WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
blair.waldorf

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby blair.waldorf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm

casebonk wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:current 2L. happy to answer any qs.


Do you feel like a lot of students get jobs near St. Louis? I like everything I've heard about WashU, but it's not near a major legal market. Wondering what it does to make up for that.

Separately, to add to the admits posts:

GPA > 75; LSAT betw 25 and 50;
Applied 10/26;
complete interview 11/12;
acceptance via email 11/21;
scholarship info 11/29.


A lot of students work in STL, but STL biglaw firms [and I'd assume even moreso for mid sized law firms] require very strong ties to the area. There just aren't that many spots available with 7 biglaw firms. So a lot of students work in STL, but much of that is self-selection: students with strong ties here who want to stay here long-term might choose Wash U over say, Georgetown, because they're worried that that will show lack of commitment to the area.

There's also a LOT of people going to New York, quite a few going to Chicago, and a lot of people who are from a secondary market are going back there after graduation [Cleveland, Kansas City, Minneapolis, etc.]. I'm going to Houston [as are a few other people but Wash U has suboptimal TX placement].

pipedream

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby pipedream » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:00 pm

...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:Because there's no edit button:

According to LSN, I'm > 75% GPA and just below 50% LSAT. Their numbers seem outdated though, and it seems odd that the median LSAT would be 167 but the 75% was 168. WUSTL's class profile lists 3.81 and 168 as the medians, in which case I'm just above and just below, respectively.

Maybe their trying to figure out how to decipher my GPA, which could be interpreted as anything between 3.72 and 3.9x :roll:



Median - the middle number in a data set.


Yes, which would imply that half the numbers are above it. But if the 75th percentile is only one point above the median, then there would be an unusually large cluster exactly at the median

...Frank_Stallone

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby ...Frank_Stallone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm

pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:Because there's no edit button:

According to LSN, I'm > 75% GPA and just below 50% LSAT. Their numbers seem outdated though, and it seems odd that the median LSAT would be 167 but the 75% was 168. WUSTL's class profile lists 3.81 and 168 as the medians, in which case I'm just above and just below, respectively.

Maybe their trying to figure out how to decipher my GPA, which could be interpreted as anything between 3.72 and 3.9x :roll:



Median - the middle number in a data set.


Yes, which would imply that half the numbers are above it. But if the 75th percentile is only one point above the median, then there would be an unusually large cluster exactly at the median



I'm failing to see why this is odd to you.

https://www.lstreports.com/national/admissions/

75th percentile at every school in T25 is within 1-2 points of their respective medians.

and nothing "unusual" about the distribution either.

https://www.lsac.org/sites/default/files/legacy/docs/default-source/data-%28lsac-resources%29-docs/lsat-score-distribution.pdf

pipedream

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby pipedream » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:59 pm

...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:Because there's no edit button:

According to LSN, I'm > 75% GPA and just below 50% LSAT. Their numbers seem outdated though, and it seems odd that the median LSAT would be 167 but the 75% was 168. WUSTL's class profile lists 3.81 and 168 as the medians, in which case I'm just above and just below, respectively.

Maybe their trying to figure out how to decipher my GPA, which could be interpreted as anything between 3.72 and 3.9x :roll:



Median - the middle number in a data set.


Yes, which would imply that half the numbers are above it. But if the 75th percentile is only one point above the median, then there would be an unusually large cluster exactly at the median



I'm failing to see why this is odd to you.

https://www.lstreports.com/national/admissions/

75th percentile at every school in T25 is within 1-2 points of their respective medians.

and nothing "unusual" about the distribution either.

https://www.lsac.org/sites/default/files/legacy/docs/default-source/data-%28lsac-resources%29-docs/lsat-score-distribution.pdf


Sorry, I don't mean in terms of law school applications (rather, in the context of selective applications). It's the raw statistics that make it unusual to me. Specifically, a 167 is higher than 94.7% of scores, depending on testing cycle, yet 25% of applicants had exactly that score in order for the median and 75th percentile to be 167 and 168, respectively. The contributing factors explain it (i.e. people who score that high tend to apply to specific schools), but it still looks odd at a broad view. Shows how exclusive the preferences are for people scoring in that range

...Frank_Stallone

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby ...Frank_Stallone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:11 pm

pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:Because there's no edit button:

According to LSN, I'm > 75% GPA and just below 50% LSAT. Their numbers seem outdated though, and it seems odd that the median LSAT would be 167 but the 75% was 168. WUSTL's class profile lists 3.81 and 168 as the medians, in which case I'm just above and just below, respectively.

