Help me to decide if I should apply this cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tommiahipp

New

Help me to decide if I should apply this cycle

Post by Tommiahipp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:58 am

Hello everyone,

So I am looking at taking the January 2019 LSAT. I am testing really well, between 172-175 consistently, with a few outliers on either side. I was not planning on applying for this cycle, since I wanted to get the benefit of an early application, but I am starting to reconsider that. I am studying abroad right now and have had too much time on my hands. Thus, I have already written a solid enough PS and a diversity statement (geographic, never had a student from my school go to HYS, flyover, think hillbilly elegy-ish). My softs are what you would expect. I don't think these factors will push me up or down, unless HYS likes the idea of having some rural representation or something.

If I take the January LSAT and score say a 175, should I go ahead and apply this cycle? My GPA would be a 3.84. The only thing left to do is ask for letters of recommendation, which I could easily acquire over Christmas break. Essentially, at what LSAT score would applying earlier (like September next cycle) not really make a difference versus a February application? My goal is HYS at all costs, if not in at HYS I would most likely go to the school that gives me the most money in the T10.

For what it's worth, I also received an LSAC waiver. If I apply to schools this cycle and didnt like my results, does anyone know if I still have complete access to CAS and that whole deal?

Thanks for any advice.

kellyjohnson

New

Re: Help me to decide if I should apply this cycle

Post by kellyjohnson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 am

For Y, it doesnt matter when you apply. you have the same chance in february as you do in september.

For H (and likely S, though not as sure with S), it does matter. If you wait until the end of the cycle, you can see how many 175+ scorers there are. If there are 400-500 (as there were two years ago), then you probably have a good shot with a 175+ even in February. If there are 600-700 175+ scorers, then it would probably be much better to apply in october. I'm not sure what you lose by "shooting your shot" though. You can always reapply the next year if you dont get in.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am

I don't think there would be harm in applying if you hit a 175. Even if you're late, it's possible that an admissions dean will realize your numbers would be very valuable for a future cycle, and make you a great offer if you commit to attending one year later. I've heard this happen before.

Tommiahipp

New

Post by Tommiahipp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Yeah, I am in the mindset of why not shoot my shot. Obviously this is all contingent upon a solid LSAT in January.

Can anyone speak to how applying and getting rejected affects your odds in the next cycle? Or how applying and getting accepted, but not getting the $$ you want would affect you the next application cycle? My GPA would be a touch higher, I would have another solid internship, and probably have another paper published if I waited until next cycle, so I think there is a reasonable chance I would get awarded more $$ the next cycle, so long as there isn't any bias against repeat applicants.

Does anyone know if the LSAC fee waiver is good forever, or only for one cycle? Eg, if I apply in February and don't have the cycle I want, will the CAS system and everything else still be free to me when I apply again in September? I will send LSAC an email today, but just curious if anyone else was in this situation.

Thanks all! I appreciate all the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”