Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby JamesBlahDeBlah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 pm

feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Haha, oh no! Put the essays away! Best not to know.
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

walks wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Too real.


Isn't it?
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Haha, oh no! Put the essays away! Best not to know.


I'm going to take that advice and just bury my head in reddit or something
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
#gobroncos

Bronze
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
walks wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Too real.


Isn't it?


One part of my resume definitely says “freshman” when I meant (and clearly should have used) the plural “freshmen” which all could have been avoided if I just did the progressive, gender-neutral thing and put “first-years” *sigh*

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 pm

#gobroncos wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
walks wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Too real.


Isn't it?


One part of my resume definitely says “freshman” when I meant (and clearly should have used) the plural “freshmen” which all could have been avoided if I just did the progressive, gender-neutral thing and put “first-years” *sigh*


90% of my education was received in China, and so I was never told that the American rule for commas and periods adjacent to quotation marks were to put them within the quotations at all times. eg) "cronuts," as opposed to "cronuts",
Sigggggggghhhhhhhhh
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

solennita

New
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby solennita » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:23 pm

spambot123 wrote:
solennita wrote:If you have letters that were sent directly to YLS (i.e., from a YLS professor), is it acceptable to email admissions to confirm receipt? I've been hesitating about reaching out because I know they discourage checking in and clogging up the admissions email, but I would hate to lose out even a little bit if any of my materials didn't make it in...


I'd email. Seems like a prime better-safe-than situation. Plus, it can't hurt you any. There's enough anxiety in the app process, no need to add to it.


This was good advice for anyone in a similar situation - I received a response from the Admission's office that was incredibly nice, and they requested that I email a scan of one of the letters they hadn't received yet to ensure it would be included in my file.
Last edited by solennita on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby MonicaYoung_LOL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:25 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
walks wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Too real.


Isn't it?


One part of my resume definitely says “freshman” when I meant (and clearly should have used) the plural “freshmen” which all could have been avoided if I just did the progressive, gender-neutral thing and put “first-years” *sigh*


90% of my education was received in China, and so I was never told that the American rule for commas and periods adjacent to quotation marks were to put them within the quotations at all time. eg) "cronuts," as opposed to "cronuts",
Sigggggggghhhhhhhhh


I really do hope that they don't reject people based on their comma usage... that seems linguistically prescriptivist for a liberal place like YLS--particularly since people learn things differently throughout their education, even within the US--and somewhat arbitrary. If a candidate has a wonderful PS but makes a comma / punctuation mistake, I can't imagine that that would be grounds for disqualification. Who knows, I guess... but if I were WL'ed / dinged because of a comma, I'd say fuck it, that's some classist garbage right there. All of that to say: don't worry about a comma at this point, just keep on trucking!!!!

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:19 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
walks wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:I'm at the point where I'm reading AskAsha and freaking out over a comma.


Too real.


Isn't it?


One part of my resume definitely says “freshman” when I meant (and clearly should have used) the plural “freshmen” which all could have been avoided if I just did the progressive, gender-neutral thing and put “first-years” *sigh*


90% of my education was received in China, and so I was never told that the American rule for commas and periods adjacent to quotation marks were to put them within the quotations at all times. eg) "cronuts," as opposed to "cronuts",
Sigggggggghhhhhhhhh


I really do hope that they don't reject people based on their comma usage... that seems linguistically prescriptivist for a liberal place like YLS--particularly since people learn things differently throughout their education, even within the US--and somewhat arbitrary. If a candidate has a wonderful PS but makes a comma / punctuation mistake, I can't imagine that that would be grounds for disqualification. Who knows, I guess... but if I were WL'ed / dinged because of a comma, I'd say fuck it, that's some classist garbage right there. All of that to say: don't worry about a comma at this point, just keep on trucking!!!!

Woot woot all aboard the truck!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spambot123

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby spambot123 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 am

solennita wrote:This was good advice for anyone in a similar situation - I received a response from the Admission's office that was incredibly nice, and they requested that I email a scan of one of the letters they hadn't received yet to ensure it would be included in my file.


Great! Glad to hear that worked out. Good luck!

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby tinycatfriend » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm

For people who've applied already (yes I am super late thank god Yale doesn't care when you apply): how did y'all format the college activities section? Paragraphs? How long?

User avatar
JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby JamesBlahDeBlah » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:46 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:For people who've applied already (yes I am super late thank god Yale doesn't care when you apply): how did y'all format the college activities section? Paragraphs? How long?


