UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:01 pm

wombythewombat wrote:Another one in via status checker! 169/2.96 resident.

Any guesses as to how long it'll take for the e-mail?



Just got my email! and scholarship email is separate, but it was kinda disappointing.
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwil4142

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby pwil4142 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:03 pm

paralegaltolawyer3 wrote:
pwil4142 wrote:
paralegaltolawyer3 wrote:
pwil4142 wrote:In via status checker this morning! Resident, LSAT above 75th GPA just above median


Did your status checker ever change to UR?


No, UNC's only changes when you go complete and when they render a decision. I went complete 11/3


Thank you! :D My status checker says complete but doesn't have a date. I submitted mid-October so hoping for an answer soon.


Good luck!

User avatar
fastfretxfingers

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fastfretxfingers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:04 pm

I also received the scholarship information. I think it is okay high compared to COA.

wombythewombat

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wombythewombat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Ah, good to know about the acceptance and scholarship e-mails being separate. Did they arrive at the same time, for people who've gotten both? Relatedly, do they specify in the scholarship e-mail that it's non-negotiable?

User avatar
fastfretxfingers

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fastfretxfingers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:27 pm

wombythewombat wrote:Ah, good to know about the acceptance and scholarship e-mails being separate. Did they arrive at the same time, for people who've gotten both? Relatedly, do they specify in the scholarship e-mail that it's non-negotiable?


Literally 2-3 minutes after the congratulatory email. It doesn't specifically say non-negotiable, but they do state resources are limited.

wombythewombat

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wombythewombat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:29 pm

fastfretxfingers wrote:
wombythewombat wrote:Ah, good to know about the acceptance and scholarship e-mails being separate. Did they arrive at the same time, for people who've gotten both? Relatedly, do they specify in the scholarship e-mail that it's non-negotiable?


Literally 2-3 minutes after the congratulatory email. It doesn't specifically say non-negotiable, but they do state resources are limited.


Well heck, none for me then. Thanks for the info!

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm

Yeah, my scholarship offer was terrible, and nothing compared to what similar applicants from past cycles have received. The law school did receive a budget cut, but I did not anticipate this type of reduction.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:44 pm

1994lawapplicant wrote:Yeah, my scholarship offer was terrible, and nothing compared to what similar applicants from past cycles have received. The law school did receive a budget cut, but I did not anticipate this type of reduction.

Yeah, I can't imagine their OOS yield will be any good at all. It would cost me twice as much to go there as WUSTL and 4 times as much as W&L, which is insane given their respective rankings. I like the idea of living in Chapel Hill a lot but...not that much.

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm hoping they're going to be willing to negotiate, although I'm going to hold off on asking for a few days.

LYNZE985

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby LYNZE985 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Does anybody know UNC's history with scholarship negotiation? Or how to go about doing that?

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby littlewing67 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:00 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:05 pm

Am I reading that correctly that if you manage to get in-state tuition your scholarship $ decreases accordingly?

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:Am I reading that correctly that if you manage to get in-state tuition your scholarship $ decreases accordingly?



Yes! I read that as well! Not cool...
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wmbuff » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
Jack_Kelly wrote:Am I reading that correctly that if you manage to get in-state tuition your scholarship $ decreases accordingly?



Yes! I read that as well! Not cool...


That's fairly common with public schools. It especially makes sense if the amount of the offer is greater than the in-state tuition.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Does anyone know or care to ask whether they are able to negotiate this cycle and also whether the scholarship offer prevents you from being considered for the Chancellor’s?

reedm

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby reedm » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:21 pm

How long did it take for y'all to go complete? I submitted last night and am worried that it won't go complete before the 12/31 deadline for the chancellors scholarship. They're listed under my "completed applications" on LSAC but haven't gotten an email or anything from UNC and/or the supplemental app. Anyone know if that would be an issue?

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:07 pm

When you refer to the deadline for the Chancellors Scholarship, is that a deadline by which you must submit your admissions application by? Or is there a separate application for the scholarship?

Also, does anyone know what they particularly look for in terms of awarding the Chancellors? Certain stats? Softs? Etc.

reedm

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby reedm » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:46 pm

1994lawapplicant wrote:When you refer to the deadline for the Chancellors Scholarship, is that a deadline by which you must submit your admissions application by? Or is there a separate application for the scholarship?

Also, does anyone know what they particularly look for in terms of awarding the Chancellors? Certain stats? Softs? Etc.


yeah its just when you have to get your application in by- there's no separate app. but i just don't know if that means it needs to be just transmitted or actually complete/UR?

also i know a girl with 3.5/164 who got the chancellors, she had good recs and i think 2 or 3 yrs of work experience. i know they interview finalists, but im not sure how many they award. also, i heard that if you're a finalist and don't get it you still get a significant scholarship. anyone know if thats true?

