shbe0701

New

Re: UCLA ASD

Post by shbe0701 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:10 am

forthewin

New

Post by forthewin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:08 pm

WheninLaw wrote:Just got home - was really unimpressed with the ASW.

I do think the school does a great job of selling itself on its best feature - location, location, location. The weather is beautiful, UCLA is an amazing campus, and the student body seems really happy. However, the overemphasis on this had me leaving with a very critical eye.

There was zero discussion on employment statistics, placement numbers, clerkship potential, etc. I have been to other ASW's (two of MVPB), and it felt like there was a significant focus on after law school. Not at UCLA. This was the first school that didn't include employment information with the other documents. My conversations with students was almost deer in headlights. The 2 hours of speeches in the beginning were great, but amounted to "where else can you study on the beach." It was a sales pitch I wanted in going to undergraduate school, not law school.

Maybe in the minority here. But I left the ASW feeling very worried about career prospects at UCLA.

I left unimpressed as well. The 2 hour panel at the beginning was pretty uninformative of the aspects I cared about. It was also dry and boring. However, the mock class was actually good (Group A). And the entertainment law program (table eight) had an informative professor who answered any questions/concerns I had about the program, internships, and jop prospects. I did not go to the financial aid discussion or the Q & A. But when I got home and went over the days events in my head, I realized I didnt really like the feel of the school...which makes me worried because this is the school I was leaning towards before the weekend...

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:25 pm

I do think the school does a great job of selling itself on its best feature - location, location, location. The weather is beautiful, UCLA is an amazing campus, and the student body seems really happy. However, the overemphasis on this had me leaving with a very critical eye.

There was zero discussion on employment statistics, placement numbers, clerkship potential, etc. I have been to other ASW's (two of MVPB), and it felt like there was a significant focus on after law school. Not at UCLA. This was the first school that didn't include employment information with the other documents. My conversations with students was almost deer in headlights. The 2 hours of speeches in the beginning were great, but amounted to "where else can you study on the beach." It was a sales pitch I wanted in going to undergraduate school, not law school.

Maybe in the minority here. But I left the ASW feeling very worried about career prospects at UCLA.
I get this, I guess the big push from them was, most of our information is pretty readily available, if you have particular questions, ask. At lunch I spoke with the director of career services and a few other current students and I asked them those hard questions re:employment prospects and how much of the class has issues getting jobs and i was VERY pleased with the answers I got, both from current students and staff.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Last edited by horrorbusiness on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:16 pm

forthewin wrote:

Same. I went to the March ASD and left unimpressed. I felt like there was a lot of filler in their program, which was short to begin with.

I left unimpressed as well. The 2 hour panel at the beginning was pretty uninformative of the aspects I cared about. It was also dry and boring. However, the mock class was actually good (Group A). And the entertainment law program (table eight) had an informative professor who answered any questions/concerns I had about the program, internships, and jop prospects. I did not go to the financial aid discussion or the Q & A. But when I got home and went over the days events in my head, I realized I didnt really like the feel of the school...which makes me worried because this is the school I was leaning towards before the weekend...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

utopian_grrl

New

Post by utopian_grrl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much and only went to UCLA's ASW because I happened to be in California at the time - but I was really impressed with their ASW. Unlike some other schools (which I shall not name in this thread), they really made an effort to get faculty, current and former students actively involved in recruiting students. Plus, they had good food and an organized presentation.

Yeah, they definitely emphasized location - but let's face it, the majority of people who apply and eventually go to UCLA will choose it over other schools because of its location and an ultimate desire to settle in LA. And although I enjoyed spending one of my days there lying on the beach, LA is not my ideal location - so I'm probably not the sort of person where the pitch will be effective...

I think UCLA is a very specific law school whose sales pitch will be effective on the type of people who will ultimately be happy there.

horrorbusiness

Silver

Post by horrorbusiness » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:23 pm

utopian_grrl wrote:Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much and only went to UCLA's ASW because I happened to be in California at the time - but I was really impressed with their ASW. Unlike some other schools (which I shall not name in this thread), they really made an effort to get faculty, current and former students actively involved in recruiting students. Plus, they had good food and an organized presentation.

Yeah, they definitely emphasized location - but let's face it, the majority of people who apply and eventually go to UCLA will choose it over other schools because of its location and an ultimate desire to settle in LA. And although I enjoyed spending one of my days there lying on the beach, LA is not my ideal location - so I'm probably not the sort of person where the pitch will be effective...

I think UCLA is a very specific law school whose sales pitch will be effective on the type of people who will ultimately be happy there.
to their credit, the student/alumni/faculty involvement was pretty incredible as was the presentation. also to their credit, the ASW made me pretty certain i want to work in LA after law school regardless of where i end up attending. :mrgreen:

Golden Bear 11

Bronze

Post by Golden Bear 11 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:31 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:

I get this, I guess the big push from them was, most of our information is pretty readily available, if you have particular questions, ask. At lunch I spoke with the director of career services and a few other current students and I asked them those hard questions re:employment prospects and how much of the class has issues getting jobs and i was VERY pleased with the answers I got, both from current students and staff.
Did they say when they'll release 2011 employment data? I'm worried about career prospects, too, since other T14 and peer schools (i.e., USC) have posted this information already.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:16 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:

What did they say that made you feel more comfortable?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quantum_leaps

New

Post by quantum_leaps » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:14 pm

anyone know the ASD dates for the current cycle?

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Monday March 11 and Sunday April 7

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”