Military Veteran Applicants c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jsmedley

New

Re: Military Veteran Applicants c/o 2021

Post by jsmedley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:35 am

Has anyone heard from schools with regards to scholarships? If so, were they interested/able to recode the scholarship offer so it can be reimbursed to the student? I think eventually it would be helpful to compile a spreadsheet of those that do this for veteran students using the GI Bill.

FYSA, the UC school system seems to do this frequently with their veteran students.

ddevich

New

Post by ddevich » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 am

jsmedley wrote:Has anyone heard from schools with regards to scholarships? If so, were they interested/able to recode the scholarship offer so it can be reimbursed to the student? I think eventually it would be helpful to compile a spreadsheet of those that do this for veteran students using the GI Bill.

FYSA, the UC school system seems to do this frequently with their veteran students.
I sent an email to Fordham negotiating this very thing. Instead of a tuition scholarship of $25,000 a year, I asked for a cost of living stipend or subsidized student housing. I'll update the thread when I get word back; financial aid office forwarded it to the top.

jsmedley

New

Post by jsmedley » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 am

ddevich wrote:
jsmedley wrote:Has anyone heard from schools with regards to scholarships? If so, were they interested/able to recode the scholarship offer so it can be reimbursed to the student? I think eventually it would be helpful to compile a spreadsheet of those that do this for veteran students using the GI Bill.

I sent an email to Fordham negotiating this very thing. Instead of a tuition scholarship of $25,000 a year, I asked for a cost of living stipend or subsidized student housing. I'll update the thread when I get word back; financial aid office forwarded it to the top.
Good deal! I hope it pans out. For what it's worth, I would try to reword your request a little bit to protect against them dropping the amount of money...I was told the best way to ask for a reimbursable scholarship is to request the scholarship be recoded to "unfenced" vs "fenced." Fenced scholarships can only be applied to tuition, whereas unfenced can be applied to cost of living expenses.

I just wanted to share what I was instructed, since it seems to have worked well for veteran LS applicants in the past! I'm crossing my fingers it will work for us too, regardless of our particular approach. (:

Deltagirl1913

New

Post by Deltagirl1913 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 pm

Checking In, Chaos 6 on the net! Active Duty, African American, Female, Army Lieutenant Colonel, due to retire this summer after 22 years of service. Horrible undergrad grades (too much partying and sorority life), but two Masters degrees with 4.0 GPAs. Four full deployments to Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq. Mediocre LSAT but I have GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon and retirement pay so I don't need scholly money. My softs are amazing and my letters of recommendations legendary, I am what bloggers would call a Unicorn. I've been admitted to a handful of tier four schools but my first choice is Syracuse, Go Orange or Go Home!

Bartlet4President

New

Post by Bartlet4President » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 am

PostNihilist wrote:Glad to see some of the TLS mil community come together here! Good luck all!
MichiganHoosier wrote:I think this could be a nice complement to the "Veterans Thread". This could especially be useful for veterans if in this thread veterans post stats/experiences along with acceptances/denials. Would definitely be nice to try and accumulate a little more quantifiable data in regards to addressing this unknown "military bump". I'll be sure to contribute data next year!
Totally agree, added an admissions spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Goal is to eventually add other tabs with analytics on how mil applicants compare to the medians at T13 schools. Collecting data like this could become moot if the GRE takes over, but I still think it's a worthwhile venture to start.
NavyNuke wrote:I strongly recommend reaching out to Service to School. They have been super helpful.
+180

GPA 3.47 smh at high school college courses
LSAT 170
Army
AD
Enlisted
Applications: waiting on NYU, H, C for 2018

Planning to apply more liberally during 2019 cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WarriorPoet

New

Post by WarriorPoet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:26 pm

UVA 1L, Marine infantry. Can’t speak for every school, but UVA was great about this. They gave me a very nice scholarship (even though I had GI Bill and applied ED) and made sure to set it up so that it all gets paid to me.

