UCLA ASD Forum

(Where, When and What Did You Think)
itsirtou

Bronze

Re: UCLA ASD

Post by itsirtou » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:27 am

existenz wrote:
itsirtou wrote:I'm torn between UCLA and UVa, so I'll be at the ASD tomorrow! I'll be wearing a coral sweater with a white shirt underneath -- say hi if you see me!
I'm just imagining the awkwardness of approaching the wrong girl and asking if she is "itsirtou".
haha i should wear a different color shirt tomorrow

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:36 am

I will be there, most likely sporting an argyle sweater

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 am

i will also be there. woo

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm leaving now, wearing a green shirt and b&w converse all-stars.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:01 pm

existenz wrote:I'm leaving now, wearing a green shirt and b&w converse all-stars.
Nice meeting you hope I did not make things too awkward. Lol at my avatar failure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:13 pm

weee wrote:
existenz wrote:I'm leaving now, wearing a green shirt and b&w converse all-stars.
Nice meeting you hope I did not make things too awkward. Lol at my avatar failure
Haha, that was funny actually. Close enough! It was cool meeting in person. I didn't have time to look for itsirtou, would have been nice to meet her as well.

It was a good event, though it did feel a bit abbreviated for some reason. It would have been good if there had been a reception to close things out, preferably w/drinks and current students to talk with. I feel like most of my talking was with professors, alumni and administration.

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:19 pm

existenz wrote:
weee wrote:
Haha, that was funny actually. Close enough! It was cool meeting in person. I didn't have time to look for itsirtou, would have been nice to meet her as well.

It was a good event, though it did feel a bit abbreviated for some reason. It would have been good if there had been a reception to close things out, preferably w/drinks and current students to talk with. I feel like most of my talking was with professors, alumni and administration.
major +1 on this. i found myself excited about the school and then all of a sudden it was over and i was left with more questions but no venue. decent event, but a poor to choice not to have cocktails to top things off.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 am

empire84 wrote:
existenz wrote:
weee wrote:

major +1 on this. i found myself excited about the school and then all of a sudden it was over and i was left with more questions but no venue. decent event, but a poor to choice not to have cocktails to top things off.
you guys shoulda gone to the first reception. alchy all around

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 am

jay115 wrote:you guys shoulda gone to the first reception. alchy all around
I did. Which made me wonder why this one didn't have one. It was just kinda weird having that Q&A with administrators and then...nothing else. Oh well, UCLA is a great law school even if their events people aren't always on top of their game.

I really did like the lunch situation. Met some great professors there. The clinical class demonstration was fun, but felt 30 min too short. Ended just as it was getting good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:06 am

Were there any students at the second event? And if so, did they give you any reason to go to UCLA other than "it's got a good vibe"? That was the #1 answer I got from every student at the first event.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:57 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:Were there any students at the second event? And if so, did they give you any reason to go to UCLA other than "it's got a good vibe"? That was the #1 answer I got from every student at the first event.
i would imagine that would be the main reason to go. employment stats are public (espec. since you're a TLS member), its location in westwood is clearly obvious, its prestige as a T20 school is kind of obvious - I suppose students would want to tell you something about their decision that you couldn't discover by yourself.

Other comments I heard from students was that professors were really accessible and bat hard for you to get clerkships (specifically on the 9th circuit) if youre a strong candidate

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm

^^ were you asking about clinical placement in the Q&A session?

Another potentially interesting development was the Hilgard housing that they are building, but I don't believe it will actually get done by the time Fall and move in dates roll around.

bicoastal

New

Post by bicoastal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm

They emphasized that LA is the 2nd largest legal market in the country and you'll begin working and building those connections right when you begin. The LA economy will continue to function and excel even in a time of recession while Ann Arbor, Syracuse, etc are not exactly bustling. They also emphasized UCLA faculty will not come to class with a canned lecture. They are engaging and passionate, and ask students to be the same. I agree the event needed a proper finish. I ended at financial aid which wasn't the most uplifting way to leave. Overall a great day. I loved Bergman's clinical class!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:13 pm

weee wrote:^^ were you asking about clinical placement in the Q&A session?

Another potentially interesting development was the Hilgard housing that they are building, but I don't believe it will actually get done by the time Fall and move in dates roll around.
no, i asked about post-grad placement, but they do have a clinic/class to boost your chances of getting an appellate clerkship - of course they're quite competitive to get. I remember they told me the appellate clinic and the international law clinic are the two hardest clinics to get.

turkishangora

Bronze

Post by turkishangora » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:10 pm

jay115 wrote:

no, i asked about post-grad placement, but they do have a clinic/class to boost your chances of getting an appellate clerkship - of course they're quite competitive to get. I remember they told me the appellate clinic and the international law clinic are the two hardest clinics to get.
can you elaborate a bit? a 2L told me that everyone who wants a clinic can get one...but she probably meant not specific ones.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm

turkishangora wrote:
jay115 wrote:

can you elaborate a bit? a 2L told me that everyone who wants a clinic can get one...but she probably meant not specific ones.
exactly - you can get a clinic if you want, but not necessarily the one you want. for the international law clinic, bc you work with lawyers and clients abroad, like in serbia or with the icc, it has lots of demand. the student i talked to said if you took the international law class, then you should be able to take the clinic. similarly, if you have a good gpa standing and have taken classes that make you attractive to judges, like state and federal courts, then you should be competitive for the appellate court clinic.

undeclared

New

Post by undeclared » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm

I agree it ended rather awkwardly and I would have appreciated more interaction with the students. I certainly got a sense that the faculty and administration are very involved but I don't understand why they didn't involve the students more than just tabling.

The law school tour was weird cause the students spent half the time in one lecture hall, then didn't bother to show us the library. The building is pretty nice but the actual classrooms are a bit outdated.
a tour of weyburn would have been nice too...I'm feeling pretty incompetent right now as I've been looking at the website for more Weyburn info and can't find anything about pricing. Does anyone have the link/info?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 pm

undeclared wrote:I agree it ended rather awkwardly and I would have appreciated more interaction with the students. I certainly got a sense that the faculty and administration are very involved but I don't understand why they didn't involve the students more than just tabling.

The law school tour was weird cause the students spent half the time in one lecture hall, then didn't bother to show us the library. The building is pretty nice but the actual classrooms are a bit outdated.
a tour of weyburn would have been nice too...I'm feeling pretty incompetent right now as I've been looking at the website for more Weyburn info and can't find anything about pricing. Does anyone have the link/info?
They seriously didn't show you the library? It's really nice, so that doesn't make all that much sense. Maybe they didn't take you on a library tour because everyone's studying for finals?

Also, I don't have a link, but I think it's about 1k per month including all utilities. A friend of mine lives there and she definitely recommends it.

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

forty-two wrote:
undeclared wrote:I agree it ended rather awkwardly and I would have appreciated more interaction with the students. I certainly got a sense that the faculty and administration are very involved but I don't understand why they didn't involve the students more than just tabling.

They seriously didn't show you the library? It's really nice, so that doesn't make all that much sense. Maybe they didn't take you on a library tour because everyone's studying for finals?

Also, I don't have a link, but I think it's about 1k per month including all utilities. A friend of mine lives there and she definitely recommends it.
the more i look back on the event, it was bizarrely organized. not a reason to write off the school, but i wish i'd left with a better overall feeling.

undeclared

New

Post by undeclared » Wed May 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Yeah the students giving the tour were nice but had no idea how to give a tour. They decided to spend all of the time in a dark hallway outside the clinics, a large ugly lecture room, and the moot courtroom. Then they said they were out of time. We checked out the library on our own and it was nice.

I was pretty surprised since the feedback from previous ASD's was quite positive so I was expecting more.

teachteacha

New

Post by teachteacha » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joetheplumber

Bronze

Post by joetheplumber » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:58 pm

is it ok to bring a friend to ASW? Even though he is not a law school student?

cylon_clone

Bronze

Post by cylon_clone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:21 pm

joetheplumber wrote:is it ok to bring a friend to ASW? Even though he is not a law school student?
there may be space issues for the lunch and mock classes, but it's usually fine. best thing is to email and ask...
some schools discourage bringing guests because of the whole wanting-prospective-students-to-socialize-with-other-students thing.

joetheplumber

Bronze

Post by joetheplumber » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 pm

cylon_clone wrote:
joetheplumber wrote:is it ok to bring a friend to ASW? Even though he is not a law school student?
there may be space issues for the lunch and mock classes, but it's usually fine. best thing is to email and ask...
some schools discourage bringing guests because of the whole wanting-prospective-students-to-socialize-with-other-students thing.
I asked, they said a friend is fine. Cya guys there on admit day!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 am

Just got home - was really unimpressed with the ASW.

I do think the school does a great job of selling itself on its best feature - location, location, location. The weather is beautiful, UCLA is an amazing campus, and the student body seems really happy. However, the overemphasis on this had me leaving with a very critical eye.

There was zero discussion on employment statistics, placement numbers, clerkship potential, etc. I have been to other ASW's (two of MVPB), and it felt like there was a significant focus on after law school. Not at UCLA. This was the first school that didn't include employment information with the other documents. My conversations with students was almost deer in headlights. The 2 hours of speeches in the beginning were great, but amounted to "where else can you study on the beach." It was a sales pitch I wanted in going to undergraduate school, not law school.

Maybe in the minority here. But I left the ASW feeling very worried about career prospects at UCLA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Visits”