Deferred at UChicago Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PhilosophicalPug

New

Deferred at UChicago

Post by PhilosophicalPug » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:33 pm

170 LSAT, 3.95 GPA. Applied ED, slightly shocked I didn't get in. Does anyone know if this is just a soft rejection or do I actually stand a chance RD?

cavalier1138

Re: Deferred at UChicago

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:21 am

According to MyLSN, it's not unusual for applicants with your numbers to get waitlisted (although it's not unusual for them to get admitted either). The catch is that Chicago's median went up a point last year, so your 170 actually puts you a point below the median, which likely explains the deferral.

On the plus side, now you aren't locked in to paying full price and can use your stellar numbers to go to a top school for much, much less than Chicago will end up costing you if you get in.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:11 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:On the plus side, now you aren't locked in to paying full price and can use your stellar numbers to go to a top school for much, much less than Chicago will end up costing you if you get in.
TITCR. Attending, say, Virginia on a full-ride (or near-full ride) is likely going to be a far better move than paying $$$ at Chicago.

PhilosophicalPug

New

Post by PhilosophicalPug » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Thank you! Any advice for what I can do to get accepted RD? Chicago is my dream.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:57 pm

PhilosophicalPug wrote:Thank you! Any advice for what I can do to get accepted RD? Chicago is my dream.
Retake and get a higher LSAT score. That's the only thing that's realistically going to move the needle in any significant way. In law school admissions, numbers are king. Your GPA is currently just below Chicago's 75%, and your 170 is just below Chicago's GPA 50%. You'd want to get the LSAT up to at least a 172 (above Chicago's LSAT 50%) to be a super strong candidate.

Why are you set on Chicago in particular? As noted above, you're currently in great position to get both acceptances and significant merit aid at many other T13s. For the vast majority of law students, a school like Virginia would work just as well as Chicago, results-wise. I know TLS always cries "retake," but without a compelling "Chicago or bust" reason, I'm honestly hesitant to advise someone with a great shot at attending a T13 at low cost to retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:06 am

If location is the main issue Northwestern merits a hard look. Their placement isn't markedly different enough to neglect entirely, especially when considering they might give you significant money to attend.

rokltlwk

New

Post by rokltlwk » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:48 am

PhilosophicalPug wrote:170 LSAT, 3.95 GPA. Applied ED, slightly shocked I didn't get in. Does anyone know if this is just a soft rejection or do I actually stand a chance RD?
Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you stand a chance in RD. By the way, did you interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”