crucial question would be Harvard vs. NYU, or Columbia, or whatever. There's a definite prestige gap amongst the ordinary Joes of the world.
Helmholtz wrote:http://www.gallup.com/poll/9109/harvard ... ublic.aspx

Also, as a university system as a whole, I don't think there's any doubt that Harvard is better than Yale, no question.
I was surprised to see Stanford so high. Way to go - because it's so "new" compared to the ivies

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am

PEOPLE - OP is clearly talking about the universities as a whole. Not Law School.

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:16 am

CordeliusX wrote:PEOPLE - OP is clearly talking about the universities as a whole. Not Law School.
close, but read again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CordeliusX

Bronze

Post by CordeliusX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:19 am

Renaixença wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:PEOPLE - OP is clearly talking about the universities as a whole. Not Law School.
close, but read again.
:x :oops: :oops:

Well he should be then because the ordinary person just thinks grad school quality = undergrad quality = university as a whole. :mrgreen:

Seriously. I'm sure a person with a certificate of attendance at a Harvard seminar would be more esteemed by Joe Average than a PhD from a state school. :twisted:

Credit

New

Post by Credit » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:21 am

Helmholtz wrote:Do you know how many people in Ohio I've had to convince that, as a whole, UMich is a much better institution than OSU? They just don't believe it.
I'm fighting this battle nearly every day it seems. Ohioans only see Michigan for its rivalry with OSU.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:22 am

At least my U-grad made the list lol.

As an aside... YLS dominance, while obvious to the rankings obsessed TLSer, is not nearly as well understood by the masses. Frankly, I believe that if you asked 10 non-lawyers, which LS is the best, 7 or more would say HLS.

Moreover, if you asked 10 average members of the bar, i believe the response would be mostly split, maybe favoring YLS just slightly.

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:29 am

reasonable_man wrote:

As an aside... YLS dominance, while obvious to the rankings obsessed TLSer, is not nearly as well understood by the masses. Frankly, I believe that if you asked 10 non-lawyers, which LS is the best, 7 or more would say HLS.

Moreover, if you asked 10 average members of the bar, i believe the response would be mostly split, maybe favoring YLS just slightly.
I doubt passing the bar makes you any smarter or more aware than your average Ohioan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:41 am

A lot of people I've talked to have asked whether I'm applying to Princeton School of Law...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 am

Renaixença wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

I doubt passing the bar makes you any smarter or more aware than your average Ohioan.
What is the point of this post? Is it really a problem (and for that matter even debatable), that members of the bar are slightly more aware of the intricacies of the practice of law?

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

Presumably, the average person who has passed the bar applied to law schools, was admitted, chose one, graduated, and has had a considerable amount of experience with other people who have passed the bar. This alone makes them more knowledgeable about which law school is better than the "average Ohioan."
Perhaps, though it depends how we define "better." Plus, even if such people do have more knowledge about which school is "better," it does not mean they'll put that knowledge to use or that their knowledge is any more free of bias than the average Ohioan's.

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:50 am

reasonable_man wrote:What is the point of this post? Is it really a problem (and for that matter even debatable), that members of the bar are slightly more aware of the intricacies of the practice of law?
A quip against lawyers. Don't take it so personally . . . at least not before you pass the bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”