Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Chelso19

New

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Post by Chelso19 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:48 am

Accepted and going! See you in August?

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:46 pm

ceilingistheroof wrote:Hey everyone - congrats to those who have been accepted to Dickinson! If you are still waiting to hear, I hope for good news!

I am a current 1L and would be more than willing to talk with any student regarding the school, the culture, etc. I love it here and would love to talk with prospective students. I know talking with students was a big portion of my decision to attend Dickinson.
Are there opportunities for DA and PD positions in Harrisburg or the surrounding area that are available to Dickinson students?

ceilingistheroof

New

Post by ceilingistheroof » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 am

Anonymous Questioner wrote:
ceilingistheroof wrote:Hey everyone - congrats to those who have been accepted to Dickinson! If you are still waiting to hear, I hope for good news!

I am a current 1L and would be more than willing to talk with any student regarding the school, the culture, etc. I love it here and would love to talk with prospective students. I know talking with students was a big portion of my decision to attend Dickinson.
Are there opportunities for DA and PD positions in Harrisburg or the surrounding area that are available to Dickinson students?
There are many opportunities for DA and PD positions in Harrisburg and the surrounding areas for Dickinson students. Most are unpaid (some are not, the school offers select grants and two or three offices pay), but there are many offices within a one-hour commute.

Within 30 miles: Cumberland County (walking distance from Dickinson), Dauphin County (Harrisburg)
Within 60 miles: Adams County (Gettysburg), York County (York)

There may be more, but that's what I know of. Hope this helps!

ceilingistheroof

New

Post by ceilingistheroof » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am

bmathers wrote:

Hi there! I was admitted with a full-tuition scholarship. I'm wondering how (and how often) students are offered housing stipends/scholarships. Is it something you have to ask for in a negotiation letter, or do they just select from a list of elite applicants? Also, when do notifications of these awards usually come out? Thanks!
Stipends - last year there were quite a few. I've been told that this year they will be much rarer. Scholarships are plentiful though, just check out the 509 report. My stipend was offered out-of-the-blue after a visit.
18 people were awarded stipends in Fall 2017 according to the 509 report. Some could have been awarded to 2L or 3L students, but if I had to guess, most/all went to incoming students. This would be roughly (estimate) 25% of the 1L class who received stipends

fattsdomino

New

Post by fattsdomino » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 am

Current student. Trying to avoid doing work, so feel free to ask whatever.

There are a lot of postings for PD and DA work in the surrounding areas. They are generally willing to hire right out of law school. Second year you can become a certified legal intern and start doing actual work. I think the Cumberland County DA has a paid program starting 1L Summer with work during the school year. It requires a 2 year commitment. Harrisburg is naturally going to be more work, if you happen to like that. Outside Harrisburg, I have only heard good things about the atmosphere at the DA/PD offices in the smaller surrounding counties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:40 pm

ceilingistheroof wrote:
bmathers wrote:

Hi there! I was admitted with a full-tuition scholarship. I'm wondering how (and how often) students are offered housing stipends/scholarships. Is it something you have to ask for in a negotiation letter, or do they just select from a list of elite applicants? Also, when do notifications of these awards usually come out? Thanks!
Stipends - last year there were quite a few. I've been told that this year they will be much rarer. Scholarships are plentiful though, just check out the 509 report. My stipend was offered out-of-the-blue after a visit.
18 people were awarded stipends in Fall 2017 according to the 509 report. Some could have been awarded to 2L or 3L students, but if I had to guess, most/all went to incoming students. This would be roughly (estimate) 25% of the 1L class who received stipends
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Should I ask for one in a scholarship negotiation letter, or just wait and hope for the best?

Pre10der

New

Post by Pre10der » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm wondering the same about housing stipends.. I had no idea they handed so many out. A stipend would be life-changing.. Also, what kind of stipend amounts are we talking?

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students day this Friday?

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Pre10der wrote:I'm wondering the same about housing stipends.. I had no idea they handed so many out. A stipend would be life-changing.. Also, what kind of stipend amounts are we talking?
I've heard from Dickinson students on this site who were awarded between $15k and $30k in addition to their full-tuition award. I'm assuming that's divided up between three years, not a recurring award. Given the already-low cost of living, it's still awesome and I'm reaallllly hoping that I get even just a small one haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21 am

mmart207 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day this Friday?
Me! Can't wait! :)

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:12 pm

mmart207 wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students day this Friday?
Me! Can't wait! :)
Great I'll meet you there! Lets get drinks after too if you're down :mrgreen:

fattsdomino

New

Post by fattsdomino » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Anonymous Questioner wrote: Awesome! Thanks for the info. Should I ask for one in a scholarship negotiation letter, or just wait and hope for the best?
I think most of last year's stipends were offered out of the blue. Thats what happened in my case- got the email mid-Feb. With that said, there is no harm in asking. I imagine some funds may free up around this time of year since everyone is accepting or denying their offers.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:39 am

Did anyone attend the ASW?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:11 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Did anyone attend the ASW?
Yeah I was there last week!

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Did anyone attend the ASW?
I attended one of them and really enjoyed it!

Wednesday

New

Post by Wednesday » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:55 pm

I've got an e-mail from them offering to apply for free and potentially receive up to a full-tuition scholarship. My LSAT score is 162, and a prospect of a full ride sounds good, but my husband in an attorney in a different state and I am concerned about him having to find a job in a small town in Pennsylvania. Any advice?

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:09 pm

Wednesday wrote:I've got an e-mail from them offering to apply for free and potentially receive up to a full-tuition scholarship. My LSAT score is 162, and a prospect of a full ride sounds good, but my husband in an attorney in a different state and I am concerned about him having to find a job in a small town in Pennsylvania. Any advice?
I can't speak to specifics as to the legal market there, but Dickinson is just about 15 minutes or so away from Harrisburg, the state capital. I'm sure it probably has plenty of legal jobs available in most sub-fields.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:01 pm

https://dickinsonlaw.psu.edu/sites/defa ... duates.pdf

Check the most recent employment data

Wednesday

New

Post by Wednesday » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Wednesday wrote:I've got an e-mail from them offering to apply for free and potentially receive up to a full-tuition scholarship. My LSAT score is 162, and a prospect of a full ride sounds good, but my husband in an attorney in a different state and I am concerned about him having to find a job in a small town in Pennsylvania. Any advice?
I can't speak to specifics as to the legal market there, but Dickinson is just about 15 minutes or so away from Harrisburg, the state capital. I'm sure it probably has plenty of legal jobs available in most sub-fields.
Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”