By the way, for anyone sweating the transition, law school isn’t any worse than the military. It sucks a little sometimes, but you already know how to grind through that better than most students will. Approach it like a new billet and you’ll be fine. Feel free to reach out to me with questions.

str8shot1

New

Post by str8shot1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:56 am

Hey all! UCLA class of 2020 here. Got off the waitlist last year. Glad someone got this started. Happy to talk about UCLA and or other things

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:48 am

str8shot1 wrote:Hey all! UCLA class of 2020 here. Got off the waitlist last year. Glad someone got this started. Happy to talk about UCLA and or other things
Yea - what is the best way to get off the WL - in general as a veteran? I'm on the WL at CLS, Wash U, W&M, WLU, GWU, Fordham, etc..... :?

str8shot1

New

Post by str8shot1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 am

KPUSN07 wrote:
str8shot1 wrote:Hey all! UCLA class of 2020 here. Got off the waitlist last year. Glad someone got this started. Happy to talk about UCLA and or other things
Yea - what is the best way to get off the WL - in general as a veteran? I'm on the WL at CLS, Wash U, W&M, WLU, GWU, Fordham, etc..... :?
Continue to follow up with LOCI. Usually you can have the structure of one down and use it for multiple schools. A lot of schools want more veterans or just plain don't have enough in their in coming class. So just reminding them that you exist can be helpful. Also, a lot of schools have a veterans clinic or our self conscious about the fact that they don't have one (wash U). Emphasize that you want to get involve with vet clinics or help serve the community. Schools want to see that you will participate in clinics and the community. Finally, it can't hurt to reach out to the schools' veterans organizations. I know that GULC actually selects a few waitlisters to pitch to the admissions committees and I'm sure other would be willing to.

Remember, its all about selling yourself - this applies to your job search too. No one understands your background. So you have to explain it in plain English and explain how it can benefit them (I'm sure you already knew this). But you just have to continue to push through when you're on the waitlist.

P.S. If you're really invested, you should visit the school and write about that in a LOCI. Though, I would note that I didn't visit UCLA and still got in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Would like to know this too.

Bartlet4President

New

Post by Bartlet4President » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:43 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:

Would like to know this too.

If you are going to law school in the future and are still in service you need to get 20% from VA claims. This is the difference of having to worry about funding or get 100% tuition. Read up on Vocation Rehab. If you think you shouldn’t be claiming anything when you get out... good luck in the legal world because you are going to need it when you get thrown around like Sonny Liston II.

griffithee

New

Post by griffithee » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Aloha Warriors. Not really sure where this belongs but looking for some advice. Maybe. I am a retired Navy Supply Corps Officer. I retired in 2013 after 26 years 10 mos. I did 6 of those years in the Kansas Army National Guard as a 94B (Cook) and 11B(Infantryman) and pursued my degree. I enlisted in the Navy in 1993 as an Electricians Mate, Nuclear. I went through OCS in 1998 and became a Supply Officer. After retiring I pursued a BS in Computer Science and graduated in 2017. Now I would like to pursue a law degree and pursue a twilight career in helping our own. I would like to be a veterans advocate and think a JD could help in that regard. I have three undergraduate degrees. A BA in Economics and Mathematics from 1993 and my most recent BS CS from 2017. Addly, I hold an MBA. Needless to say, I am a non-traditional student. I would argue I am THE non-traditional student as I am 49 years old and still trying to figure out what to do with my life. I am 100% SC and have 17 months remaining of Post 911 GI Bill. I am eligible for voc-rehab. Now for my question, I have taken the practice LSAT under testing conditions and scored 145. My undergrad gpa should average about 2.7 and my MBA was a 3.2. I take the LSAT end of July. Now my question, should I even apply for T14? Let alone T3? My wife is retired form the USAF so nothing is keeping us here besides our first grader. So, is there any chance an old salty bastard like myself with my numbers and experience, could I pull a T14? Thanks brothers and sisters in arms for your advice. Cheers

