UGA Class of 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
reedm

New

Re: UGA Class of 2021

Post by reedm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

in via email! went complete 1/3 (yesterday). do they send scholarship offers later or with the initial email? i didn't have anything in mine.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm

reedm wrote:in via email! went complete 1/3 (yesterday). do they send scholarship offers later or with the initial email? i didn't have anything in mine.
You should receive a call and/or an email in the next few weeks.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:03 pm

Congratulations y'all. 3L at Georgia checking in to wish everyone the best of luck going forward.

When it comes to finding a place to live, I would suggest walking distance is preferable. I recommend Baldwin Village, as it's a 10 minute walk to the law school and downtown. Rent is something like $570/mo for a unit with hardwood floors. I lived in Archer on North for a while, but it requires driving to campus and I'm pretty sure that my neighbor there was a drug dealer. 909 is nice, but spendy.
The law school also has a roommate locator page, where people looking for roommates post up, so you can split a place.

The legal market in Athens itself is pretty small and does not have the same type of variety of work that you'll find in Atlanta. A couple of my classmates that will be staying in the area after graduating are working in family law, dispute resolution, prosecution, and criminal defense. If that's what you want to do, there are probably opportunities for you and the school is a great platform to network locally.
The Atlanta market is extremely competitive, but there are a lot of Georgia Law alumni in the area that are great to network with. Networking is very important, probably about as close to importance as your grades (in my subjective experience).

leslieknope3

New

Post by leslieknope3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:38 pm

I applied to UGA Law on 12/26/17 and my file has read "Your file is currently under review" since 12/29/17. I am very anxious to hear if I got accepted or not, especially since I saw on LSN that many people were accepted yesterday and I did not hear anything. My scores are pretty borderline for UGA- 3.57 GPA and 159 LSAT, but it is still my number one choice. Does anyone have any idea when I am likely to hear??

Delta887

New

Post by Delta887 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:48 pm

leslieknope3 wrote:I applied to UGA Law on 12/26/17 and my file has read "Your file is currently under review" since 12/29/17. I am very anxious to hear if I got accepted or not, especially since I saw on LSN that many people were accepted yesterday and I did not hear anything. My scores are pretty borderline for UGA- 3.57 GPA and 159 LSAT, but it is still my number one choice. Does anyone have any idea when I am likely to hear??
I have your same LSAT but a higher GPA and went under review back in September. I have not heard a word since from them. I do not have high hopes for an acceptance. Probably going to be waitlisted at this point. But best of luck to the both of us!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tyfabbri

New

Post by Tyfabbri » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 pm

In today via email after going complete on 1/2. Scholarship/"Tuition Equalization" information came a few minutes later in a separate email. Out of state applicant, but very excited about UGA! Good luck to everyone!

Tort Ellini

New

Post by Tort Ellini » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Has anyone else received a call from them? I got one a couple days ago and was really impressed. They just congratulated me, asked if I had any questions, and asked if I was really considering UGA law.

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Tort Ellini wrote:Has anyone else received a call from them? I got one a couple days ago and was really impressed. They just congratulated me, asked if I had any questions, and asked if I was really considering UGA law.
yeah i got a call from them today, definitely impressive

Tyfabbri

New

Post by Tyfabbri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:28 am

reedm wrote:
Tort Ellini wrote:Has anyone else received a call from them? I got one a couple days ago and was really impressed. They just congratulated me, asked if I had any questions, and asked if I was really considering UGA law.

Yep, got a call yesterday, but felt bad that I was unable to talk for very long.
On a different note, has anyone had any success with negotiating scholarships with UGA/ have a timeline for that process planned out?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tigerfan91

New

Post by tigerfan91 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:09 am

Tyfabbri wrote:
reedm wrote:

Yep, got a call yesterday, but felt bad that I was unable to talk for very long.
On a different note, has anyone had any success with negotiating scholarships with UGA/ have a timeline for that process planned out?

Piggybacking off of that, what schools would UGA consider "peers" for negotiating purposes, if they do negotiate?

pussypoppins

New

Post by pussypoppins » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:26 am

tigerfan91 wrote:
Tyfabbri wrote:
reedm wrote:

Piggybacking off of that, what schools would UGA consider "peers" for negotiating purposes, if they do negotiate?
I also have this question. How do they feel about FSU/UF/GSU?

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm

pussypoppins wrote:
I also have this question. How do they feel about FSU/UF/GSU?
I had 50% from FSU and it didn't help get much extra. On the other hand, I heard that someone negotiated successfully with WF. Honestly, just be forthcoming about what you have and see what they say. I would advise getting on it early, as the $$$ pool is limited and timing matters. I think I didn't get more $$ is because I applied fairly late in the process and my classmate applied early. I don't know what his WF offer was though. Disclaimer - this info is a couple of years old and purely anecdotal, so it's just to ballpark.

tigerfan91

New

Post by tigerfan91 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 am

reedm wrote:

Does UGA send anything in the mail or are they just phonecall/email??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ga706

New

Post by ga706 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:03 pm

I wonder if anyone has been WL'd yet...seems like that first round should be coming soon?

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:05 pm

ga706 wrote:I wonder if anyone has been WL'd yet...seems like that first round should be coming soon?
Pretty sure I'm going to be in that pile,so I'll keep you updated, UR since 10/17 lol

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:23 pm

tigerfan91 wrote:
reedm wrote:

Does UGA send anything in the mail or are they just phonecall/email??
I got my letter and scholarship letter in the mail today. I was accepted on 1/4

lollering_99

New

Post by lollering_99 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm

reedm wrote:in via email! went complete 1/3 (yesterday). do they send scholarship offers later or with the initial email? i didn't have anything in mine.
So you submitted, went complete the next day, and then accepted the day thereafter? Does everyone's status checker say under "committee" review and that it will likely take 6-8 weeks for a decision?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:11 pm

lollering_99 wrote:
So you submitted, went complete the next day, and then accepted the day thereafter? Does everyone's status checker say under "committee" review and that it will likely take 6-8 weeks for a decision?
Mine says this.

KoozBall

New

Post by KoozBall » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:09 pm

lollering_99 wrote:
Mine says this and I just passed the 8 week mark.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:15 pm

KoozBall wrote:
lollering_99 wrote:
I’m at 14 weeks and it still says that on mine. Not to mention that when I called to check the secretary flat out told me that she wouldn’t check on it for me because I have a status checker. :cry:

reedm

New

Post by reedm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:20 pm

TLS wrote:
KoozBall wrote:
lollering_99 wrote:
I’m at 14 weeks and it still says that on mine. Not to mention that when I called to check the secretary flat out told me that she wouldn’t check on it for me because I have a status checker. :cry:
Yeah so I submitted early in the morning on 1/2, then 1/3 it said completed, and then 1/4 around 1:30pm I got the acceptance email. I don't believe I ever checked it and it said "under review"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lizsten2me

New

Post by lizsten2me » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:49 am

rem1984 wrote:I'd also love some insight. Specifically: What are the best areas to live in close to North Campus, is it better to rent or buy, and has anyone had success negotiating a bigger scholarship? I'm in with $5k a year, and I would absolutely love to go there, but I'm aiming for less than ~$20k in debt after graduation. Oh, another question; is there a decent legal market in and around Athens? Is it a place a lawyer could stay forever and make decent (as in more than 75k) money? Or will you need to go to Atlanta? GO DAWGS!
Hi! I went to UGA for undergrad, and I LOVE Athens. My advice for living is avoid apartments and shoot for a house North / Northwest / West of campus within 1-2 miles. You do NOT need a car in Athens, so living close enough to North Campus to walk/bike everyday is super worth it. All of my classes were on North Campus and I never lived more than half a mile away from my classes and I NEVER paid more than $400 for rent (and I always had my own bathroom!!).

Some things in particular that are so special about Athens:
-The food is amaaaaaazing and SO cheap! You are hard pressed to find a good meal over $10.
-Music scene is so amazing. Of Montreal, The B52s, R.E.M., Reptar, and SO many other bands/music projects all come from Athens. A lot of the social scene revolves around going to shows to see local bands at all the venues downtown (there are a lot) or some cooler low-key spots like house parties and secret places (the Secret Squirrel is a place and it is a secret).
-Art scene! So many artists come to Athens just to be in the vibrant art scene. Tons of art and its very communal.
-"Townie" culture. People who have stayed in Athens for some years and are not keen on the frat culture are often referred to as "townies." These are basically progressive hippie types who all dress amazingly cool and weird and hang out on the side of town where the frat boys don't go. They are sweet and cool and hang out at places like Go Bar. These are the people to befriend in town.
-You will see your friends everywhere you go! Whether you are walking your dog to the coffee shop, going to brunch, or walking around North Campus, you will start seeing people you know everywhere. It is lovely. You really quickly feel like you have a community and a network, and that is a really nice thing to have.
-Athens is GORGEOUS. I remember walking to class in awe of beauty all throughout the seasons.

Some drawbacks to Athens:
-Frat culture gets very old very fast. A lot of intolerant, privileged boys perpetuating misogyny, trashing the town, and yelling dumb, offensive things out of their dumb amped up trucks at anyone who DOESN'T look like a frat boy. There is a very pervasive rivalry in town between the frat ppl and the non frat ppl. Once you have some maturity, you don't quite appreciate drunk, loud white boys puking on your steps, yelling and knocking over your trash cans.
-Athens is small. Most economic opportunity is in Atlanta, and that goes for law as well as most things people are studying at UGA. At one point, Athens-Clarke County was considered the poorest county in the country.
-Football is fun but it can be really overwhelming. If you're not participating in the festivities, seriously don't even try leaving your house.
-Drinking is ubiquitous. Fun & VERY cheap in Athens, but your alcohol tolerance will go up, you will end up spending more $$ to compensate, get a lil beer belly, and maybe become an alcoholic? But it is very much a part of the culture.

Ok very long post but I love Athens and really cherished my time living there, so I thought maybe this would be helpful for some people out there. DM me if anyone wants to know more!

rem1984

New

Post by rem1984 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 pm

lizsten2me wrote:
rem1984 wrote:I'd also love some insight. Specifically: What are the best areas to live in close to North Campus, is it better to rent or buy, and has anyone had success negotiating a bigger scholarship? I'm in with $5k a year, and I would absolutely love to go there, but I'm aiming for less than ~$20k in debt after graduation. Oh, another question; is there a decent legal market in and around Athens? Is it a place a lawyer could stay forever and make decent (as in more than 75k) money? Or will you need to go to Atlanta? GO DAWGS!
Hi! I went to UGA for undergrad, and I LOVE Athens. My advice for living is avoid apartments and shoot for a house North / Northwest / West of campus within 1-2 miles. You do NOT need a car in Athens, so living close enough to North Campus to walk/bike everyday is super worth it. All of my classes were on North Campus and I never lived more than half a mile away from my classes and I NEVER paid more than $400 for rent (and I always had my own bathroom!!).

Some things in particular that are so special about Athens:
-The food is amaaaaaazing and SO cheap! You are hard pressed to find a good meal over $10.
-Music scene is so amazing. Of Montreal, The B52s, R.E.M., Reptar, and SO many other bands/music projects all come from Athens. A lot of the social scene revolves around going to shows to see local bands at all the venues downtown (there are a lot) or some cooler low-key spots like house parties and secret places (the Secret Squirrel is a place and it is a secret).
-Art scene! So many artists come to Athens just to be in the vibrant art scene. Tons of art and its very communal.
-"Townie" culture. People who have stayed in Athens for some years and are not keen on the frat culture are often referred to as "townies." These are basically progressive hippie types who all dress amazingly cool and weird and hang out on the side of town where the frat boys don't go. They are sweet and cool and hang out at places like Go Bar. These are the people to befriend in town.
-You will see your friends everywhere you go! Whether you are walking your dog to the coffee shop, going to brunch, or walking around North Campus, you will start seeing people you know everywhere. It is lovely. You really quickly feel like you have a community and a network, and that is a really nice thing to have.
-Athens is GORGEOUS. I remember walking to class in awe of beauty all throughout the seasons.

Some drawbacks to Athens:
-Frat culture gets very old very fast. A lot of intolerant, privileged boys perpetuating misogyny, trashing the town, and yelling dumb, offensive things out of their dumb amped up trucks at anyone who DOESN'T look like a frat boy. There is a very pervasive rivalry in town between the frat ppl and the non frat ppl. Once you have some maturity, you don't quite appreciate drunk, loud white boys puking on your steps, yelling and knocking over your trash cans.
-Athens is small. Most economic opportunity is in Atlanta, and that goes for law as well as most things people are studying at UGA. At one point, Athens-Clarke County was considered the poorest county in the country.
-Football is fun but it can be really overwhelming. If you're not participating in the festivities, seriously don't even try leaving your house.
-Drinking is ubiquitous. Fun & VERY cheap in Athens, but your alcohol tolerance will go up, you will end up spending more $$ to compensate, get a lil beer belly, and maybe become an alcoholic? But it is very much a part of the culture.

Ok very long post but I love Athens and really cherished my time living there, so I thought maybe this would be helpful for some people out there. DM me if anyone wants to know more!
Wow, thanks, so much great information! I feel like I'm asking everybody this, but where did you find apartments/houses that close that were that cheap? I'm not really seeing them, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm

lizsten2me wrote: Hi! I went to UGA for undergrad, and I LOVE Athens...
That was a nice write up. One thing about being in the law school is that there is relatively little, if any interaction with undergrads. Law school is easily 10X the amount of work as undergrad, so there's a lot less free time. With the little free time that law students will have, Athens is bountiful with opportunities to take your mind off of that 80 page con law reading. Athens is great and I will certainly miss it after I graduate.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 am

Just got UGA's newsletter and they said they're expanding their presence in Atlanta, including increased networking events for law students. I think that's actually pretty huge considering the biggest thing people say in comparing UGA and Emory is that Emory is actually IN Atlanta, so it's easier to network your way into a job. It really looks like UGA is working hard to continue building up it's employment opps!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”