Removed post... Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wmbuff

Bronze

University of Alabama c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-18 cycle)

Post by wmbuff » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 am

law.ua.edu

LSAT 25/50/75: 157/164/166
GPA 25/50/75: 3.42/3.84/3.94
c/o 2020 class size: 126

US News & World Report ranking: #26
Above the Law ranking: #29

c/o 2016 Biglaw+FC: 23.4% (with strong FC numbers)
c/o 2016 full-time, long-term employment (bar req/JD advantage): 86.9%
c/o 2015 1st time bar passage: 91.3%

Given Alabama's willingness to provide merit scholarships and strong regional reputation, I suspect some of us will end up choosing to roll with the Tide this cycle. Good luck to all!

First poll result:
We clearly liked applying early, with September beating out October.

Second poll result:
Alabama going undefeated took the day, but not with a majority. It was a narrow win over an upset in the SEC Championship or a Playoff loss.

Third poll result:
The Amazon gift card has proven a strong motivator in convincing us to apply, though regional preferences finished a close second.

Fourth poll result:
It looks like the most popular scholarship hope is a full ride, followed by a strong negotiating position.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.

principalagent

Silver

Re: University of Alabama c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-18 cycle)

Post by principalagent » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:55 am

Checking in, and actually already admitted! Got a very generous scholarship as well.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Checking in. Also admitted with scholarship.

lawnerd2021

New

Post by lawnerd2021 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Checking in. Admitted yesterday with full scholarship

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm hoping they deliver on the fee waivers from the Atlanta LSAC forum early in the week. I've got a paycheck coming Monday, and I'd love to get that application in.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SuperRoach7

New

Post by SuperRoach7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:01 pm

In, with $$$! (got accepted last week)

Planning my trip to visit the campus soon.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:00 pm

visited the campus yesterday!
Amazing trip. The folks down there really put on a great show.
Glad I applied.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 am

Checking in! Applied Monday, went under review Monday night!

Hope to hear something soon! Good luck to everyone else who hasn't heard back yet!

lillelord

New

Post by lillelord » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:32 am

SuperRoach7 wrote:In, with $$$! (got accepted last week)

Planning my trip to visit the campus soon.
Were you in Pending Committee Final Decision for a while? I've been PCFD for 2 days now, and from what I gather from previous cycles, its a weird limbo of pre-waitlist/pre-acceptance/pre rejection, which is weird since I'm above median gpa and far above 75th in LSAT. Original app went UR 10/3

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

Finally got my application in!
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:29 pm

And, for those of you following this thread, I've posted a poll of potential interest to folks interested in Alabama.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:43 pm

wmbuff wrote:And, for those of you following this thread, I've posted a poll of potential interest to folks interested in Alabama.

Is BAMA a top choice for you?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:46 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
wmbuff wrote:And, for those of you following this thread, I've posted a poll of potential interest to folks interested in Alabama.

Is BAMA a top choice for you?
It's going to depend on the money, both there and elsewhere, but I'd put it in my top five.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Delta887

New

Post by Delta887 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:33 pm

I applied mid September to Alabama and my ASO went to under review a few days later. My under review status date has been updated twice since then (with the most recent being yesterday). Am I set to be waitlisted or is there still a chance?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 am

Delta887 wrote:I applied mid September to Alabama and my ASO went to under review a few days later. My under review status date has been updated twice since then (with the most recent being yesterday). Am I set to be waitlisted or is there still a chance?
Good question, and I don't know. I'm still waiting in Under Review, myself. I don't think they waitlist folks this early, so they might be waiting to see more of their applicant pool, first.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmenold

New

Post by gmenold » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:46 pm

wmbuff wrote:
Delta887 wrote:I applied mid September to Alabama and my ASO went to under review a few days later. My under review status date has been updated twice since then (with the most recent being yesterday). Am I set to be waitlisted or is there still a chance?
Good question, and I don't know. I'm still waiting in Under Review, myself. I don't think they waitlist folks this early, so they might be waiting to see more of their applicant pool, first.
I got waitlisted on Oct 5th and sent in a LOCI shortly after.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:48 pm

gmenold wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gmenold

New

Post by gmenold » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:46 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
gmenold wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers?
PM'd exact stats, above 75th LSAT and well below 25th GPA.

CADM1UM

New

Post by CADM1UM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:09 am

I've been accepted but I talked to an admissions rep about a month ago at an admissions fair who told me that the majority of 2nd and 3rd year students from out of state were able to qualify for in-state tuition. Does anyone know how valid this claim is? From what I read, qualifying for this at Alabama is not very easy.

RTR87

New

Post by RTR87 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 am

CADM1UM wrote:I've been accepted but I talked to an admissions rep about a month ago at an admissions fair who told me that the majority of 2nd and 3rd year students from out of state were able to qualify for in-state tuition. Does anyone know how valid this claim is? From what I read, qualifying for this at Alabama is not very easy.
Former UA student here. I can confirm that the vast majority of non-1Ls get in-state tuition. I can only think of one person in my class who applied for in-state classification and was denied. This student admitted to not having taken the necessary steps to make a compelling case (i.e., getting an Alabama driver's license, Alabama vehicle registration, registering to vote in the state, etc.). Supposedly, it is nearly impossible to qualify for in-state tuition as an undergrad student because admins presume you reside wherever your family is from. Grad students, however, are considered to be independent from their parents. Assuming you're willing to jump through all the hoops, you should have little issue getting in-state tuition.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:22 am

RTR87 wrote:
CADM1UM wrote:I've been accepted but I talked to an admissions rep about a month ago at an admissions fair who told me that the majority of 2nd and 3rd year students from out of state were able to qualify for in-state tuition. Does anyone know how valid this claim is? From what I read, qualifying for this at Alabama is not very easy.
Former UA student here. I can confirm that the vast majority of non-1Ls get in-state tuition. I can only think of one person in my class who applied for in-state classification and was denied. This student admitted to not having taken the necessary steps to make a compelling case (i.e., getting an Alabama driver's license, Alabama vehicle registration, registering to vote in the state, etc.). Supposedly, it is nearly impossible to qualify for in-state tuition as an undergrad student because admins presume you reside wherever your family is from. Grad students, however, are considered to be independent from their parents. Assuming you're willing to jump through all the hoops, you should have little issue getting in-state tuition.

How was your experience overall at UA? What's the culture like?
Would you attend again if you could do it all over again? Where do you plan to practice?
How were the employment opportunities? Specifically for BigLaw?
Do you feel you degree gave you the opportunity to move out of state/across the country if you wanted?

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CADM1UM

New

Post by CADM1UM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:44 am

RTR87 wrote:

Do you know how that works in regards to scholarships? My current offered scholarship is several thousand more than in-state tuition. Surely you don’t get that remaining several thousand as a stipend.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:15 pm

CADM1UM wrote:
RTR87 wrote:

Do you know how that works in regards to scholarships? My current offered scholarship is several thousand more than in-state tuition. Surely you don’t get that remaining several thousand as a stipend.
I know that my scholarship stipulated specifically that it would be reduced if I attained in-state tuition.

CADM1UM

New

Post by CADM1UM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:
CADM1UM wrote:
RTR87 wrote:

I know that my scholarship stipulated specifically that it would be reduced if I attained in-state tuition.

Gotcha. My admissions packet arrives today and I'm having my dad send me a picture of the scholarship info so I should know more later.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 pm

New poll! It took me a while to figure out how to convince it this was different from the football one. Seeing the votes distributed in the same pattern for the new answers was eerie, but I've got poll creation figured out, now.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”