Minnesota c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
minnbills

Gold

Re: Minnesota c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by minnbills » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:12 pm

Alum checking in. If anyone has any questions or if I can be of any help please feel free to ask.

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Have any admitted students checked out the "next steps" brochure on the admitted students website? There is language in there that states that ABA policy only allows an applicant to deposit at multiple schools until May 15. Then it states that once an applicant deposits at Minnesota they must withdraw from all schools they applied to.

Presumably, this also means schools one has been waitlisted at? Am I interpreting that correctly?

dstrawlaw

New

Post by dstrawlaw » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Has anyone who filled out the scholarship reconsideration form heard back yet? I sent mine in about a week ago. Just wondering when to expect to hear back and how much of an increase it typically is.

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:31 pm

minnbills wrote:Alum checking in. If anyone has any questions or if I can be of any help please feel free to ask.
Where is a good place to live near the law school? Any experience with on campus housing?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am

Sure - my advice is to live close to campus. There are a couple of nice apartment buildings right across the street: Seven Corners, 7 Weest, and Grandmarc are all good options. (7 West is expensive but beautiful.) The East Bank of UMN (across the river from the law school) has a LOT of options, but tends to more have more undergrads.

If you want to live elsewhere in Minneapolis, there are a lot of great apartment buildings downtown, in the warehouse district, and north loop, which are all accessible to the U via the light rail. (BTW, you can get a great deal on light rail passes via the university.) These apartments will be more expensive.

Another option is the st. anthony main apartments along the river, which can be pricey but are fantastic. If I still lived in MPLS, that's where I would go. The Northeast Neighborhood has good options too, and there is a fantastic brewery scene in that area.

If you want to live further out, look at the uptown neighborhood around lake calhoun, which is very nice but is also crowded and kind of wild. A couple of other places to look are St. Louis Park and Richfield, but you will be looking at a real commute then.

Feel free to follow up with more Qs on this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:23 pm

minnbills wrote:Sure - my advice is to live close to campus. There are a couple of nice apartment buildings right across the street: Seven Corners, 7 Weest, and Grandmarc are all good options. (7 West is expensive but beautiful.) The East Bank of UMN (across the river from the law school) has a LOT of options, but tends to more have more undergrads.

If you want to live elsewhere in Minneapolis, there are a lot of great apartment buildings downtown, in the warehouse district, and north loop, which are all accessible to the U via the light rail. (BTW, you can get a great deal on light rail passes via the university.) These apartments will be more expensive.

Another option is the st. anthony main apartments along the river, which can be pricey but are fantastic. If I still lived in MPLS, that's where I would go. The Northeast Neighborhood has good options too, and there is a fantastic brewery scene in that area.

If you want to live further out, look at the uptown neighborhood around lake calhoun, which is very nice but is also crowded and kind of wild. A couple of other places to look are St. Louis Park and Richfield, but you will be looking at a real commute then.

Feel free to follow up with more Qs on this.
Thank you for your detailed response! I'm visiting for ASW in April so I'll definitely be looking at these options.

Another question: how much does being a URM affect employment prospects out of UMN? I'm URM from the Midwest looking at a few Midwest flagships and UMN is at the top of my list.

Also, Minnesota did not matriculate a single black or Latino male last class. Is this typical for the school in your opinion?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm

BL2017 wrote:
Thank you for your detailed response! I'm visiting for ASW in April so I'll definitely be looking at these options.

Another question: how much does being a URM affect employment prospects out of UMN? I'm URM from the Midwest looking at a few Midwest flagships and UMN is at the top of my list.

Also, Minnesota did not matriculate a single black or Latino male last class. Is this typical for the school in your opinion?
I am not a URM so it's hard for me to speak to employment prospects. I know that a number of firms in MPLS have diversity SAs which are terrific opportunities. I would say being a URM is an advantage, but not a huge one. Grades will be the biggest factor for your immediate career prospects.

I do not think that's typical, but there really isn't much diversity at the law school, which is a reflection of the region. While UMN is a good law school, it's not elite. It draws its student body mostly from the immediate region (think MN, WI, the Dakotas, Iowa), as opposed to schools like Chi, Harvard, etc. which draw nationally. MN is an overwhelmingly white state, same for its neighbors, which in turn affects the composition of the law school class.

There were a handful of black and latino males in my class. As far as racial diversity, there is usually a huge block of students who come in from korea and china, as well as the middle east and handful from europe, who get LLMs then a JD afterward. As far as incoming 1L classes though, don't expect much diversity.

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:24 pm

Are all 1l exams open book?

momoruru

New

Post by momoruru » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:08 am

Hi everyone!I just got an email about Minnesota Law Admitted Student Website last night but nothing else,when I checked my online applicant status, it shows that I was offered the scholarship,I'm just wondering whether it's for per year or 3 years.Thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:50 am

Are all 1L exams open book?