User avatar
fastfretxfingers

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fastfretxfingers » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:12 pm

reedm wrote:
1994lawapplicant wrote:When you refer to the deadline for the Chancellors Scholarship, is that a deadline by which you must submit your admissions application by? Or is there a separate application for the scholarship?

Also, does anyone know what they particularly look for in terms of awarding the Chancellors? Certain stats? Softs? Etc.


yeah its just when you have to get your application in by- there's no separate app. but i just don't know if that means it needs to be just transmitted or actually complete/UR?

also i know a girl with 3.5/164 who got the chancellors, she had good recs and i think 2 or 3 yrs of work experience. i know they interview finalists, but im not sure how many they award. also, i heard that if you're a finalist and don't get it you still get a significant scholarship. anyone know if thats true?


If I received the 15,000 annual scholarship, does that mean that a Chancellors interview is off the table?

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:55 pm

fastfretxfingers wrote:
reedm wrote:
1994lawapplicant wrote:When you refer to the deadline for the Chancellors Scholarship, is that a deadline by which you must submit your admissions application by? Or is there a separate application for the scholarship?

Also, does anyone know what they particularly look for in terms of awarding the Chancellors? Certain stats? Softs? Etc.


yeah its just when you have to get your application in by- there's no separate app. but i just don't know if that means it needs to be just transmitted or actually complete/UR?

also i know a girl with 3.5/164 who got the chancellors, she had good recs and i think 2 or 3 yrs of work experience. i know they interview finalists, but im not sure how many they award. also, i heard that if you're a finalist and don't get it you still get a significant scholarship. anyone know if thats true?


If I received the 15,000 annual scholarship, does that mean that a Chancellors interview is off the table?


Also interested in this answer...
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:16 pm

fastfretxfingers wrote:
reedm wrote:
1994lawapplicant wrote:When you refer to the deadline for the Chancellors Scholarship, is that a deadline by which you must submit your admissions application by? Or is there a separate application for the scholarship?

Also, does anyone know what they particularly look for in terms of awarding the Chancellors? Certain stats? Softs? Etc.


yeah its just when you have to get your application in by- there's no separate app. but i just don't know if that means it needs to be just transmitted or actually complete/UR?

also i know a girl with 3.5/164 who got the chancellors, she had good recs and i think 2 or 3 yrs of work experience. i know they interview finalists, but im not sure how many they award. also, i heard that if you're a finalist and don't get it you still get a significant scholarship. anyone know if thats true?


If I received the 15,000 annual scholarship, does that mean that a Chancellors interview is off the table?



I would hope not, but I did see someone on LSN who received 17.5K, which is one step down from the full-tuition scholarship, historically. Hopefully, he or she is lying. :D

ZephyrS

New
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby ZephyrS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Getting a scholarship offer with your acceptance does not take you out of the running for the chancellor's scholarship. High GPA/LSAT matter but they look at the entire application for the chancellor's scholarship including leadership positions/potential, and a genuine interest in attending UNC.

vikingrunner

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby vikingrunner » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:54 pm

reedm wrote:yeah its just when you have to get your application in by- there's no separate app. but i just don't know if that means it needs to be just transmitted or actually complete/UR?


Based on a conversation I had with an assistant admissions dean she made it seem like it just had to be submitted by 1/1, since she told me to do so anyway even if I didn't have my Dec LSAT score in yet...as it turns out, I do have the score, but I am still sitting at "incomplete application". I'm guessing the admissions office is on break and won't update statuses until they get back.

reedm

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby reedm » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 pm

vikingrunner wrote:
reedm wrote:yeah its just when you have to get your application in by- there's no separate app. but i just don't know if that means it needs to be just transmitted or actually complete/UR?


Based on a conversation I had with an assistant admissions dean she made it seem like it just had to be submitted by 1/1, since she told me to do so anyway even if I didn't have my Dec LSAT score in yet...as it turns out, I do have the score, but I am still sitting at "incomplete application". I'm guessing the admissions office is on break and won't update statuses until they get back.


Okay I'd imagine that's the case. I called today and the recording said they were out until Jan 2nd. Did they email you a status checker username/password or did you just request a password when you went to the login? I just went to "forgot password", used my username I got from the other schools, then "send password" and they emailed me one and I got into it.. I hope that doesn't mess anything with my account up?

vikingrunner

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby vikingrunner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:51 am

I have finally gotten updated to "supplemental application needed" on the status checker after being incomplete for a while. UNC has by far been the slowest to update of all the schools I've applied to.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests