University of Colorado Boulder c/o 2021 (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Keb218

New

Re: University of Colorado Boulder c/o 2021 (2017-2018)

Post by Keb218 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:57 pm

rafikiyako wrote:Any updates on folks who were priority waitlisted? I received the news that I was placed on PWLjust today. Bummed my 8+ years in non-profit/government sector working on environmental issues didn't compensate for a lower GPA. I thought my LSAT and work experience could carry me. Oh well, on to the professional nagging!

Any updates that folks have about how CU treats it PWL or has statistics of previous cycles is greatly appreciated!
What were your stats?

studystudystudy

New

Post by studystudystudy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Has anyone visited lately? I am wondering if it would be better to do maybe a random weekend to hang out at/in Boulder and then tour on Monday. I have work MWF and School TWTH and can't make the first open house on 3/9/18. I'll have to fly in and stuff too which is a pain.

JayDee21

New

Post by JayDee21 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:52 am

Anyone going to the open house next week?

I asked Alan and he said they don’t help with travel and accommodations but I’m flying in anyway.

peregrine

New

Post by peregrine » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm

kippercd wrote:
TripleM wrote:
kippercd wrote: Because they don't give good scholarships. The best they do is ~60% but other schools higher then then have given way more
I can't argue with your facts but would say that what you should be focused on isn not how much scholarship they give you, but rather how much true COA is left after the scholarship. CU's base tuition is far less than many schools. They may give you $10,000 less than school B but if their annual cost is $30,000 less than school B you're still better off at CU (assuming they are peer schools). Of course is you're talking schools that offer different opportunities (high ranking) and more $ it's a completely different deal.
Your facts are correct and you're probably assuming that folks are taking this type of approach. I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone isn't as well versed as you and thinks that the scholly amount is the most important number.
COA in Boulder is pretty expensive though too is the thing as well, it's a good school, but their placement isn't great enough for them to be only giving people with 165+ the same offer they give people just above their medians. It's like everyone above ~160 depending on GPA gets the same offer. And that to mean Seema weird and doesn't show they have any interest in people.
Does anyone have any experience negotiating merit aid with CU? I know it is common at some other schools but haven't heard anything specific about CU. Is full tuition first year, $10,000 second and third years pretty much their ceiling?

Also, when you guys email Alan what form of address do you use? Addressing a scholarship negotiation email to "Alan" seems too informal, but I don't want to say "Associate Director of Admissions Shieve" either...Mr. Shieve?

dwill1234

New

Post by dwill1234 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:15 pm

peregrine wrote:
kippercd wrote:
TripleM wrote:
kippercd wrote: Because they don't give good scholarships. The best they do is ~60% but other schools higher then then have given way more
I can't argue with your facts but would say that what you should be focused on isn not how much scholarship they give you, but rather how much true COA is left after the scholarship. CU's base tuition is far less than many schools. They may give you $10,000 less than school B but if their annual cost is $30,000 less than school B you're still better off at CU (assuming they are peer schools). Of course is you're talking schools that offer different opportunities (high ranking) and more $ it's a completely different deal.
Your facts are correct and you're probably assuming that folks are taking this type of approach. I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone isn't as well versed as you and thinks that the scholly amount is the most important number.
COA in Boulder is pretty expensive though too is the thing as well, it's a good school, but their placement isn't great enough for them to be only giving people with 165+ the same offer they give people just above their medians. It's like everyone above ~160 depending on GPA gets the same offer. And that to mean Seema weird and doesn't show they have any interest in people.
Does anyone have any experience negotiating merit aid with CU? I know it is common at some other schools but haven't heard anything specific about CU. Is full tuition first year, $10,000 second and third years pretty much their ceiling?

Also, when you guys email Alan what form of address do you use? Addressing a scholarship negotiation email to "Alan" seems too informal, but I don't want to say "Associate Director of Admissions Shieve" either...Mr. Shieve?
From what I have heard from current/former CU students, full tuition 1L and 10K 2L/3L is the highest that CU will go. But there's no harm in trying to negotiate for more. Alan is very approachable so he probably doesn't mind Alan but you can't go wrong calling him Mr. Shieve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mnc211

New

Post by mnc211 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:54 am

dasseeker wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:
dasseeker wrote:I got dinged here today...once again another ding for a school that should have been a safe bet. Every school that I had to disclose C&F issues to has dinged my except for 1 - Washington and Lee. I know there are others out there with C&F concerns, and I'd be happy to relate my own experiences if any of you PM me.
I am sorry to hear this Dasseeker. I have some disclosures from a while ago (mostly over 8 years ago) and most of them are really minor; I too have wondered how much that has played a role in admissions decisions. Are the disclosures recent events, or a long time ago?

Mine are approximately 5-10 years ago, but not so minor unfortunately hahah. That said, its extremely clear that I have "been rehabilitated", and I believe I accurately replayed that in my applications.
Hey dasseeker. I’m facing the same issue - getting dinged from schools where I should have been competitive. Haven’t heard from CU yet, though; fingers crossed. DM me and we can compare notes.

Nooloo

New

Post by Nooloo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Anyone get in off the waitlist since 2nd seat deposit deadline? Any idea on expected movement?

denverite42

New

Post by denverite42 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:53 pm

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/06/profess ... rnet-exam/

just so you know what you will be paying all that $$$ for; evidently, from what i've heard officials at the law school have completely botched this whole situation. Law school is already tough enough as it is without the administration working against the students.

Nooloo

New

Post by Nooloo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:10 am

Has anyone been accepted since being placed on the Priority Waitlist? I was Priority WL'd in mid-March, three weeks after my application was deemed complete following my February LSAT. I've since sent a LOCI and resume updates. I know the 5/9 email from Alan mentioned that they'd have a better idea of what the class is shaping to be by the end of May following deadlines for both seat deposits for admitted students. Thoughts? Anything you'd recommend me doing at this point in time? Last email sent at end of May. This is my #1 choice school. Also, any idea how many of us remain on the Priority WL or how many they usually place there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nooloo

New

Post by Nooloo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Has anyone heard anything (i.e. rejection/acceptance off priority waitlist or regular waitlist) since the last email the school sent out on June 21st? I know that email from 15 days ago mentioned that the class was currently full but that waitlist would be reviewed to fill any open spots in the event that admitted students are admitted to other law schools. :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”