UGA Class of 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unsweetened

Silver

Re: UGA Class of 2021

Post by unsweetened » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:Just got UGA's newsletter and they said they're expanding their presence in Atlanta, including increased networking events for law students. I think that's actually pretty huge considering the biggest thing people say in comparing UGA and Emory is that Emory is actually IN Atlanta, so it's easier to network your way into a job. It really looks like UGA is working hard to continue building up it's employment opps!
Some people might not be aware of this, but there are LS classes that are offered at the Terry Business School's Buckhead campus. I remember going to at least two of the four or so networking events that the school did in Atlanta last semester. As a 1L, it certainly felt like there were not many networking events held in Atlanta (at least not by the LS). Furthermore, the LS offers a semester in practice in Atlanta as well as corporate externships that will help get students out into the marketplace. I am under the impression that funding for these practical experience/clinicals will be greatly increased and there is a stipend to go with it.

UGA24

New

Post by UGA24 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Hey Guys! Just Checking in. I am currently a UGA Undergraduate student and applied to UGA's law school on 10/21/17 and haven't heard anything yet! Good Luck to Everyone!

lizsten2me

New

Post by lizsten2me » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:32 pm

rem1984 wrote:
lizsten2me wrote:
rem1984 wrote:I'd also love some insight. Specifically: What are the best areas to live in close to North Campus, is it better to rent or buy, and has anyone had success negotiating a bigger scholarship? I'm in with $5k a year, and I would absolutely love to go there, but I'm aiming for less than ~$20k in debt after graduation. Oh, another question; is there a decent legal market in and around Athens? Is it a place a lawyer could stay forever and make decent (as in more than 75k) money? Or will you need to go to Atlanta? GO DAWGS!
Hi! I went to UGA for undergrad, and I LOVE Athens. My advice for living is avoid apartments and shoot for a house North / Northwest / West of campus within 1-2 miles. You do NOT need a car in Athens, so living close enough to North Campus to walk/bike everyday is super worth it. All of my classes were on North Campus and I never lived more than half a mile away from my classes and I NEVER paid more than $400 for rent (and I always had my own bathroom!!).

Some things in particular that are so special about Athens:
-The food is amaaaaaazing and SO cheap! You are hard pressed to find a good meal over $10.
-Music scene is so amazing. Of Montreal, The B52s, R.E.M., Reptar, and SO many other bands/music projects all come from Athens. A lot of the social scene revolves around going to shows to see local bands at all the venues downtown (there are a lot) or some cooler low-key spots like house parties and secret places (the Secret Squirrel is a place and it is a secret).
-Art scene! So many artists come to Athens just to be in the vibrant art scene. Tons of art and its very communal.
-"Townie" culture. People who have stayed in Athens for some years and are not keen on the frat culture are often referred to as "townies." These are basically progressive hippie types who all dress amazingly cool and weird and hang out on the side of town where the frat boys don't go. They are sweet and cool and hang out at places like Go Bar. These are the people to befriend in town.
-You will see your friends everywhere you go! Whether you are walking your dog to the coffee shop, going to brunch, or walking around North Campus, you will start seeing people you know everywhere. It is lovely. You really quickly feel like you have a community and a network, and that is a really nice thing to have.
-Athens is GORGEOUS. I remember walking to class in awe of beauty all throughout the seasons.

Some drawbacks to Athens:
-Frat culture gets very old very fast. A lot of intolerant, privileged boys perpetuating misogyny, trashing the town, and yelling dumb, offensive things out of their dumb amped up trucks at anyone who DOESN'T look like a frat boy. There is a very pervasive rivalry in town between the frat ppl and the non frat ppl. Once you have some maturity, you don't quite appreciate drunk, loud white boys puking on your steps, yelling and knocking over your trash cans.
-Athens is small. Most economic opportunity is in Atlanta, and that goes for law as well as most things people are studying at UGA. At one point, Athens-Clarke County was considered the poorest county in the country.
-Football is fun but it can be really overwhelming. If you're not participating in the festivities, seriously don't even try leaving your house.
-Drinking is ubiquitous. Fun & VERY cheap in Athens, but your alcohol tolerance will go up, you will end up spending more $$ to compensate, get a lil beer belly, and maybe become an alcoholic? But it is very much a part of the culture.

Ok very long post but I love Athens and really cherished my time living there, so I thought maybe this would be helpful for some people out there. DM me if anyone wants to know more!
Wow, thanks, so much great information! I feel like I'm asking everybody this, but where did you find apartments/houses that close that were that cheap? I'm not really seeing them, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
I lived in Whistlebury and River Mill which are older apt buildings close to campus. At the time (2011-2014) my rent stayed around $400. Looks like they've upped the rent since then some and renovated some, too. These are affordable options still, though and in walking/biking distance to campus and downtown. If not older apartment complexes, HOUSES are the way to go. Drawback is that the beautiful historic homes that will cost you $500-$700/bedroom will likely not be advertised until closer to your start date, they will go very fast, and probably be on Craigslist. Really though you need to have roommates for anything to be below $800/person FYI.

**IMPORTANT detail is that 90% of leases in Athens run August 1-July 31 to correspond with school year. So if you were looking for anything that would be available in the summer to move early, you'd most likely be looking at a sublet from someone gone for the summer.

For houses and older apt complexes, try looking in the following streets & surroundings areas when looking at a map:
-Around Prince Ave; N. Chase St; Barber St; Pulaski St.;
-North of Broad Street + South of Prince Ave+ Around Milledge Ave;
-South of Broad Street + North of Baxter + East of Milledge Ave;
-South of Baxter + East of Milledge Ave + Around South Lumpkin.

Everything I just listed is 20-40 minute walk; 10-25 min bike ride to law school

(https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/368- ... lpage=true)
(https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/893- ... lpage=true)
^^If I were you I would grab either of these houses in a heart beat, Boulevard is a great part of town and super reasonable price.

Don't be tempted by fancy onsite gyms or pools. UGA has a great gym you can go to since you pay tuition, and there is an established list of apartment complex pools around Athens you can break into at any time. lol.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:53 pm

lizsten2me wrote:
I lived in Whistlebury and River Mill which are older apt buildings close to campus. At the time (2011-2014) my rent stayed around $400. Looks like they've upped the rent since then some and renovated some, too. These are affordable options still, though and in walking/biking distance to campus and downtown. If not older apartment complexes, HOUSES are the way to go. Drawback is that the beautiful historic homes that will cost you $500-$700/bedroom will likely not be advertised until closer to your start date, they will go very fast, and probably be on Craigslist. Really though you need to have roommates for anything to be below $800/person FYI.
Whatever you do, don't live at Dearing Gardens. It's really close to campus and insanely cheap and they make it look nice in pictures but it's a total dump and management sucks. I got trapped one year and I don't want the same to happen to any of you fine people, lol.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Felix Dzierzynski

New

Post by Felix Dzierzynski » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Just got in with scholarship. I was just curious why nobody transfer out from UGA law when I went over their ABA report. Is there any policy that discourages transferring out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 pm

UGA24 wrote:Hey Guys! Just Checking in. I am currently a UGA Undergraduate student and applied to UGA's law school on 10/21/17 and haven't heard anything yet! Good Luck to Everyone!
Similar boat - been under review since middle Oct...

ga706

New

Post by ga706 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:21 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
UGA24 wrote:Hey Guys! Just Checking in. I am currently a UGA Undergraduate student and applied to UGA's law school on 10/21/17 and haven't heard anything yet! Good Luck to Everyone!
Same here...wonder what it could mean!

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:35 pm

ga706 wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Well hopefully not a rejection!

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Felix Dzierzynski wrote:Just got in with scholarship. I was just curious why nobody transfer out from UGA law when I went over their ABA report. Is there any policy that discourages transferring out?
Negative as far as any policy existing.
There were two transfers from my class. One went to WUSTL and the other went to Stanford. I think there were about 7 or so transfers in from places such as SMU, Kentucky, and John Marshall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:14 pm

unsweetened wrote:
Felix Dzierzynski wrote:Just got in with scholarship. I was just curious why nobody transfer out from UGA law when I went over their ABA report. Is there any policy that discourages transferring out?
Negative as far as any policy existing.
There were two transfers from my class. One went to WUSTL and the other went to Stanford. I think there were about 7 or so transfers in from places such as SMU, Kentucky, and John Marshall.
Certainly no policy against it. There were at least two my year - UChicago and someplace in Cali. This is speculation, but there may not be as many transfers because top of the class is pretty well set in Atlanta, and most people going to UGA have Atlanta as their preference anyway.

