University of Houston Law Center waitlist? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Anthony187

New

University of Houston Law Center waitlist?

Post by Anthony187 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Hey everyone,

Is there anyone else on here who is or was on the University of Houston Law Center's waitlist? I'm on the waitlist with pretty much the median GPA and LSAT (either a little above or a little below).

Do I still have a chance at scholarship money? In your opinion, with medians on both the GPA and LSAT, is it likely i'll eventually be accepted?

The UH Law Center is my top choice and being on the waitlist is really making me anxious.

Anthony187

New

Re: University of Houston Law Center waitlist?

Post by Anthony187 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Anyone?

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Tue May 01, 2018 12:37 am

Can't speak to Houston specifically or schools in that general range but it is fairly uncommon for schools to offer $ to individuals on the waitlist, especially this late in the cycle. Basically, you need someone with a scholarship to pull out, the school not to have a bunch of people already accepted to be leveraging another offer to try and get money out of the school, and then for you to be at the top of the waitlist. I suppose it is possible but I wouldn't hold my breath for a scholarship offer form the waitlist.

Anthony187

New

Post by Anthony187 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:54 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:Can't speak to Houston specifically or schools in that general range but it is fairly uncommon for schools to offer $ to individuals on the waitlist, especially this late in the cycle. Basically, you need someone with a scholarship to pull out, the school not to have a bunch of people already accepted to be leveraging another offer to try and get money out of the school, and then for you to be at the top of the waitlist. I suppose it is possible but I wouldn't hold my breath for a scholarship offer form the waitlist.
Thank you for the response!

Do you think it's likely I'll get accepted if I'm median?

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Tue May 01, 2018 1:26 am

That really depends on how many people change their minds and withdraw an acceptance. There will be some movement between now and the second seat deposit deadline as people who have accepted get offers from better schools. With having numbers at the median, you probably have a better chance of getting off the waitlist than a lot of other people on the waitlist (assuming no red flags in your application). If you have not already reached out to the school and are certain you'd accept an offer of admissions, you may want to send a letter to admissions further expressing your interest and that you would accept an offer off of the waitlist. That said, getting off the waitlist after more than two weeks after the first seat deposit was due is not a high probability proposition.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anthony187

New

Post by Anthony187 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 am

I applied very late in the cycle. My file was complete on March 8th and I was put on the waitlist 8 days ago.

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 am

That added information certainly improves your chances of getting off the waitlist and would make a follow up letter to admissions more useful.
Where else did you apply/get in? If you applied that late in the cycle to your top choice, depending on your other options, you might consider (1) waiting out a year and reapplying or (2) proposing the idea of a deferred admission to Houston and see if that will get you off the waitlist and in for next year (this works on occasion because it helps the school's selectivity, offer/acceptance rate.

Anthony187

New

Post by Anthony187 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:05 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:That added information certainly improves your chances of getting off the waitlist and would make a follow up letter to admissions more useful.
Where else did you apply/get in? If you applied that late in the cycle to your top choice, depending on your other options, you might consider (1) waiting out a year and reapplying or (2) proposing the idea of a deferred admission to Houston and see if that will get you off the waitlist and in for next year (this works on occasion because it helps the school's selectivity, offer/acceptance rate.
Is it common for law schools to accept me off the waitlist in exchange for a defferel? If my GPA and LSAT are median, does this have a high likely for success?

I'd honestly love for UHouston to accept me off the waitlist in exchange for a defferel. How should I go about raising this?

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Post by ExperssioUnius » Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 am

I'm not sure how common it is but it does happen. A lot depends on (1) how create the admissions director is and (2) why they waitlisted you/how close to the top of the waitlist you are. If they waitlisted you because of how late in the cycle you applied, I think it is reasonable to give the deferral idea a shot. If you have not already sent them a continued letter of interest, I'd start with that and see what, if any, response you get. If getting off the waitlist and going this year is better than going next year, I'd wait to propose the deferral idea until after the second seat deposit deadline. Ultimately, the easiest way to propose the idea is to suggest that you so want to go to their school that you'd be willing to accept a deferred admission if that is the only way off the waitlist.

Anthony187

New

Post by Anthony187 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 am

ExperssioUnius wrote:I'm not sure how common it is but it does happen. A lot depends on (1) how create the admissions director is and (2) why they waitlisted you/how close to the top of the waitlist you are. If they waitlisted you because of how late in the cycle you applied, I think it is reasonable to give the deferral idea a shot. If you have not already sent them a continued letter of interest, I'd start with that and see what, if any, response you get. If getting off the waitlist and going this year is better than going next year, I'd wait to propose the deferral idea until after the second seat deposit deadline. Ultimately, the easiest way to propose the idea is to suggest that you so want to go to their school that you'd be willing to accept a deferred admission if that is the only way off the waitlist.
Thanks man! I hope it works out. I'll see what response I get from the Director of Admissions in the morning!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”