Georgetown PT? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mmkkccc

New

Georgetown PT?

Post by mmkkccc » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:06 pm

I am considering the idea of doing law school part-time recently, and Georgetown really appeals to me in that sense. Admissions stats are lower for the part time program, so I am wondering if it is slightly easier to get into than the full-time? I know the acceptance percentage is typically low, but then why the poorer stats overall?

GULC4lyf

New

Re: Georgetown PT?

Post by GULC4lyf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:35 am

From what I have gathered and from who I have spoken to, the stats of those admitted to the PT program contribute to the overall median for the GPA/LSAT of that incoming class. The stats for the PT program are lower overall because there are fewer people that are willing to go into the PT program, and the applicants are not as qualified. When factoring in the stats of PT applicants, they are still ensuring that their medians are upheld or increased.

Hope that helps!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 am

I work with several ppl who are currently in the PT program. I think to a certain extent it’s just a different pool. It’s people who already work like crazy, possibly have families, commutes, etc. Their GPAs...who knows, because some have been out of school for some time. Their LSATs may not be as high because sinking a lot of time into studying is difficult with all the responsibilities listed above. What really recommends many of them is their work experience, their current positions, their drive to do more. Of course this is a generalization but it seems to be somewhat typical of the people I know in the program. And as someone who is more like that group (Work in a very demanding law firm job, ridiculous DC commute, family, and studying hard enough to get my LSAT score while keeping up with all of the above just about killed me), I think it would be a great group to attend law school with. If it would work for you I think it would be great. I guess what I’m saying is that the above comment that they are “less qualified” is problematic. Different qualifications, that’s all.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:06 am

I was in the PT program. If there is a quality difference (and there really isn't), it'd likely be in favor of the people with prior professional experience than the hordes of K-JDs, but either way it's still GULC so it's like arguing which garbage is the best garbage (I exaggerate... slightly).

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 am

But also don't do law school part time. Nobody deserves 4 years of law school.

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:But also don't do law school part time. Nobody deserves 4 years of law school.
Even if it results with 1/3 the debt vs full time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”