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:12 am

hmmm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WarriorPoet

New

Post by WarriorPoet » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:32 pm

griffithee wrote:Aloha Warriors. Not really sure where this belongs but looking for some advice. Maybe. I am a retired Navy Supply Corps Officer. I retired in 2013 after 26 years 10 mos. I did 6 of those years in the Kansas Army National Guard as a 94B (Cook) and 11B(Infantryman) and pursued my degree. I enlisted in the Navy in 1993 as an Electricians Mate, Nuclear. I went through OCS in 1998 and became a Supply Officer. After retiring I pursued a BS in Computer Science and graduated in 2017. Now I would like to pursue a law degree and pursue a twilight career in helping our own. I would like to be a veterans advocate and think a JD could help in that regard. I have three undergraduate degrees. A BA in Economics and Mathematics from 1993 and my most recent BS CS from 2017. Addly, I hold an MBA. Needless to say, I am a non-traditional student. I would argue I am THE non-traditional student as I am 49 years old and still trying to figure out what to do with my life. I am 100% SC and have 17 months remaining of Post 911 GI Bill. I am eligible for voc-rehab. Now for my question, I have taken the practice LSAT under testing conditions and scored 145. My undergrad gpa should average about 2.7 and my MBA was a 3.2. I take the LSAT end of July. Now my question, should I even apply for T14? Let alone T3? My wife is retired form the USAF so nothing is keeping us here besides our first grader. So, is there any chance an old salty bastard like myself with my numbers and experience, could I pull a T14? Thanks brothers and sisters in arms for your advice. Cheers
Your resume is going to give you a bit of a bump, but not that much. A law school, and especially a T14, is going to want to know you can handle the academic rigor, and the best proxy for that is the LSAT and, to a lesser extent, GPA. To have a legitimate shot at a T14 with your GPA (and it’s possible; I’ve seen it), you’d probably need to be around 170. If you did any kind of test prep for that PT and still got a 145, a 170 by July is a big ask. Honestly any Tier 1 is likely a stretch unless you get your LSAT up a good bit.

Here’s the good news though: if you legitimately just want to help vets, in your situation the name on your diploma doesn’t matter much. Almost any school is going to teach you enough that you can do reasonably well in disability cases (I’m assuming that’s what you’re thinking about), and there is a big need in the field too. Your 100% SC is enough to live on comfortably, I assume, and the government is going to pick up the tab on your tuition, so you don’t have the financial risk/reward calculus a lot of law students have to think about.

griffithee

New

Post by griffithee » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks for the gouge. I did not do any prep for the PT and pulled the 145. Moreover, I bought the LSAT trainer, Preptest books for tests 62-81, and the LG bible. Studying is my full time job for the next 15 weeks so hoping to pull 170+.

WarriorPoet

New

Post by WarriorPoet » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:39 am

griffithee wrote:Thanks for the gouge. I did not do any prep for the PT and pulled the 145. Moreover, I bought the LSAT trainer, Preptest books for tests 62-81, and the LG bible. Studying is my full time job for the next 15 weeks so hoping to pull 170+.
Well you’re doing all the right things then. The test is definitely learnable, but different parts to different degrees. I think LG is most learnable and RC least, so if LG was where you struggled most on your PT you can expect some good dividends from studying. I took my first PT completely cold too and didn’t do much better, and I was able to get a 170+ in a couple months of doing what you’re doing. I read the Kaplan guide cover to cover; people say there are better ones out there, but that one was free at the base library and it worked for me. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions about the process.

LuckyDevilCat

New

Post by LuckyDevilCat » Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi all. Adding one more data point. In at Georgetown yesterday via Admitted Students Website. 3.33/168. ~12 years Air Force.

Also, SOCO! (you know who you are)...email me at theluckydevilcat@gmail.com. You'll remember me from law school discussions ~5-6 years ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”