(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Ruxin1

Silver

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by Ruxin1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 pm

ironbmike wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
ironbmike wrote:
Sounder89 wrote:I might be misapplying Duke's undergrad reputation to the law school. And George Mason is in the South and generally conservative, no?
Mason is conservative but most definitely not in the South.
Former commuter schools are not frat
When did I say it was frat? It's not.
CHECK YOU THREAD TITLE BREH.

ironbmike

Bronze

Post by ironbmike » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:CHECK YOU THREAD TITLE BREH.
Politically it is very conservative. It's not fratty or Southern. Make of it what you will.

squonk

New

Post by squonk » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Damn. I'm most likely going to UGA in the fall, but I'm not the fratty type at all. I guess I'll have to try to fit into that whole thing somewhat.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 pm

What ever happened to grizz?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:What ever happened to grizz?
are you kidding?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:51 pm

stillwater wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:What ever happened to grizz?
are you kidding?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Cooley. /thread

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:09 am

Bumped. I enjoyed reading this thread. I honestly do not know what compelled me to google the frattiest law school thread on TLS.

missie

New

Post by missie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:32 am

Misread the title of this thread at first - I thought it said "Fatty" Law Schools lololol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ThisWillDo23

New

Post by ThisWillDo23 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:27 pm

University of Miami's Law School attracts a lot of fratty bro types.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 pm

ThisWillDo23 wrote:University of Miami's Law School attracts a lot of fratty bro types.
This is surprising considering this school is not fratty

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Kind of amazing as to what some people believe passes as frat.

If your college makes you have on-campuses "houses" that are essentially glorified dorms = Not frat.

If your college doesn't tailgate/have big-time athletics = Not frat.

If your college isn't close enough to get to a beach and/or the mountains for your fall/spring weekend retreats = not frat.

If your college doesn't have a horse derby within driving distance = not frat.

If there isn't some underlying, persistent conflict between the greek student body and the GDI student body = not frat.

If your college administration ultimately sides with the GDIs in said conflict = not frat.

Basically, UGA, UF, FSU, Bama, Ole Miss = FaF.

ETA: I love my Alma Mater, but UNC isn't frat.

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:54 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:Kind of amazing as to what some people believe passes as frat.

If your college makes you have on-campuses "houses" that are essentially glorified dorms = Not frat.

If your college isn't close enough to get to a beach and/or the mountains for your fall/spring weekend retreats = not frat.

If there isn't some underlying, persistent conflict between the greek student body and the GDI student body = not frat.

If your college administration ultimately sides with the GDIs in said conflict = not frat.

That's a pretty shallow definition of what it means to be frat... I'd say there are 3 main types: bros at southern and state schools, country club/preppy kids in the northeast, and liberal arts frats that exist as a counterculture to hipsters/nerds/social justice warrior types. There's some overlap, sure, but classifications can be made.

For me, being generally fratty is having an attitude that you're fighting against BS to have a good time with your friends. Doesn't matter if you're (consentually and respectfully) slamming biddies at a mountain weekend, doing weird candlelight rituals your wealthy grandfathers made up in 1940 on opium, or having a party in the cornfields with a keg because there's nothing else going on in a 20 mile radius. It's all in the same spirit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Bros, being fratty as fuck means being elite as fuck. The true fratbro can get shitfaced 4 days a week and still beat the curve. Moreover, when he kicks ass with effortless grace he does it not because any conscious effort but because when he wakes up in the morning he just naturally pisses excellence. The guy who's graduating with a dogshit GPA and/or at a dogshit school can bro out all he wants but he's just a poser. It's not about connections, wealth, or if your parents came over on the Mayflower. It's about being cool as fuck shit, chill as shit fuck, and if you pull.

Imo Duke and UVa have this pretty much on lock because their UG reputation trump any and all pro-frat-justifications that the rest of the T14 can marshall.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:44 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Bros, being fratty as fuck means being elite as fuck. The true fratbro can get shitfaced 4 days a week and still beat the curve. Moreover, when he kicks ass with effortless grace he does it not because any conscious effort but because when he wakes up in the morning he just naturally pisses excellence. The guy who's graduating with a dogshit GPA and/or at a dogshit school can bro out all he wants but he's just a poser. It's not about connections, wealth, or if your parents came over on the Mayflower. It's about being cool as fuck shit, chill as shit fuck, and if you pull.

