Lewis & Clark c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DorkothyParker

Bronze

Re: Lewis & Clark c/o 2021

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:41 pm

I do know that Lewis and Clark is expected to matriculate fewer students over the next few years so as to not overwhelm the local job market. I believe the goal is to matriculate ~160 students this coming year, down from ~170 this past year.

That does make me feel optimistic regarding job prospects.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm not going to sugar coat things: Lewis and Clark is a good school but the employment prospects could be better. I'm a 1L, but from what I've seen and heard from alumni/3Ls is that it's important to be above median (at a minimum) to have decent prospects.

You need to keep in mind that Lewis and Clark attracts a lot of public interest/legal aid types, so the big law/clerkship numbers may be misleading since so few want to "work for the man."

Portland also has a tiny insular market that cares tremendously about ties. There are only so many jobs, but that's slowly changing as the Portland population explodes and more businesses start up or relocate here.

Lewis and Clark is a solid choice, but the reality is that some people will strike out.

Good luck everybody!

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:55 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:I do know that Lewis and Clark is expected to matriculate fewer students over the next few years so as to not overwhelm the local job market. I believe the goal is to matriculate ~160 students this coming year, down from ~170 this past year.

That does make me feel optimistic regarding job prospects.
Yeah this will help a bit, especially with Wilamette and University of Oregon also cutting their classes down. But this is slightly offset by Portland's recent popularity and subsequent population boom, which I'm sure is bringing in more attorneys.

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:51 am

whodareswins wrote:Hi everybody,

I'm not going to sugar coat things: Lewis and Clark is a good school but the employment prospects could be better. I'm a 1L, but from what I've seen and heard from alumni/3Ls is that it's important to be above median (at a minimum) to have decent prospects.

You need to keep in mind that Lewis and Clark attracts a lot of public interest/legal aid types, so the big law/clerkship numbers may be misleading since so few want to "work for the man."

Portland also has a tiny insular market that cares tremendously about ties. There are only so many jobs, but that's slowly changing as the Portland population explodes and more businesses start up or relocate here.

Lewis and Clark is a solid choice, but the reality is that some people will strike out.

Good luck everybody!
Thank you very much for your insight, and honesty. Very refreshing and speaks to the integrity of the school actually, seeing that current students are not selling people on fiction. Highly appreciated. While your account is what I gathered from my research, it isn't dispositive to attending there, for me at least. As someone wanting to practice environmental law (for the good guys) I am still interested in L&C given they have the #2 enviro law program.

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:06 am

NukinFutz wrote:

Good luck everybody!
Thank you very much for your insight, and honesty. Very refreshing and speaks to the integrity of the school actually, seeing that current students are not selling people on fiction. Highly appreciated. While your account is what I gathered from my research, it isn't dispositive to attending there, for me at least. As someone wanting to practice environmental law (for the good guys) I am still interested in L&C given they have the #2 enviro law program.
You're very welcome!

The environmental program is really emphasized here and makes the school a great place to attend if that's in line with your career goals.

Another great thing about the school is how friendly and laid back 99% of the students are: We all share notes with students that missed class; classmates regularly hangout outside of school; and generally, there isn't a super gunner vibe because everybody has such differing career goals and respects the diversity that is present.

If anybody visits L&C I'd be happy to give you an unofficial tour or give you recommendations on what to do and see in Portland.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:05 pm

whodareswins wrote:Lewis and Clark 1L right here. Portland native. Let me know if you have any questions about the school or city or anything! Good luck everybody!
How did things go with scholarship negotiation?

whodareswins

Bronze

Post by whodareswins » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:59 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:
whodareswins wrote:Lewis and Clark 1L right here. Portland native. Let me know if you have any questions about the school or city or anything! Good luck everybody!
How did things go with scholarship negotiation?
I'm pretty sure they are willing to play ball. L&C doesn't do full ride scholarships but they do offer up to 120K, with tuition currently at 45K a year.

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 am

My 'complete' date changed again today. I don't see deposit requirements, does this mean I am getting the boot?

tacostacostacostacos

New

Post by tacostacostacostacos » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 am

NukinFutz wrote:My 'complete' date changed again today. I don't see deposit requirements, does this mean I am getting the boot?
No! My date changed and I received an acceptance email a few days later. But my status checker never changed. It doesn't have seat deposits, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:19 am

tacostacostacostacos wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:My 'complete' date changed again today. I don't see deposit requirements, does this mean I am getting the boot?
No! My date changed and I received an acceptance email a few days later. But my status checker never changed. It doesn't have seat deposits, etc.
Whew! Thanks for shedding light on this, I was figuring I was ding-city.

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Off the top, does anyone know the name of the Dean of Admissions? I'm not at home and I'm working on a letter. I did meet Dean Johnson and I interviewed with (my notes are at home), but neither would be the person I would want to address, I'd imagine. It might be on the acceptance letter, but I'm trying to sneak in personal activities at work. :)

Edit: I'm finding this - Assistant Dean for Admissions and Communications, Mimi Huang. Sound right?

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 pm

Received my acceptance email today! Thanks everyone for keeping me sane.

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Off the top, does anyone know the name of the Dean of Admissions? I'm not at home and I'm working on a letter. I did meet Dean Johnson and I interviewed with (my notes are at home), but neither would be the person I would want to address, I'd imagine. It might be on the acceptance letter, but I'm trying to sneak in personal activities at work. :)

Edit: I'm finding this - Assistant Dean for Admissions and Communications, Mimi Huang. Sound right?
Dean Johnson was what was listed at the bottom of my acceptance email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm

NukinFutz wrote:
DorkothyParker wrote:Off the top, does anyone know the name of the Dean of Admissions? I'm not at home and I'm working on a letter. I did meet Dean Johnson and I interviewed with (my notes are at home), but neither would be the person I would want to address, I'd imagine. It might be on the acceptance letter, but I'm trying to sneak in personal activities at work. :)

Dean Johnson was what was listed at the bottom of my acceptance email.

Thanks, I stopped being an impatient goober and checked my letters at home after work. Dean Johnson signed the acceptance letter and Assistant Dean Huang signed the scholarship letter. I went ahead and sent an email to her.

ToAbsolutelyNOBODY

New

Post by ToAbsolutelyNOBODY » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Can anyone tell me about the interviews?

if u are offered one but decide not to do it, is it a horrible decision?

hikensurf

New

Post by hikensurf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Good luck everybody!
L&C grad here practicing biggish law in biggish Portland. Pretty much echo above.

The only thing I would add is that the people you'd think would be employed after law school are employed, and the people you'd think wouldn't be employed after law school aren't employed. So, if you're not a dingus, don't worry about the stats. L&C is the best school to attend if you want to practice in Portland. Period.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”