Maybe their trying to figure out how to decipher my GPA, which could be interpreted as anything between 3.72 and 3.9x :roll:



Median - the middle number in a data set.


Yes, which would imply that half the numbers are above it. But if the 75th percentile is only one point above the median, then there would be an unusually large cluster exactly at the median



I'm failing to see why this is odd to you.

https://www.lstreports.com/national/admissions/

75th percentile at every school in T25 is within 1-2 points of their respective medians.

and nothing "unusual" about the distribution either.

https://www.lsac.org/sites/default/files/legacy/docs/default-source/data-%28lsac-resources%29-docs/lsat-score-distribution.pdf


Sorry, I don't mean in terms of law school applications (rather, in the context of selective applications). It's the raw statistics that make it unusual to me. Specifically, a 167 is higher than 94.7% of scores, depending on testing cycle, yet 25% of applicants had exactly that score in order for the median and 75th percentile to be 167 and 168, respectively. The contributing factors explain it (i.e. people who score that high tend to apply to specific schools), but it still looks odd at a broad view. Shows how exclusive the preferences are for people scoring in that range



no. that's not how that works.

pipedream

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby pipedream » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:18 pm

...Frank_Stallone wrote:no. that's not how that works.


Feel free to explain. I'm running on three hours of sleep, so I could easily be overlooking something

pipedream

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby pipedream » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:33 pm

Lack of sleep aside:

If 168 and above marks the upper 25%, and 167 marks the median/50%, where do 51-74% go without affecting the 167 and 168 marks?

Or is there a definitional difference I'm overlooking?

SuperSplitter18

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby SuperSplitter18 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 am

I'm inclined to agree with PipeDream. what does an example class look like? from 148,152,159,160,160,160------ to 172,172,173,174, 174, etc.


Thanks!

knightcap

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby knightcap » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm

SuperSplitter18 wrote:I'm inclined to agree with PipeDream. what does an example class look like? from 148,152,159,160,160,160------ to 172,172,173,174, 174, etc.


Thanks!


Imagine a class of 100 people. 50 of these got a 167, 25 got a 166 or lower, and 25 got a 168 or higher. This would result in a median of 167 and a 75th percentile of 168. BTW, the mode is also 167, or the most common score.

...Frank_Stallone

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby ...Frank_Stallone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:43 pm

pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:no. that's not how that works.


Feel free to explain. I'm running on three hours of sleep, so I could easily be overlooking something



This link explains it in a very concise manner.

https://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/

playing around with the calculator might help clarify this concept as well

https://goodcalculators.com/percentile-calculator/




the tl:dr? statistics are dumb

pipedream

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby pipedream » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:30 pm

...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:no. that's not how that works.


Feel free to explain. I'm running on three hours of sleep, so I could easily be overlooking something



This link explains it in a very concise manner.

https://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/

playing around with the calculator might help clarify this concept as well

https://goodcalculators.com/percentile-calculator/




the tl:dr? statistics are dumb


I enjoyed stats up until calculating AUC by hand, but I was a psych major and had to do that often (so damn time consuming). Anyway, short version: I mistakenly converted percentile range 51-74 to a percentage yesterday (tired brain is dumb), but I have to stick with my assessment that there's a (likely fairly large) cluster at 167.

Long version: Without knowing how many applicants there were or their specific scores, knowing that 168 is the 75th percentile tells me that 25% of applicants' scores were at or above that number. Since the median is 167, percentiles 51-74 can't be greater than 167, or else 168 and above would represent more than 25% of the scores. And since no more than half of the scores can be below 167 and there are no decimal LSAT scores, those extra scores (51st-74th percentiles) must be 167 (and this is where I made the mistake of saying 25% yesterday). If the specific values were known, then we could use the r=(p/100)*n formula, but as it stands we can only infer from the few metrics given. (FWIW, the lack of wiggle room there resulting from the one-point difference is what seemed so odd to me, context aside, especially when dealing with scores that already represent such a small percentage of a population)

...Frank_Stallone

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby ...Frank_Stallone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:42 pm

pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:
pipedream wrote:
...Frank_Stallone wrote:no. that's not how that works.


Feel free to explain. I'm running on three hours of sleep, so I could easily be overlooking something



This link explains it in a very concise manner.

https://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/

playing around with the calculator might help clarify this concept as well

https://goodcalculators.com/percentile-calculator/




the tl:dr? statistics are dumb


I enjoyed stats up until calculating AUC by hand, but I was a psych major and had to do that often (so damn time consuming). Anyway, short version: I mistakenly converted percentile range 51-74 to a percentage yesterday (tired brain is dumb), but I have to stick with my assessment that there's a (likely fairly large) cluster at 167.

