Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

You just want a pretty Stanford to notice you, so you're taking to Instagram to post...

A selfie in a Stanford hat, Stanford sweatshirt, waving a Stanford flag, taken on the Stanford campus
12%
A casual photo from Cambridge, Mass. because jealousy is your friend
24%
That photo you got with Mark Zuckerberg during your Facebook internship
3%
That photo you got with Jesse Eisenberg + a witty caption thanking him for your Facebook internship
3%
A photo of rare books you haven't read with a vintage filter #learned
24%
A photo of you with nothing but a Stanford flag draped carefully over your body #comeatmecensors
27%
Already have my acceptance letter, so I'll just Insta that with some sunglass emojis ;)
7%

Total votes: 67

dm1683

Silver

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Post by dm1683 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 pm

rachelac wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:Does stanford always go strictly in chronological order? I applied early november
My guess is they're doing auto-admits in roughly chronological order based on their website, though I'm sure there's some small variation based on who's reading your stuff, skipping everyone who is even remotely borderline until their application closes (based on how many people submitted in September, myself included, and haven't had a status change), and rejecting people they know they won't admit or WL in chronological order as well. Then I think they're going to go back through and sort people like me into admit/WL/reject once they have every application in. Your numbers are way better than mine so they might just be slightly out of order or your KJD status might be bumping you back since I know it's been a tough cycle in that regard!
I thought no one was an auto-admit at Stanford? Black box and all that.

gotmilk332

New

Post by gotmilk332 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Liberty4All wrote:didnt have one either. honestly would have been so much hassle to have my writers take their letters and just replace "law school" with "Stanford Law School." and in the end it would have sounded contrived
I think the benefit would be if one of your writers had some connection to Stanford, otherwise it would sound contrived and i dont think would give you the benefit of a "targeted letter" bc it wouldn't be targeted haha. replacing law school with stanford isn't targeted i dont think.

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:14 pm

dm1683 wrote:
rachelac wrote:
april_ludgate wrote:Does stanford always go strictly in chronological order? I applied early november
My guess is they're doing auto-admits in roughly chronological order based on their website, though I'm sure there's some small variation based on who's reading your stuff, skipping everyone who is even remotely borderline until their application closes (based on how many people submitted in September, myself included, and haven't had a status change), and rejecting people they know they won't admit or WL in chronological order as well. Then I think they're going to go back through and sort people like me into admit/WL/reject once they have every application in. Your numbers are way better than mine so they might just be slightly out of order or your KJD status might be bumping you back since I know it's been a tough cycle in that regard!
I thought no one was an auto-admit at Stanford? Black box and all that.
Yeah I may have misused the term but they do seem to be giving more weight to numbers (I'm sure combined with softs) in this first wave than Yale did (based on the limited sample size here and on Reddit).

wulfy10

New

Post by wulfy10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm

In as of this morning! Applied last day of October, UR early November

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:32 pm

gotmilk332 wrote:
Liberty4All wrote:didnt have one either. honestly would have been so much hassle to have my writers take their letters and just replace "law school" with "Stanford Law School." and in the end it would have sounded contrived
I think the benefit would be if one of your writers had some connection to Stanford, otherwise it would sound contrived and i dont think would give you the benefit of a "targeted letter" bc it wouldn't be targeted haha. replacing law school with stanford isn't targeted i dont think.
Lol. I had one of my recommenders just replace "law school" with "Stanford" in his letter but wasn't expecting it to give me any boost. It caused so many logistical issues that I didn't bother asking the other one. Do you think it is worth submitting a third professional rec from a Stanford alum? Probably too late to do so now but considering this if I get waitlisted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gotmilk332

New

Post by gotmilk332 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:36 pm

wulfy10 wrote:In as of this morning! Applied last day of October, UR early November
Congrats!!

doyouknowdawae

New

Post by doyouknowdawae » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Anyone who submitted mid-November and went complete around late-November hear back yet?

husky123

New

Post by husky123 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm

What is a targeted letter? I asked my Prof for one without explaining it and he said he will do it for SLS. He is a stanford (not law) alumini so maybe he knows what it is cause i don't aside from saying what the instruction said... Is SLS the only school that values targeted letter? I have like no other targeted letters

aegor

Bronze

Post by aegor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:58 pm

husky123 wrote:What is a targeted letter? I asked my Prof for one without explaining it and he said he will do it for SLS. He is a stanford (not law) alumini so maybe he knows what it is cause i don't aside from saying what the instruction said... Is SLS the only school that values targeted letter? I have like no other targeted letters
I imagine that it is a letter geared toward a particular school rather than a general recommendation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 am

husky123 wrote:What is a targeted letter? I asked my Prof for one without explaining it and he said he will do it for SLS. He is a stanford (not law) alumini so maybe he knows what it is cause i don't aside from saying what the instruction said... Is SLS the only school that values targeted letter? I have like no other targeted letters
Aegor above is correct -- targeted letters are LOR significantly tailored for a particular school. They not only explain why you would be a good law student/lawyer in general, but also why you would be a good fit for the specific law school in question.

And although I think most law schools value targeted LOR, SLS is the only school I've come across that explicitly mentions they highly value them on their website. (I have only looked at ~20 law school websites, mind.)

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:35 am

Just got the call! IN!!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 am

AlPastor wrote:Just got the call! IN!!
!!!!!! Congrats!!!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 am

YESSS! Con-FUCKING-grats man!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cwasser3

Bronze

Post by cwasser3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am

Congrats! What are your stats/when did you submit?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:39 am

CONGRATS MAN!!!!

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you everyone! Literally ecstatic

Stats and dates here http://lawschoolnumbers.com/AlPastor

anacabana

New

Post by anacabana » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 pm

AlPastor wrote:Thank you everyone! Literally ecstatic

Fellow URM, this gives me so much hope. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Congrats!!!!

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:31 pm

Congrats! What a great start for the weekend!

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Congrats to AlPastor and any other new admits!
I have to be honest I am NOT digging this "1-2 admits a day" wave process :lol:

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:42 pm

!!! That's amazing, congrats!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Thank you everyone!

I still can't believe it. SLS is my dream school. I wasn't expecting it and all I can say is: don't lose hope!

tuna_wasabi

Bronze

Post by tuna_wasabi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 pm

From the website:
The Admissions Committee does not grant interviews as part of the admissions process. However, we encourage you to visit the school and arrange to meet with a member of the admissions staff.
So is visiting considered a plus? Would love to visit and escape the winter regardless, but flight is hella expensive.

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:27 pm

AlPastor wrote:Thank you everyone!

I still can't believe it. SLS is my dream school. I wasn't expecting it and all I can say is: don't lose hope!
Congrats and see you at ASW!

squarerootofi

New

Post by squarerootofi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:58 am

Any chance for a wave (trickle) of acceptances for December completes this week? looks like there were a few around this time last year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”