"Fratty" Law Schools Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
waverider

Bronze

Re: "Fratty" Law Schools

Post by waverider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Florida may not be southern but it is FAR from northeastern!

In my opinion its culture has a mix of southern and northern that ironically feels very western.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:44 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:SMU, Texas (parts), SEC (except UF), Emory, Wake is okay, UNC is okay, maybe even Baylor.

UVa isn't bad, but there's a lot of liberals.

UF is terrible, have to disagree. FSU isn't bad.

Whoever said Michigan and Notre Dame is backwards.
Obviously you have never been to FSU or UF lol

The essence of frat, I was at a bar last week and the Bar Review troop showed up, it was like a croakies catalog ......

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:01 am

Wearing croakies doesn't mean you're frat (see: trying too hard). I have definitely been to both, and while FSU has a fair share of southern frat daddys that love to do nothing but recreational skiing, the overbearing presence of hair gel, spray tans, and jean shorts at UF is too much for me.

Rest of SEC > uf

totespresh

New

Post by totespresh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Not sure about the law school, but my best friend is in UG and UNC and it's pretty standard for us to make frat jokes. As I'm from a "redneck" sort of place, I find it hilarious. But then again, everyone finds it hilarious to make hick jokes about where I live, so it evens out I guess.

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Wearing croakies doesn't mean you're frat (see: trying too hard). I have definitely been to both, and while FSU has a fair share of southern frat daddys that love to do nothing but recreational skiing, the overbearing presence of hair gel, spray tans, and jean shorts at UF is too much for me.

Rest of SEC > uf
UF has a bunch of Jewish frats, I don't know if that is the same. Alls I know is at FSU they make fun of UF for their lack of fratness lol if that is even possible, apparently if you are a jew, you are not fratty enough to be a real broster. I'm from florida and know people at both and attended one of the two schools, I have to say FSU has a much larger greek presence and their overall broster frattyness has never been surpassed in any of the schools I have visited in this country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:31 pm

BTW not advocating or promoting the above fratsters and their view of jewish frats. Just repeating the general consensus of douche bags that I have run into at FSU ...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:20 pm

ranovr32 wrote:BTW not advocating or promoting the above fratsters and their view of jewish frats. Just repeating the general consensus of douche bags that I have run into at FSU ...
Jewish fraternities are in general not very fratty, not because they are Jewish, but because they contain a higher portion of Northerners.

BoomBoom1986

Bronze

Post by BoomBoom1986 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Penn State FTW. State College is the hipster version of the apocalypse. And there may be a difference between bros and fratty people, but overall it's just the same douchebaggery. I guess I'm kind of a northeastern urbanite type so I'm a little biased (maybe judgement even, hehe), but still, these people generally blow from my experience.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 pm

julesm2200 wrote:Oh definitly UGA and Bama. Texas I'm not too sure, and I'm leaning towards no. Austin (and Texas itself for that matter) don't strike me as very fratty, just very southern.

And I've heard W&L is extremely fratty. Like 99% of their undergrad is greek. (I perhaps just made up that statistic. But I'm pretty sure I'm right).
W&L is. Their UG is about 80% Greek.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 pm

Whoever said Florida is more northeastern than southern hasn't really been to Florida. The majority of Florida outside of the beach communities (not just the panhandle) is more like Alabama than anything else.

And I have to disagree that Patagonia is frat wear. It's more Trustafarian wear. There's a big difference between preppy frat people and trustafarians. While both have a ton of money handed down from their parents, their politics are completely different, and it's the latter that likes doing the outdoorsey, kyaking, etc. stuff. Frat people stay in side, drink Bud Light, and watch college sports all day. And maybe go golfing or to the gym. What I've always wondered is why fratty people, with all their money, drink the ghettoest of all ghetto beers: Bud Light. But they they'll also have $100 scotch bottles on their shelf. What gives?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:53 pm

JCougar wrote:Whoever said Florida is more northeastern than southern hasn't really been to Florida. The majority of Florida outside of the beach communities (not just the panhandle) is more like Alabama than anything else.

And I have to disagree that Patagonia is frat wear. It's more Trustafarian wear. There's a big difference between preppy frat people and trustafarians. While both have a ton of money handed down from their parents, their politics are completely different, and it's the latter that likes doing the outdoorsey, kyaking, etc. stuff. Frat people stay in side, drink Bud Light, and watch college sports all day. And maybe go golfing or to the gym. What I've always wondered is why fratty people, with all their money, drink the ghettoest of all ghetto beers: Bud Light. But they they'll also have $100 scotch bottles on their shelf. What gives?
Because they have to buy the beer for everyone. The liquor is only for themselves and girls who will blow them.

At at my UG in the southeast, patagonia is super fratty. If there is a patagonia sticker on a car, there is also a frat sticker.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:05 am

I'm "Greek"

...but apparently it doesn't count since I go to a northern school? Haha I'm not very involved anymore anyhow, although I do wear a lot of Polo Ralph Lauren and go to the gym.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 pm

eandy wrote:
JCougar wrote:Whoever said Florida is more northeastern than southern hasn't really been to Florida. The majority of Florida outside of the beach communities (not just the panhandle) is more like Alabama than anything else.

Because they have to buy the beer for everyone. The liquor is only for themselves and girls who will blow them.

At at my UG in the southeast, patagonia is super fratty. If there is a patagonia sticker on a car, there is also a frat sticker.
The puffy Patagonia jackets and the Snap-T fleeces are really fratty, no doubt about it. Not the button-front shirts though. Mainly just the fleeces.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S-IV

New

Post by S-IV » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:56 am

Grizz wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
rad law wrote:Which schools out there might be considered "fratty?" By this, I don't mean "full of dudes who get drunk all the time and try to hook up," but I do mean a school where many people are:

Preppy, conservative, primarily (though not necessarily) Southern.

eg.,
Guys who like outdoor sports and wear short shorts, polos, and croakies, and girl who like sundresses, pearls, and Vera Bradley stuff.
edit: clearing up a controversy on a previous thread.
I'd go to a school like that in a heartbeat. I love the outdoors (how could you not), and sundresses look incredible . . . on attractive girls, not by themselves, obviously.
Same. I feel like these are more my kind of people.
+1

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:59 am

S-IV wrote:
+1
Worthwhile thread bump.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:02 am

Grizz wrote:
S-IV wrote:
+1
Worthwhile thread bump.
I enjoy that this thread has been resurrected.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:33 am

Thread is a relic of when I used to be cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Grizz wrote:Thread is a relic of when I used to be cool.
Don't worry, I have no clue about what's going on here. I haven't heard of any of these clothing brands, and i had no idea people wore jorts to be serious. I didn't go to a school that was really fratty, but they drink and hang out I guess? You might have your anal virginity stolen, but other than that I can't think of something that would dissuade me from a school because of a large frat presence

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Grizz wrote:Thread is a relic of when I used to be cool.
Before you became a caricature that just posted lawschoolnumbers.com in every thread.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Any SEC school

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 pm

So 2011 Grizz are the Vandy law students as fratty as the undergrads? I've heard y'all can out-drink the undergrads.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:41 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:So 2011 Grizz are the Vandy law students as fratty as the undergrads? I've heard y'all can out-drink the undergrads.
I dunno about the second question, but people party a LOT.

Magnolia

Silver

Post by Magnolia » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Grizz wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote:So 2011 Grizz are the Vandy law students as fratty as the undergrads? I've heard y'all can out-drink the undergrads.
I dunno about the second question, but people who aren't me party a LOT.
Fixed that for ya :wink:

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am

Magnolia wrote:
Grizz wrote:
I dunno about the second question, but people who aren't me party a LOT.
Fixed that for ya :wink:
I'm cashing in that dinner you owe me this week, just for that.

Moultdog

New

Post by Moultdog » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Everything about this thread feels really Eastern to me. It could be just because I've never heard of any of the brands or clothing types talked about here, but as a Southern Californian, I'm really confused. I don't think we really have an equivalent of what you describe as "fratty". Even Berkeley and UCLA kids wear flip flops and T-shirts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”