Imo Duke and UVa have this pretty much on lock because their UG reputation trump any and all pro-frat-justifications that the rest of the T14 can marshall.
Hahahahahahahahaha good one.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:Kind of amazing as to what some people believe passes as frat.

You forgot USC

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:55 pm

The horse derby criterion is too strict.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GreatBraffsby

Bronze

Post by GreatBraffsby » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:59 pm

somethingelse55 wrote:The horse derby criterion is too strict.
If someone's dad isn't chartering a yearly plane to a triple crown race (or at least Saratoga Springs), then you joined the wrong frat.

somethingElse

Gold

Post by somethingElse » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:00 pm

GreatBraffsby wrote:
somethingelse55 wrote:The horse derby criterion is too strict.
If someone's dad isn't chartering a yearly plane to a triple crown race (or at least Saratoga Springs), then you joined the wrong frat.
Exactly. So there's clearly no need for it to be within driving distance.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:33 pm

pancakes3 wrote:Bros, being fratty as fuck means being elite as fuck. The true fratbro can get shitfaced 4 days a week and still beat the curve. Moreover, when he kicks ass with effortless grace he does it not because any conscious effort but because when he wakes up in the morning he just naturally pisses excellence. The guy who's graduating with a dogshit GPA and/or at a dogshit school can bro out all he wants but he's just a poser. It's not about connections, wealth, or if your parents came over on the Mayflower. It's about being cool as fuck shit, chill as shit fuck, and if you pull.

RamTitan

Silver

Post by RamTitan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:30 pm

clsballer1 wrote:There are differences between fratty and bro

1. Don't have to be in a frat to be a bro. Being in a frat does not make you a bro. An unusually high percentage of bros are in frats due to the fact that the frat lifestyle is conducive to bro'ing.

2. Being a bro is not about what you wear. Most bro's naturally wear brolo due to its stylishness and comfort. Wannabees equate clothing with brohood because it the only way they can pretend to be bro's.

3. Bro's usually don't really give f*ck about anything. However, they are generally smart and can get good grades, plagued by the itis, prone to crushing brews, slaying sorority chicks(whether in a frat or not), possessing a general unexplained swagger.

4. Fratstars are bro's
edit. fratstars go on month long benders, drink, smoke, and bang more girls than the everyone. Yet they seem content doing these things without advertising them to the world via douchey clothing etc.
This is accurate

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:38 am

Disagree for the bolded, plenty of rich frat kids at midwestern schools have their parents buy them vacations to Mexico for Spring Break, and it's pretty fratty down there. Also, nobody gives a crap about horse racing outside of the south unless there's a horse going for the Triple Crown, and even then people only care about the Belmont and then stop caring as soon as the Belmont's over.

Otherwise you're on the money.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:34 am

mwells56 wrote:

Disagree for the bolded, plenty of rich frat kids at midwestern schools have their parents buy them vacations to Mexico for Spring Break, and it's pretty fratty down there. Also, nobody gives a crap about horse racing outside of the south unless there's a horse going for the Triple Crown, and even then people only care about the Belmont and then stop caring as soon as the Belmont's over.

Sorry bro, midwest is per se unfrat and just because you've been to Senor Frogs doesn't make you frat. There's only NE frat and Southern frat. If you use the word "fratstar" then you're just a bro - not frat.

And lol at Belmont. 1) It's all about the derby. 2) Of course people stop caring as soon as Belmont is over bc Belmont's the last leg.

Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to, bruh.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:36 am

ec2xs wrote:
Thirteen wrote:SMU
TITCR
I am closely acquainted with both UT and SMU. I go to UT and am a Dallas kid. SMU is a AAA grade frat repository. UT flirts with frattiness, but there is enough variety to keep it subdued.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:07 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:

Sorry bro, midwest is per se unfrat and just because you've been to Senor Frogs doesn't make you frat. There's only NE frat and Southern frat. If you use the word "fratstar" then you're just a bro - not frat.

And lol at Belmont. 1) It's all about the derby. 2) Of course people stop caring as soon as Belmont is over bc Belmont's the last leg.

Stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to, bruh.
I'm not from the midwest, I'm from the northeast. I go to school in the midwest. So I know what being frat is, bruh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”