"Fratty" Law Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:10 pm

worst thread ever. Everyone on it should kill themselves like I am going to do for reading some of this chickenshit.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:worst thread ever. Everyone on it should kill themselves like I am going to do for reading some of this chickenshit.
lol y u mad tho

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Ignoring Mr. Pancakes, has anybody here either worked for IFC as a grad assistant or as a house dad to help pay for school? I know of people who do it for regular grad school, but not for people in law school.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:15 pm

Grizz wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:worst thread ever. Everyone on it should kill themselves like I am going to do for reading some of this chickenshit.
lol y u mad tho
Frowney face:
PS,
I am responding from beyond the grave since I killed myself.

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Any thoughts as to the relative frattiness of the law schools in California? Do all schools of a specific type have the same level of frattiness? (For example, the differences might be between the UCs (Hastings, Berkeley, etc), the parochials (USF, Santa Clara, etc), and the privates (Pacific, Golden Gate, Western State, etc.)) Or are there significant differences between schools of a specific type? (For example, Pacific differing from Golden Gate.)

California-fratty is of course not exactly the same as New England-prep or Southern-frat, but would presumably be the cultural stylings of their California counterparts. At my undergrad campus in California it was articulated by wearing business formal on campus during non-business related events, by wearing madras shorts, or most commonly by rocking one's greek fraternity letters on a sweatshirt if a bro and on one's handbag if one was a sis.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:02 pm

apollo2015 wrote:Any thoughts as to the relative frattiness of the law schools in California? Do all schools of a specific type have the same level of frattiness? (For example, the differences might be between the UCs (Hastings, Berkeley, etc), the parochials (USF, Santa Clara, etc), and the privates (Pacific, Golden Gate, Western State, etc.)) Or are there significant differences between schools of a specific type? (For example, Pacific differing from Golden Gate.)

California-fratty is of course not exactly the same as New England-prep or Southern-frat, but would presumably be the cultural stylings of their California counterparts. At my undergrad campus in California it was articulated by wearing business formal on campus during non-business related events, by wearing madras shorts, or most commonly by rocking one's greek fraternity letters on a sweatshirt if a bro and on one's handbag if one was a sis.
The west coast continues to sound really, really awful.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:49 pm

FWIW, Duke's frattiness has been greatly exaggerated. Dunno what I was expecting (or how fratty a law school can really be), but there's only a handful of students who look the part, while half the class seems to be from California. People definitely go out a lot, but in terms of actually being fratty (and not by the Cali/hipster definition), I doubt Duke can hold up to Vandy, or any other SEC school.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 pm

tarheel87 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:Any thoughts as to the relative frattiness of the law schools in California? Do all schools of a specific type have the same level of frattiness? (For example, the differences might be between the UCs (Hastings, Berkeley, etc), the parochials (USF, Santa Clara, etc), and the privates (Pacific, Golden Gate, Western State, etc.)) Or are there significant differences between schools of a specific type? (For example, Pacific differing from Golden Gate.)

+1. I don't think frat exists on the West Coast.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:39 pm

beachbum wrote:FWIW, Duke's frattiness has been greatly exaggerated. Dunno what I was expecting (or how fratty a law school can really be), but there's only a handful of students who look the part, while half the class seems to be from California. People definitely go out a lot, but in terms of actually being fratty (and not by the Cali/hipster definition), I doubt Duke can hold up to Vandy, or any other SEC school.
is it possible the fratty perception of vandy is analogous to the exaggerated perception of duke.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:14 pm

charliep wrote:
beachbum wrote:FWIW, Duke's frattiness has been greatly exaggerated. Dunno what I was expecting (or how fratty a law school can really be), but there's only a handful of students who look the part, while half the class seems to be from California. People definitely go out a lot, but in terms of actually being fratty (and not by the Cali/hipster definition), I doubt Duke can hold up to Vandy, or any other SEC school.
is it possible the fratty perception of vandy is analogous to the exaggerated perception of duke.
Never been to Vandy but have visited Duke. Never thought of Duke as a "fratty" school to begin with. I'm under the impression that Vandy's frattiness is like UVA's, but not on the same level as Alabama/UGA/other SEC schools.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:34 pm

STLMizzou wrote:Ignoring Mr. Pancakes, has anybody here either worked for IFC as a grad assistant or as a house dad to help pay for school? I know of people who do it for regular grad school, but not for people in law school.
A couple of my friends did it at SMU last year (during 1L year). They didn't have any complaints, and both did well in school.

southernsuperstar

Bronze

Post by southernsuperstar » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Trifles wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:You mean carry? I don't know about Vera Bradley or whatnot because I'm a guy, but I thought it was just handbags and purses, etc. I guess I may be in the dark on this stuff, but most girls on my campus are sporting these bags or sorority/Vineyard Vines bags.

I'm a northern girl, and I had to google Vera Bradley. I am sooo not cut out for a southern school, those bags are effin hideous.
true southern girls don't wear vera bradley. lilly pulitzer, yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 pm

southernsuperstar wrote:
Trifles wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:You mean carry? I don't know about Vera Bradley or whatnot because I'm a guy, but I thought it was just handbags and purses, etc. I guess I may be in the dark on this stuff, but most girls on my campus are sporting these bags or sorority/Vineyard Vines bags.

I'm a northern girl, and I had to google Vera Bradley. I am sooo not cut out for a southern school, those bags are effin hideous.
true southern girls don't wear vera bradley. lilly pulitzer, yes.
Wearing my favorite lilly cardigan today. I affirm.

Vera Bradley is for frumpy plebs.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:51 pm

There are very few thing more attractive than girls in lilly sundresses.

I miss spring/school... :?

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Carolina Cup = sundress heaven

Which ever school I end up attending will, by proxy, become the frattiest law school.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:25 pm

hookem7 wrote:Carolina Cup = sundress heaven

Which ever school I end up attending will, by proxy, become the frattiest law school.

+1 TFTC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 pm

I will never stop pushing UGA Law to get a tent at carolina cup.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:36 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
tarheel87 wrote:

+1. I don't think frat exists on the West Coast.
Lol why would you possibly think this is true?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Out of the schools I visited during 0L times, Vandy and UVA were the frattiest by far.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Nice 'tar.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:25 am

Thirteen, your 'tar may be the best on this site, but johansantana21 gets an honorable mention. Fuck the Cowgirls, go Texans.

eandy - UGA law would seem pretty fratty, no? And I would keep pushing for Carolina Cup, I went with a buddy of mine that went to UNC and it was one of the greatest/frattiest events I have ever attended, Trumped only by Round-Up (because I'm a homer).

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 pm

hookem7 wrote:Thirteen, your 'tar may be the best on this site, but johansantana21 gets an honorable mention. Fuck the Cowgirls, go Texans.

eandy - UGA law would seem pretty fratty, no? And I would keep pushing for Carolina Cup, I went with a buddy of mine that went to UNC and it was one of the greatest/frattiest events I have ever attended, Trumped only by Round-Up (because I'm a homer).
Despite going to school in South Carolina, I was never 21 in UG so I didn't go to Carolina Cup (number one place for a minor in possession of alcohol charge). Need to go still.
Georgia Law is pretty frat. Our barrister's ball is basically a fraternity formal.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:56 pm

eandy wrote:
hookem7 wrote:Thirteen, your 'tar may be the best on this site, but johansantana21 gets an honorable mention. Fuck the Cowgirls, go Texans.

Despite going to school in South Carolina, I was never 21 in UG so I didn't go to Carolina Cup (number one place for a minor in possession of alcohol charge). Need to go still.
Georgia Law is pretty frat. Our barrister's ball is basically a fraternity formal.
Same here. I triple-fisted Makers and Coke for 3 straight hours. They definitely took a loss on my $25 ticket, which gave me access to the open bar.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Thirteen wrote:Same here. I triple-fisted Makers and Coke for 3 straight hours. They definitely took a loss on my $25 ticket, which gave me access to the open bar.
You're better than that

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”