Fireworks2016

Bronze

Post by Fireworks2016 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Pewpew wrote:Are all 1L exams open book?
No, it's professor specific. I had two closed book exams first semester, none second

ChiaOut

New

Post by ChiaOut » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 pm

momoruru wrote:Hi everyone!I just got an email about Minnesota Law Admitted Student Website last night but nothing else,when I checked my online applicant status, it shows that I was offered the scholarship,I'm just wondering whether it's for per year or 3 years.Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received a merit based scholarship. It automatically renews as long as you remain a full-time student and remain in good standing.

momoruru

New

Post by momoruru » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

ChiaOut wrote:
momoruru wrote:Hi everyone!I just got an email about Minnesota Law Admitted Student Website last night but nothing else,when I checked my online applicant status, it shows that I was offered the scholarship,I'm just wondering whether it's for per year or 3 years.Thank you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received a merit based scholarship. It automatically renews as long as you remain a full-time student and remain in good standing.
Thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChiaOut

New

Post by ChiaOut » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 pm

What is everyone's thought on Gamma Eta Gamma Law House?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:18 pm

ChiaOut wrote:What is everyone's thought on Gamma Eta Gamma Law House?
I used to live there. Happy to take specific Qs. Will just say that you can't beat the price, and it's a nice way to meet people. The house isn't all that nice though.

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

minnbills wrote:
ChiaOut wrote:What is everyone's thought on Gamma Eta Gamma Law House?
I used to live there. Happy to take specific Qs. Will just say that you can't beat the price, and it's a nice way to meet people. The house isn't all that nice though.
How hard is it to get a spot in the house? How intertwined were you in the social life of the house? Were you in a fraternity in undergrad? If so, how does it compare to a traditional fraternity? Thanks!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 pm

BL2017 wrote:
How hard is it to get a spot in the house? How intertwined were you in the social life of the house? Were you in a fraternity in undergrad? If so, how does it compare to a traditional fraternity? Thanks!
Before answering the Qs, I'll just note that I lived there about 3 years ago. So I don't know the people currently living in / running gamma. It's possible things have changed since I left the house.

It is not hard to get in. If you really want a spot, you'll be able to get one. I was pretty intertwined with the social life. But, this is law school., so there is a lot less social stuff going on than undergrad. For gamma, we threw a few school-wide parties each year (which may have since been banned by the law school, I'm not sure) and we had a few house-wide meetings. That was it for house-sponsored social stuff.

I liked it, I made a few friends I am still close with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:03 pm

minnbills wrote:
BL2017 wrote:
Before answering the Qs, I'll just note that I lived there about 3 years ago. So I don't know the people currently living in / running gamma. It's possible things have changed since I left the house.

It is not hard to get in. If you really want a spot, you'll be able to get one. I was pretty intertwined with the social life. But, this is law school., so there is a lot less social stuff going on than undergrad. For gamma, we threw a few school-wide parties each year (which may have since been banned by the law school, I'm not sure) and we had a few house-wide meetings. That was it for house-sponsored social stuff.

I liked it, I made a few friends I am still close with.
Thank you for your insight! That sounds like good stuff. One more question, why would the events get banned? Was there talk of that when you were on your way out?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am

There was some talk of it when I was on the way out - the reason was that the parties got kind of wild

KD123455

New

Post by KD123455 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 pm

I got waitlisted to MN and, honestly, it is the only school I want to attend. Is there anybody who has gotten of the waitlist yet?

KD123455

New

Post by KD123455 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 pm

KD123455 wrote:I got waitlisted to MN and, honestly, it is the only school I want to attend. Is there anybody who has gotten off the waitlist yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alyaubuchon

New

Post by alyaubuchon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:17 pm

minnbills wrote:Alum checking in. If anyone has any questions or if I can be of any help please feel free to ask.
How are the career options? Are most graduates working in private sector firms, is there significant public sector/interest work to be found in the Minneapolis area? And how much do chosen concentrations pan out into full-time post grad work?

ASLK88

New

Post by ASLK88 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:07 pm

ChiaOut wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------

So is the amount listed on the status checker my entire scholarship or my yearly scholarship? I have not received my scholarship by snail mail yet so I'm trying to figure it out. I would really appreciate if someone who has seen their scholarship on the status checker as well as via regular mail could clarify.

Upupup333

New

Post by Upupup333 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:59 am

ASLK88 wrote:
ChiaOut wrote:

So is the amount listed on the status checker my entire scholarship or my yearly scholarship? I have not received my scholarship by snail mail yet so I'm trying to figure it out. I would really appreciate if someone who has seen their scholarship on the status checker as well as via regular mail could clarify.
It's your per year total. So if it says, for example $35000, than that means you are slotted to get that each year.

momoruru

New

Post by momoruru » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:50 am

ASLK88 wrote:
ChiaOut wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi!I received the scholarship email later.The amount on the status checker is yearly scholarship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”