Waitlisted at Baylor Law Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Baylor28

New

Waitlisted at Baylor Law

Post by Baylor28 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 am

Hey Everyone,

So I received a 150 on my Lsat (PTs were around a 152-155) and I have a 3.5 GPA with a pretty good resume.
I applied to Baylor Law for all 3 quarters and got rejected for the fall and got waitlisted for the Spring and Summer start.
My friend applied and has the same GPA but got a 153 on his Lsat. He was immediately admitted into the Spring and Summer and waitlisted for the fall.
I was rejected a week or two before the Spring Semester started. They're keeping me in the loop by telling me that they're impressed by my credentials and know that I'm committed to coming to Baylor Law, if the accept me. Are they stringing me along, or do they actually want me to attend Baylor Law? I've been accepted to South Texas College of Law with a couple grand in scholarship but obviously I want to go to Baylor. I have a follow up phone call with them in a few days, what do I say to win them over?

When going to Baylor for undergrad, I scored WELL below the avg for the SAT and the ACT and did just fine throughout Baylor for my undergrad double majoring in Accounting (3.0) and Real Estate (3.67)..

Baylor Law knows I’m super interested and FULLY committed to going there if they accept me.

PatriotP74

Silver

Re: Waitlisted at Baylor Law

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Baylor28 wrote:Hey Everyone,

So I received a 150 on my Lsat (PTs were around a 152-155) and I have a 3.5 GPA with a pretty good resume.
I applied to Baylor Law for all 3 quarters and got rejected for the fall and got waitlisted for the Spring and Summer start.
My friend applied and has the same GPA but got a 153 on his Lsat. He was immediately admitted into the Spring and Summer and waitlisted for the fall.
I was rejected a week or two before the Spring Semester started. They're keeping me in the loop by telling me that they're impressed by my credentials and know that I'm committed to coming to Baylor Law, if the accept me. Are they stringing me along, or do they actually want me to attend Baylor Law? I've been accepted to South Texas College of Law with a couple grand in scholarship but obviously I want to go to Baylor. I have a follow up phone call with them in a few days, what do I say to win them over?

When going to Baylor for undergrad, I scored WELL below the avg for the SAT and the ACT and did just fine throughout Baylor for my undergrad double majoring in Accounting (3.0) and Real Estate (3.67)..

Baylor Law knows I’m super interested and FULLY committed to going there if they accept me.

With a 3.5 GPA, PLEASE re take the LSAT, there is no reason for you to pay full price at a school like Baylor, ever.

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:33 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:

With a 3.5 GPA, PLEASE re take the LSAT, there is no reason for you to pay full price at a school like Baylor, ever.
3L here. They are stringing you along. Why do you want to go to Baylor? I was accepted to Baylor with a full ride and ran upon visiting and doing more research. You need to be top 15% to have any realistic shot at a "good-paying" job. Plus, it's a hyper-competitive atmosphere there, meaning that you will work your ass off every quarter (even the last one) at the possible cost of looking for jobs. This is important, if you fall outside the top 10-15% of your class. Bottom line: If you are paying $$$ in tuition at Baylor, you are making a mistake IMO.

Baylor28

New

Post by Baylor28 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 pm

PatriotP74 wrote:

I can't seem to do better man, I got a few PTs of 155 but nothing higher, and then the day of taking the LSAT I got a 150..
I don't know what the reason is. I know I'm capable of getting a good score, but frankly, I don't have the environment to study. I live at home to a traditional family where, yes, getting a degree and all means a lot, but there's just so much unnecessary stress that stays in your head even tho family says to just study and not worry about anything else. But i'm also the son that can't just 'ignore' what's going on with family business and all just because parents say to.

Baylor28

New

Post by Baylor28 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:16 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:

3L here. They are stringing you along. Why do you want to go to Baylor? I was accepted to Baylor with a full ride and ran upon visiting and doing more research. You need to be top 15% to have any realistic shot at a "good-paying" job. Plus, it's a hyper-competitive atmosphere there, meaning that you will work your ass off every quarter (even the last one) at the possible cost of looking for jobs. This is important, if you fall outside the top 10-15% of your class. Bottom line: If you are paying $$$ in tuition at Baylor, you are making a mistake IMO.

Can you PM me please.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Baylor28 wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:

I can't seem to do better man, I got a few PTs of 155 but nothing higher, and then the day of taking the LSAT I got a 150..
I don't know what the reason is. I know I'm capable of getting a good score, but frankly, I don't have the environment to study. I live at home to a traditional family where, yes, getting a degree and all means a lot, but there's just so much unnecessary stress that stays in your head even tho family says to just study and not worry about anything else. But i'm also the son that can't just 'ignore' what's going on with family business and all just because parents say to.

I do not mean this in a negative way at all. But maybe you should reconsider law school. You are going to encounter 100x the obstacles you are now in law school. There is no reason to go to law school with a 150 in todays economic environment. I spent 3 years doing what I could to improve upon my score. This was while working full time in a professional setting. I know I still didn't "max" my score at 165, but it was enough for me to make the right financial decision upon a school I felt would offer fair outcomes when compared to scholarship offered. The time and effort I spent studying for the LSAT was a joke compared to the time and effort it takes just to get a B in law school.

Now if you have some other way of paying it off without loans and you have some sort of family connection for a job afterwords, then hey go for it. But to take on a mass or even smaller amount of debt to go to Baylor is going to be a bad decision.

UT2017

New

Post by UT2017 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:20 am

Have you had any luck this application cycle? I just sent in my application for the Spring semester last week, and I’m trying to stay in touch with the admissions council so that they know I’m interested. However, I am in the same situation you were/are in. I have 150, and a 3.36 GPA. I keep getting 152-153 on the PTs, then go in and get a 146 and 150 on the real test. I know if I can get the 153, I’ll have a good shot at getting in.

Hope all is well.

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 am

Wait UT2017 I thought you had an LSAT 157?.. I would think that is good for Baylor? What is their median LSAT?

UT2017

New

Post by UT2017 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm

I wrote that post before I took my first LSAT. I was just making hopeful projections and seeing what people thought my chances would be. However, I have yet to reach that.

A 157 is good for Baylor’s Spring/Summer quarters, and it would most likely get you into their fall. Fall median is usually 160-161.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:01 am

Sorry to hear about that- if I were you I would retake. I don’t think I’m going to apply to Baylor. I have read and heard that the culture is very cut throat type A. I still want to see if I could score higher in the LSAT so I’ll take it again- scored 162 in Oct.

UT2017

New

Post by UT2017 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:48 pm

I retook it, and I got a 157 on the November LSAT! Hope you did well on yours, too, if you took it, @goingnutslawschool.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”