Waitlisted at GULC with 174, 3.9 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mruskin

New

Waitlisted at GULC with 174, 3.9

Post by mruskin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:50 pm

This past Friday, I learned that I was placed on Georgetown's preferred waiting list. It's the first decision I received, and it's worrying because GULC is the least competitive of the schools to which I applied. I suppose I expected to get in, since my GPA (3.9) and LSAT (174) are above the 75th percentiles. I've been told my personal statement is very strong, though my extracurriculars are middling (I'm also applying straight out of college). I did an interview via Skype with a GULC alum in early December, which I thought went reasonably well.
I know I'll just have to wait and see what happens with the rest of my applications, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this decision.

QContinuum

Re: Waitlisted at GULC with 174, 3.9

Post by QContinuum » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Unless you have a backstabbing LOR writer, or wrote the worst PS in the history of law school applications, this is almost certainly nothing more than yield protection on Georgetown's part. They know that 3.9/174 applicants are extremely unlikely to end up matriculating.

Hang tight. You should start hearing much better news from higher-ranked schools soon!

da.goat

New

Post by da.goat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 pm

mruskin wrote:This past Friday, I learned that I was placed on Georgetown's preferred waiting list. It's the first decision I received, and it's worrying because GULC is the least competitive of the schools to which I applied. I suppose I expected to get in, since my GPA (3.9) and LSAT (174) are above the 75th percentiles. I've been told my personal statement is very strong, though my extracurriculars are middling (I'm also applying straight out of college). I did an interview via Skype with a GULC alum in early December, which I thought went reasonably well.
I know I'll just have to wait and see what happens with the rest of my applications, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this decision.
I had similar numbers, and was also waitlisted at Georgetown. I got into almost every T14 above it though, so I wouldn't worry! Definitely seems like yield protect.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:45 am

QContinuum wrote:Unless you have a backstabbing LOR writer, or wrote the worst PS in the history of law school applications, this is almost certainly nothing more than yield protection on Georgetown's part. They know that 3.9/174 applicants are extremely unlikely to end up matriculating.

Hang tight. You should start hearing much better news from higher-ranked schools soon!
Yes it’s yield protect. Georgetown is almost certainly correct here as I expect OP will attend elsewhere.

sash

New

Post by sash » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Yield protection. Enjoy going to a t6 or a full ride at a t12!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”