UGA24

New

Post by UGA24 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
ga706 wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
Well hopefully not a rejection!

At this point I am hoping no news is good news! UGA is my undergraduate institution and I want to practice in Atlanta; so UGA is my number one choice.

ga706

New

Post by ga706 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am

Welp...got the WL about a week ago. I wonder what a realistic chance is...and how many a "small number" is :shock:

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 pm

Best thing about UGA law is the amount of clinics and seminars available. Only "black letter law" class required after 1L is constitutional law (at least when I was there five years ago). I did all clinics and seminars in my 2L and 3L year except for const law and tax. It was awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Best thing about UGA law is the amount of clinics and seminars available. Only "black letter law" class required after 1L is constitutional law (at least when I was there five years ago). I did all clinics and seminars in my 2L and 3L year except for const law and tax. It was awesome.
It's part of the 1L curriculum now, so all the required BLL stuff is knocked out after the first year. They have it good.

ultratea

New

Post by ultratea » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 pm

I just got accepted along with a scholarship offer in my email! I was VERY surprised to receive a decision so quickly since I only submitted my application on Feb. 6. I definitely was not expecting a decision so quickly!

Tyfabbri

New

Post by Tyfabbri » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 pm

For people who have successfully negotiated with UGA, who did you contact and what was your timeline?

BigTex1980

New

Post by BigTex1980 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:31 pm

ultratea wrote:I just got accepted along with a scholarship offer in my email! I was VERY surprised to receive a decision so quickly since I only submitted my application on Feb. 6. I definitely was not expecting a decision so quickly!
I too was shocked after being accepted a week after submission. Nice to have an offer in the bag that quickly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tigerfan91

New

Post by tigerfan91 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Tyfabbri wrote:For people who have successfully negotiated with UGA, who did you contact and what was your timeline?
I haven't heard back yet, but if I do, I think I'd do it after the ASW? I've gotten into GSU, W&L, and WF. Would those be good peer schools to use?

stardom

New

Post by stardom » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm

Anyone being ghosted by UGA?

Hopef1l

New

Post by Hopef1l » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Thoughts on visiting the school after being waitlisted? Think it makes any difference?

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Tyfabbri wrote:For people who have successfully negotiated with UGA, who did you contact and what was your timeline?
Talk to Ramsey. No one else
Can really help. I called or emailed once a week. Went from no scholarship to 50% by being persistent and using my work experience to my advantage (came from a JD advantage job). They are stingy because tuition is cheap, but you can negotiate if you are persistent. Hopefully you have some offers from peer schools (I dangled a full ride from GSU and 75% from Emory and that also helped). Good luck and hopefully you get what you want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:47 pm

KtLaw747 wrote:
Can really help. I called or emailed once a week. Went from no scholarship to 50% by being persistent and using my work experience to my advantage (came from a JD advantage job). They are stingy because tuition is cheap, but you can negotiate if you are persistent. Hopefully you have some offers from peer schools (I dangled a full ride from GSU and 75% from Emory and that also helped). Good luck and hopefully you get what you want.
Did you end up going with uga or emory?

KtLaw747

New

Post by KtLaw747 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm

alhookem2020 wrote:
KtLaw747 wrote:
Did you end up going with uga or emory?
I ended up at UGA. At the end of the day, adding in cost of living, UGA was less expensive. Plus I plan on practicing on Atlanta, so it didn't make sense to pay more for roughly the same odds of landing a job in the ATL market. I also found the vibe at UGA was a bit more my style, competitive but still collegial. Whereas at Emory it felt less collegial and a bit more cutthroat. Also Athens, is just a fun place to spend three years and ATL is not that far away.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:05 am

What should we expect from the WL?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”