It says list (unlike post-college which says describe), so I just bullet pointed things with quick blurbs about each. Kind of like a resume, but not in resume format.
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H2M211

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby H2M211 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm

checking in...

User avatar
Oneanddone?

New
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:13 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby Oneanddone? » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:18 am

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:For people who've applied already (yes I am super late thank god Yale doesn't care when you apply): how did y'all format the college activities section? Paragraphs? How long?


It says list (unlike post-college which says describe), so I just bullet pointed things with quick blurbs about each. Kind of like a resume, but not in resume format.

+1; I did the same.

I didn't receive any assistance in writing my application and really I hope they don't think that's weird. I feel like most people have others proofread theirs for them, but I'm the one who proofreads for all my family and friends. I really do feel confident in what I've written and am about to submit. I just hope admitting to not receiving help isn't some big red flag. :(

Totally over-analyzing all of this.

spicysalmonroll

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby spicysalmonroll » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:12 am

Oneanddone? wrote:
I didn't receive any assistance in writing my application and really I hope they don't think that's weird. I feel like most people have others proofread theirs for them, but I'm the one who proofreads for all my family and friends. I really do feel confident in what I've written and am about to submit. I just hope admitting to not receiving help isn't some big red flag. :(

Totally over-analyzing all of this.



So that's the reverse thinking (probably just overthinking) I went through. I did have a really close friend read my personal statement but he made no changes and just gave me verbal feedback on what he thought. It was nothing of the sort that should be noted in an application or be taken into consideration by the adcoms. I still wrote it down though because i actually thought NOT sharing your personal statement with at least one other person for feedback would be kinda weird and potentially even raise some red flags as you said.

holymolyoly

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby holymolyoly » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 am

Should I be concerned that I still haven't gone complete yet? Submitted 12/6 and never got another email.

gotmilk332

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby gotmilk332 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:55 am

holymolyoly wrote:Should I be concerned that I still haven't gone complete yet? Submitted 12/6 and never got another email.


I would check in with them- can’t hurt and I submitted a few days later and went complete in December.

spambot123

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby spambot123 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 am

gotmilk332 wrote:
holymolyoly wrote:Should I be concerned that I still haven't gone complete yet? Submitted 12/6 and never got another email.


I would check in with them- can’t hurt and I submitted a few days later and went complete in December.


Agreed. The admissions office is pretty helpful, I've found. I'm sure they wouldn't mind checking for you. And it can't hurt to ask.

bubblebat

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby bubblebat » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm wishing I hadn't sent my application off so early, because now I have to figure out how to contact Yale and update them with bad news. It is nerve-wrecking...

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:47 pm

So my admit package came in and...

...it comes with a YLS snuggie. You read that right.

jkander31

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby jkander31 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:48 pm

A
KENYADIGG1T wrote:So my admit package came in and...

...it comes with a YLS snuggie. You read that right.


A man can only dream for a YLS Snuggie ... Ugh I want one lol

winmore1228

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby winmore1228 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:52 pm

bubblebat wrote:I'm wishing I hadn't sent my application off so early, because now I have to figure out how to contact Yale and update them with bad news. It is nerve-wrecking...


What's the bad news?

User avatar
LSATuration

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby LSATuration » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:05 pm

jkander31 wrote:A
KENYADIGG1T wrote:So my admit package came in and...

...it comes with a YLS snuggie. You read that right.


A man can only dream for a YLS Snuggie ... Ugh I want one lol


Jesus Christ that's amazing

bubblebat

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby bubblebat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:08 pm

winmore1228 wrote:
bubblebat wrote:I'm wishing I hadn't sent my application off so early, because now I have to figure out how to contact Yale and update them with bad news. It is nerve-wrecking...


What's the bad news?


I was enrolled in a masters program but something absolutely atrocious has happened (well outside my control) and now I have to withdraw. I've been told my reasons for leaving are more than respectable and my supervisors said they'd be willing to write me a glowing letter to accompany the news, but I still feel like the second I inform Yale, I'll have shot my chances square in the face.

User avatar
LSATuration

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby LSATuration » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:So my admit package came in and...

...it comes with a YLS snuggie. You read that right.


Anyway we can see a photo? :o

gotmilk332

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby gotmilk332 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:14 pm

LSATuration wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:So my admit package came in and...

...it comes with a YLS snuggie. You read that right.


Anyway we can see a photo? :o


^^^



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 15 guests