Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

I have been...

Interviewed but still pending
21%
Interviewed but dinged :(
3%
Interviewed and accepted
38%
Accepted without an interview
1%
Dinged without an interview :(
3%
Just twiddling my thumbs... ho hum... la di da...
23%
Writing a comprehensive but concise poll option for people who aren't applying to Texas this cycle but would like to vote in this poll
11%

Total votes: 194

ATXStudent

New

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by ATXStudent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Just trying to help!

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 pm

ATXStudent wrote:Just trying to help!
I'm just giving you a hard time! We are grasping for any nugget of hope we can find.

Fauken

New

Post by Fauken » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Dickens wrote:
Fauken wrote:Just got an email from UT saying I've been denied. Good luck to everyone else!
Sorry to hear it :( did you apply ED by any chance?
Yes I did!

StephPerez

New

Post by StephPerez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Hey guys, I know someone asked this already, but I haven't seen a reply that really answers the question. For anyone that has been interviewed- how did you prepare? What were the questions about? Someone had mentioned more focused on law school-- but in what way? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Hook 'em.

ToddCraines

New

Post by ToddCraines » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 pm

StephPerez wrote:Hey guys, I know someone asked this already, but I haven't seen a reply that really answers the question. For anyone that has been interviewed- how did you prepare? What were the questions about? Someone had mentioned more focused on law school-- but in what way? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Hook 'em.

I didn't do any preparation beyond the practice you're forced to take (and the Northwestern Interview I had done before) but I found the Texas interview to be easier and more natural. Be thinking about things you're passionate about, education wise and not related to education. And also think about why law and why Texas. I found their questions to be way more conversational, even though I was talking to myself lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:52 pm

ToddCraines wrote:
StephPerez wrote:Hey guys, I know someone asked this already, but I haven't seen a reply that really answers the question. For anyone that has been interviewed- how did you prepare? What were the questions about? Someone had mentioned more focused on law school-- but in what way? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Hook 'em.

I didn't do any preparation beyond the practice you're forced to take (and the Northwestern Interview I had done before) but I found the Texas interview to be easier and more natural. Be thinking about things you're passionate about, education wise and not related to education. And also think about why law and why Texas. I found their questions to be way more conversational, even though I was talking to myself lol
I thought they were good questions, and nothing you need spelled out in detail if you know yourself and are going about your application process deliberately.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StephPerez

New

Post by StephPerez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:13 pm

ToddCraines wrote:

That's a relief, thank you for your input! I guess I was working myself up a little bit, but I'll review my application again and make sure I'm on top of everything. :)

StephPerez

New

Post by StephPerez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 pm

wmbuff wrote:
ToddCraines wrote:

I thought they were good questions, and nothing you need spelled out in detail if you know yourself and are going about your application process deliberately.
Sounds good! I appreciate your insight, I'll be looking over my ps and resume once again before I interview.

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Post by JamesBlahDeBlah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 pm

StephPerez wrote:Sounds good! I appreciate your insight, I'll be looking over my ps and resume once again before I interview.
Also, be conscious of the clock during your responses. I'm a rambler and done goofed on one by going over and not getting to the important part of the answer.

Also, I personally think interviewing like this is incredibly dehumanizing and not a good look for schools. I get it's efficient, but I come away from the interview with ill will for having done it.
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Last edited by NeneLeakesss_409 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:14 pm

edited the quote and my answer out.
Last edited by principalagent on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sophocles

New

Post by sophocles » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

As with a normal LS interview (i.e. face-to-face), know and be confident in your “story” as it relates to you law school aspirations. Do your best to be as relaxed as possible. I personally just sat and relaxed for a while before I started the session.
Last edited by sophocles on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StephPerez

New

Post by StephPerez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:
StephPerez wrote:Sounds good! I appreciate your insight, I'll be looking over my ps and resume once again before I interview.
Also, be conscious of the clock during your responses. I'm a rambler and done goofed on one by going over and not getting to the important part of the answer.

Also, I personally think interviewing like this is incredibly dehumanizing and not a good look for schools. I get it's efficient, but I come away from the interview with ill will for having done it.
Thanks for the tip about timing, I've been practicing to hit that 1:30 mark, I don't feel like I need the entire 90 seconds, so I hope I'm able to stop recording once I've gotten my point across.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 pm

StephPerez wrote:
JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:

Thanks for the tip about timing, I've been practicing to hit that 1:30 mark, I don't feel like I need the entire 90 seconds, so I hope I'm able to stop recording once I've gotten my point across.
You are! Just hit the space bar. I did that twice, so that the video ends when my answer ends, with no awkward pause.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SusanSays

New

Post by SusanSays » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 am

Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant. Does anyone know whether Texas would interview international applicants? I completed my application in early November but I haven't received any interview invitation yet. Is this normal?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 am

SusanSays wrote:Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant. Does anyone know whether Texas would interview international applicants? I completed my application in early November but I haven't received any interview invitation yet. Is this normal?
This is the first year Texas has done interviews, so none of us really know what normal is for them, yet. They've said it's a pilot program, and the lack of one isn't a bad sign, but we really don't know. Sorry I can't give you something more solid. I applied over a month before my interview request.

SusanSays

New

Post by SusanSays » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am

wmbuff wrote:
SusanSays wrote:Hi everyone, I'm an international applicant. Does anyone know whether Texas would interview international applicants? I completed my application in early November but I haven't received any interview invitation yet. Is this normal?
This is the first year Texas has done interviews, so none of us really know what normal is for them, yet. They've said it's a pilot program, and the lack of one isn't a bad sign, but we really don't know. Sorry I can't give you something more solid. I applied over a month before my interview request.
Thanks a lot, I was just wondering why I didn't hear about interviews in the previous cycle. Good luck to your app!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xinaialice

New

Post by xinaialice » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:51 am

SusanSays wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
Thanks a lot, I was just wondering why I didn't hear about interviews in the previous cycle. Good luck to your app!

I am an international student and got interview several weeks ago. So the answer is... Yes! They do interview international students.

fastfretxfingers

New

Post by fastfretxfingers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:59 pm

wmbuff wrote:

That's not true. I am a reapplicant and was asked to do a Kira interview last cycle. (I was ultimately waitlisted and dinged at the end of the summer).

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm

fastfretxfingers wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

That's not true. I am a reapplicant and was asked to do a Kira interview last cycle. (I was ultimately waitlisted and dinged at the end of the summer).
Interesting! Folks talking to the adcoms had said they described these Kira interviews as a pilot program, and you're the first person I've seen mention taking a Kira interview last cycle. Thanks for correcting us.

fastfretxfingers

New

Post by fastfretxfingers » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:43 pm

wmbuff wrote:
fastfretxfingers wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

Interesting! Folks talking to the adcoms had said they described these Kira interviews as a pilot program, and you're the first person I've seen mention taking a Kira interview last cycle. Thanks for correcting us.
Yeah this guy also got an interview:
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lawschoolmvp

It was more for borderline candidates last year, I believe. I guess we were a proof-of-concept for the pilot program lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:03 pm

wmbuff wrote:
fastfretxfingers wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

AFAIK the interviews were a pilot program last cycle, and they're rolling it out to more people (but maybe not everyone?) this year.

OhMyLaw

New

Post by OhMyLaw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Hey everyone, sorry if this was asked before but my perusal of the replies didn't yeild any answers.

What are the different stages for the status checker? Like mine currently says "application processed as of November 28, 2017". Does that mean that it went complete then and they started reviewing it?

Thanks for any and all replies!

FN-2187

Bronze

Post by FN-2187 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 pm

OhMyLaw wrote:Hey everyone, sorry if this was asked before but my perusal of the replies didn't yeild any answers.

What are the different stages for the status checker? Like mine currently says "application processed as of November 28, 2017". Does that mean that it went complete then and they started reviewing it?

Thanks for any and all replies!
UT's status checker doesn't do stages, unfortunately.
Last edited by FN-2187 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

emx0824

New

Post by emx0824 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Kira interview requested just now. Complete 10/30

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”