ASU c/o 2021 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StephArizona

New

Re: ASU c/o 2021 applicants

Post by StephArizona » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm

Did anyone else get a really low scholarship offer accompanied with a letter saying that if you opted into the binding program you'd get a substantially higher scholarship?

I called last Friday to get more information and clarity to make sure they used my highest LSAT in their calculations, but they haven't called back yet.

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:02 pm

StephArizona wrote:Did anyone else get a really low scholarship offer accompanied with a letter saying that if you opted into the binding program you'd get a substantially higher scholarship?

I called last Friday to get more information and clarity to make sure they used my highest LSAT in their calculations, but they haven't called back yet.
I did get the letter, but thought my initial offer was pretty great too
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studystudystudy

New

Post by studystudystudy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:00 am

ocw96 wrote:
studystudystudy wrote:Any idea when we will hear something concerning those who are waitlisted?
I know the seat deposit deadline is April 1, so I would assume sometime after that.
Thank you!

ocw96

New

Post by ocw96 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 am

kippercd wrote:
StephArizona wrote:Did anyone else get a really low scholarship offer accompanied with a letter saying that if you opted into the binding program you'd get a substantially higher scholarship?

Hmm, I didn’t get that letter, but I got one inviting me to the binding program (there was no mention of extra scholarship money for doing that)

LegallyRedHead

New

Post by LegallyRedHead » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:06 am

ocw96 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

Hmm, I didn’t get that letter, but I got one inviting me to the binding program (there was no mention of extra scholarship money for doing that)

I got the same letter letting me know if I opted for the binding program I could get a better scholarship offer. I just emailed to ask what that realistically would mean for me. I am strongly considering opting in and also not having to pay the seat deposit is a plus! I'm planning on flying out (I am from Sacramento, CA) in the next week or so to check everything out first. But since I got accepted ASU has grown on me every day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StephArizona

New

Post by StephArizona » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm

LegallyRedHead wrote:
ocw96 wrote:[ay to I got the same letter letting me know if I opted for the binding program I could get a better scholarship offer. I just emailed to ask what that realistically would mean for me. I am strongly considering opting in and also not having to pay the seat deposit is a plus! I'm planning on flying out (I am from Sacramento, CA) in the next week or so to check everything out first. But since I got accepted ASU has grown on me every day.
The new campus is great and they have some really interesting satellite learning opportunities in DC and LA that I find really attractive.

bleighn

New

Post by bleighn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Yes!!! I'm curious how much they would be willing to up the scholarship, because that could make or break my decision!

bleighn

New

Post by bleighn » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:55 pm

LegallyRedHead wrote:
ocw96 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

I got the same letter letting me know if I opted for the binding program I could get a better scholarship offer. I just emailed to ask what that realistically would mean for me. I am strongly considering opting in and also not having to pay the seat deposit is a plus! I'm planning on flying out (I am from Sacramento, CA) in the next week or so to check everything out first. But since I got accepted ASU has grown on me every day.
Let us know when you hear back!

LegallyRedHead

New

Post by LegallyRedHead » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:45 pm

bleighn wrote:
LegallyRedHead wrote:
ocw96 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

I just got an email back! I was told that if I opted into the binding merit scholar program, the average scholarship increase is 10%-25% more than the regular decision applicants. I was also told the deadline to opt in was March 1, 2018.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ocw96

New

Post by ocw96 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:57 pm

LegallyRedHead wrote:
bleighn wrote:
LegallyRedHead wrote:
ocw96 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

I just got an email back! I was told that if I opted into the binding merit scholar program, the average scholarship increase is 10%-25% more than the regular decision applicants. I was also told the deadline to opt in was March 1, 2018.
Is this different than the O'Connor Honors Scholars program?

StephArizona

New

Post by StephArizona » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:10 pm

bleighn wrote:

Yes!!! I'm curious how much they would be willing to up the scholarship, because that could make or break my decision!
I got a call today about all of this and you do have room to negotiate. So absolutely reach out.

LegallyRedHead

New

Post by LegallyRedHead » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm

ocw96 wrote:
LegallyRedHead wrote:
bleighn wrote:
LegallyRedHead wrote:
ocw96 wrote:
kippercd wrote:

Is this different than the O'Connor Honors Scholars program?
Yes, the O'Connor Honors Scholars program is a binding decision that guarantees a full-ride and you must have a 3.8 GPA and a 164 LSAT.

LegallyRedHead

New

Post by LegallyRedHead » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 pm

StephArizona wrote:
bleighn wrote:

I got a call today about all of this and you do have room to negotiate. So absolutely reach out.

Did you get any other information from this call? Did they say anything specific about increasing scholarships?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ocw96

New

Post by ocw96 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:33 pm

Is this different than the O'Connor Honors Scholars program?[/quote]
Yes, the O'Connor Honors Scholars program is a binding decision that guarantees a full-ride and you must have a 3.8 GPA and a 164 LSAT.[/quote]

Oh okay, that explains why I didn’t get the same letter than. I got the O’Connor one. Thanks for clarifying!

LegallyRedHead

New

Post by LegallyRedHead » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 am

Officially visiting O'Connor Law and Phoenix February 7 - February 11! I am hoping to have a great experience because l already feel very sold on ASU! :D

KayHSC

New

Post by KayHSC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:22 am

Has anyone reached out about the travel stipend for the admitted students day and not heard back? I emailed for information about 2 weeks ago and am wondering if I should follow up. I live in South Carolina so I figure the earlier I can book the better chance the stipend will be able to cover most of the flying expenses.

ocw96

New

Post by ocw96 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 am

KayHSC wrote:Has anyone reached out about the travel stipend for the admitted students day and not heard back? I emailed for information about 2 weeks ago and am wondering if I should follow up. I live in South Carolina so I figure the earlier I can book the better chance the stipend will be able to cover most of the flying expenses.
I would definitely follow up. I heard back within a day of emailing them- I am sure they are just super busy right now, so I would check in again!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LegallyRedHead

New

Post by LegallyRedHead » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:03 pm

ocw96 wrote:
KayHSC wrote:Has anyone reached out about the travel stipend for the admitted students day and not heard back? I emailed for information about 2 weeks ago and am wondering if I should follow up. I live in South Carolina so I figure the earlier I can book the better chance the stipend will be able to cover most of the flying expenses.
I would definitely follow up. I heard back within a day of emailing them- I am sure they are just super busy right now, so I would check in again!
I emailed and got an email back the next day. They will reimburse up to $500 for a flight.

kippercd

Bronze

Removed

Post by kippercd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 pm

TLSYes
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KayHSC

New

Post by KayHSC » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:21 pm

LegallyRedHead wrote:
ocw96 wrote:
I emailed and got an email back the next day. They will reimburse up to $500 for a flight.
I emailed again and got a response! Thank you both :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”