Long version: Without knowing how many applicants there were or their specific scores, knowing that 168 is the 75th percentile tells me that 25% of applicants' scores were at or above that number. Since the median is 167, percentiles 51-74 can't be greater than 167, or else 168 and above would represent more than 25% of the scores. And since no more than half of the scores can be below 167 and there are no decimal LSAT scores, those extra scores (51st-74th percentiles) must be 167 (and this is where I made the mistake of saying 25% yesterday). If the specific values were known, then we could use the r=(p/100)*n formula, but as it stands we can only infer from the few metrics given. (FWIW, the lack of wiggle room there resulting from the one-point difference is what seemed so odd to me, context aside, especially when dealing with scores that already represent such a small percentage of a population)


incorrect:

Results
75th percentile = 168
Solution:
Step 1. Arrange the data in ascending order: 161, 161, 163, 164, 164, 167, 168, 168, 168, 171, 172
Step 2. Compute the position of the pth percentile (index i):
i = (p / 100) * n), where p = 75 and n = 11
i = (75 / 100) * 11 = 8.25
Step 3. The index i is not an integer, round up. (i = 9) ⇒ the 75th percentile is the value in 9th position, or 168
Answer: the 75th percentile is 168
https://goodcalculators.com/percentile-calculator/
© 2015-2018 goodcalculators.com



but, doesn't matter.

what does matter is you being accepted to WUSTL, and I sincerely hope you are.

best of luck this cycle.

casebonk

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby casebonk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
casebonk wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:current 2L. happy to answer any qs.


Do you feel like a lot of students get jobs near St. Louis? I like everything I've heard about WashU, but it's not near a major legal market. Wondering what it does to make up for that.

Separately, to add to the admits posts:

GPA > 75; LSAT betw 25 and 50;
Applied 10/26;
complete interview 11/12;
acceptance via email 11/21;
scholarship info 11/29.


A lot of students work in STL, but STL biglaw firms [and I'd assume even moreso for mid sized law firms] require very strong ties to the area. There just aren't that many spots available with 7 biglaw firms. So a lot of students work in STL, but much of that is self-selection: students with strong ties here who want to stay here long-term might choose Wash U over say, Georgetown, because they're worried that that will show lack of commitment to the area.

There's also a LOT of people going to New York, quite a few going to Chicago, and a lot of people who are from a secondary market are going back there after graduation [Cleveland, Kansas City, Minneapolis, etc.]. I'm going to Houston [as are a few other people but Wash U has suboptimal TX placement].


Ok, I'm glad folks are going to NY. I'm from NY (upstate) but will likely want to return for NYC or to the area I'm from. It seems like it'll be helpful to spend my summer internships in NY if I go WUSTL.

bigoil69

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby bigoil69 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:51 pm

blair.waldorf wrote:
casebonk wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:current 2L. happy to answer any qs.


Do you feel like a lot of students get jobs near St. Louis? I like everything I've heard about WashU, but it's not near a major legal market. Wondering what it does to make up for that.

Separately, to add to the admits posts:

GPA > 75; LSAT betw 25 and 50;
Applied 10/26;
complete interview 11/12;
acceptance via email 11/21;
scholarship info 11/29.


A lot of students work in STL, but STL biglaw firms [and I'd assume even moreso for mid sized law firms] require very strong ties to the area. There just aren't that many spots available with 7 biglaw firms. So a lot of students work in STL, but much of that is self-selection: students with strong ties here who want to stay here long-term might choose Wash U over say, Georgetown, because they're worried that that will show lack of commitment to the area.

There's also a LOT of people going to New York, quite a few going to Chicago, and a lot of people who are from a secondary market are going back there after graduation [Cleveland, Kansas City, Minneapolis, etc.]. I'm going to Houston [as are a few other people but Wash U has suboptimal TX placement].


Dallas and Houston are my target markets, so I’m glad to hear that at least some WashU students are placing in Texas. Is this a combination of location self-selection and limited Texas interview opportunities? How did you go about finding a Houston position? Thanks!

sph724

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:35 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby sph724 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 am

Just had my interview today and felt really good about it! Do feel a little trepidation about the St Louis job market after graduating, is it difficult to break into Chicago after graduating? I feel like Chicago is where I would like to end up after school

Vosem

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby Vosem » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 pm

If I interviewed a while back (went complete 12/3, interviewed 12/15), but I haven't gotten any word from them in spite of the usual quick turnaround (but I have gotten ads for scholarships, so it isn't as though they're completely silent -- just no word on admission), should I reach out to them in some fashion? Going through some of the WUSTL threads on these boards, it seems like having to wait a month after the interview is unusual.

nosymbols

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby nosymbols » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Vosem wrote:If I interviewed a while back (went complete 12/3, interviewed 12/15), but I haven't gotten any word from them in spite of the usual quick turnaround (but I have gotten ads for scholarships, so it isn't as though they're completely silent -- just no word on admission), should I reach out to them in some fashion? Going through some of the WUSTL threads on these boards, it seems like having to wait a month after the interview is unusual.


I'm having the same issue. It seems to be how it is this year: I went complete at the end of November and interviewed that week. The person I interviewed with said it would be at least 3-4 weeks before a decision and that they were backlogged with apps. I wouldn't reach out for at least another couple weeks, don't want to seem overly neurotic to admissions

User avatar
blair.waldorf

Bronze
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:52 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby blair.waldorf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 pm

bigoil69 wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:
casebonk wrote:
blair.waldorf wrote:current 2L. happy to answer any qs.


Do you feel like a lot of students get jobs near St. Louis? I like everything I've heard about WashU, but it's not near a major legal market. Wondering what it does to make up for that.

Separately, to add to the admits posts:

GPA > 75; LSAT betw 25 and 50;
Applied 10/26;
complete interview 11/12;
acceptance via email 11/21;
scholarship info 11/29.


A lot of students work in STL, but STL biglaw firms [and I'd assume even moreso for mid sized law firms] require very strong ties to the area. There just aren't that many spots available with 7 biglaw firms. So a lot of students work in STL, but much of that is self-selection: students with strong ties here who want to stay here long-term might choose Wash U over say, Georgetown, because they're worried that that will show lack of commitment to the area.

There's also a LOT of people going to New York, quite a few going to Chicago, and a lot of people who are from a secondary market are going back there after graduation [Cleveland, Kansas City, Minneapolis, etc.]. I'm going to Houston [as are a few other people but Wash U has suboptimal TX placement].


Dallas and Houston are my target markets, so I’m glad to hear that at least some WashU students are placing in Texas. Is this a combination of location self-selection and limited Texas interview opportunities? How did you go about finding a Houston position? Thanks!


I'm sorry, I just saw this!

Yeah, I'd say it's a combination of location self-selection and limited Texas interview opportunities. Similar stats will get you into UT, so a lot of people who are dead set on Texas will go to UT over Wash U. Only a couple of Texas firms come to our OCI, and the off campus interview program in Houston and Dallas only has a couple more firms that participate. If you don't have extremely high grades or something else on your resume that makes you really stand out, it can be tough to get a firm job outside of OCI, because your resume is being sent into a blackhole with thousands of others. My friend at UT has lower grades than I do and he received callbacks and offers at firms that I didn't even get a screener at. Not that he wasn't deserving (he very much is!), but it's easier when you can get in front of those firms at OCI instead of sending your resume to a recruiting contact with ten thousand resumes to sift through.

Short version: very high grades, lots of networking, and I applied very broadly. I ended up with a 1L SA in Houston. If you end up seriously considering Wash U, I'm happy to chat further and be candid. It's not impossible to get to Texas, but it's not easy, either. Just PM me.

dontapplywithGRE

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:25 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby dontapplywithGRE » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Any GRE only applicants to WUSTL here? I got waitlisted with 3.84, (V164, Q165, AW5.0). I thought of WUSTL as a safety, so I am pretty shocked. Especially after an interview that went well too.

Dads707

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 am

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby Dads707 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:32 am

Employment statistics were released for the 2018 class in the last week. >50% Clerkship or Biglaw placements. Missouri, New York, and Illinois were highest placement states.

https://7gxsl10eqdj9anba1k3swtoo-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/EmploymentSummary-2018.pdf

isgrne2395

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby isgrne2395 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Any waitlist movement out there? Or anyone get an update on timeline from them?

isgrne2395

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Re: WUSTL Class of 2022 Thread

Postby isgrne2395 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Anyone get an email from Wash U in the past week about the Waitlist? I received an email from them last Friday, basically saying they were impressed but admissions seemed unlikely and asking me if I wanted to remain on the waitlist. Just trying to gauge what it means and what other people are getting from them.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests