Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

I have been...

Interviewed but still pending
21%
Interviewed but dinged :(
3%
Interviewed and accepted
38%
Accepted without an interview
1%
Dinged without an interview :(
3%
Just twiddling my thumbs... ho hum... la di da...
23%
Writing a comprehensive but concise poll option for people who aren't applying to Texas this cycle but would like to vote in this poll
11%

Total votes: 194

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Post by subpoenacolada » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:35 am

RobinLeHood13 wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Got In!!!! OOS, hope to work in Dallas after graduation. Anyone know anything about tuition waivers to get state tuition? I love to the school so much, now I just need to be able to afford it
Did you interview?

I did back, December 9th. App was complete 10/1.

On another note, I understand lawschool is an incredible amount of studying and that is the reason we are there, but earlier in the semester does anyone know if people go to the games at all?
Before people jump down my throat, I fully get it that law is not undergrad... I’m talking about a game in September or early October
Of course you can go to the games! Lol I guarantee you there are students in the law school who don’t miss a game all season. Of course law school is a lot more studying than we’re used to and you do have to give up a big chunk of the free time you’re used to having, but if you don’t maintain hobbies or SOME kind of weekly activity unrelated to law, you will lose your mind.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:41 am

Bad news in the poll, folks. After holding steady without anyone indicating they were dinged after an interview, we finally have someone who was. Not sure who it is, but it certainly erodes the margin of comfort that the interview request gave me.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLeHood13

New

Post by RobinLeHood13 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Got In!!!! OOS, hope to work in Dallas after graduation. Anyone know anything about tuition waivers to get state tuition? I love to the school so much, now I just need to be able to afford it
Did you interview?

On another note, I understand lawschool is an incredible amount of studying and that is the reason we are there, but earlier in the semester does anyone know if people go to the games at all?
Before people jump down my throat, I fully get it that law is not undergrad... I’m talking about a game in September or early October
Of course you can go to the games! Lol I guarantee you there are students in the law school who don’t miss a game all season. Of course law school is a lot more studying than we’re used to and you do have to give up a big chunk of the free time you’re used to having, but if you don’t maintain hobbies or SOME kind of weekly activity unrelated to law, you will lose your mind.

Ha sweet, I asked a guy at Georgetown how he likes DC and the guy told me he hadn’t gone out yet that semester, that he doesn’t have time to do anything but study. It was the middle of October. I assumed he was lying or doing so much that it was counter productive. Even if you’re putting in 80 hrs a week, you still have time to break away a little bit. I feel like that story sums up just about every person from other schools that I’ve spoken with.

bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New

Post by bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm

In! 3.56, 173, OOS (although I live in Austin now). I went complete in Oct and interviewed a few weeks ago. I didn't think my interview was all that great, for anyone still waiting and concerned about that.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm

bigflaw_ruleofjaw wrote:In! 3.56, 173, OOS (although I live in Austin now). I went complete in Oct and interviewed a few weeks ago. I didn't think my interview was all that great, for anyone still waiting and concerned about that.
How were you notified?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New

Post by bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Received a call yesterday and got the package in the mail today.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 pm

RobinLeHood13 wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote: Of course you can go to the games! Lol I guarantee you there are students in the law school who don’t miss a game all season. Of course law school is a lot more studying than we’re used to and you do have to give up a big chunk of the free time you’re used to having, but if you don’t maintain hobbies or SOME kind of weekly activity unrelated to law, you will lose your mind.

Ha sweet, I asked a guy at Georgetown how he likes DC and the guy told me he hadn’t gone out yet that semester, that he doesn’t have time to do anything but study. It was the middle of October. I assumed he was lying or doing so much that it was counter productive. Even if you’re putting in 80 hrs a week, you still have time to break away a little bit. I feel like that story sums up just about every person from other schools that I’ve spoken with.
the law students still go to games.

if you aren't going out and it's only october, you are probably hating life and not helping yourself at all.

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

RobinLeHood13 wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
Did you interview?

I didn't miss a game all season! Just took a little time management towards the end

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 pm

If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rtango

New

Post by rtango » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Got the call today, I'm in! I applied ED, interviewed in November, got switched to RD in December.

162, 3.88

Some additional info for those who have private messaged me - I sent a LOCI after being switched. I did not submit a "Why Texas" because I would have just repeated what I said in the interview.

Oh, and I'm in-state!
Last edited by rtango on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SusanSays

New

Post by SusanSays » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(
I'm in the same boat with you. Hope this is not a ding sign :cry:

alykdesire

New

Post by alykdesire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Submitted my application on 12/27 and went complete yesterday. Got an interview invite today! :D

Tycho_Brohey

New

Post by Tycho_Brohey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Anyone else freaking out about Texas?

I applied end of October, in state, 3.8x GPA and 170 LSAT. Submitted my interview at some point in November and now I’m just sitting here.

There have been tons of admits between here and reddit. There doesn’t appear to be any real rhyme or reason to it. Plenty of in state, plenty OOS, some with better stats than mine, others with worse stats.

I suppose I could explain it away via my December retake, but I’m still super antsy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

i have above both 75th and in state and haven't heard since interview, complete early november, same boat!
Last edited by austinlove on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alykdesire

New

Post by alykdesire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Also, how long did it take yall to hear back after the interview? (For those who have heard back already)
Last edited by alykdesire on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm

alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.
Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

SusanSays wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(

I hope so too. I really UT and would be very happy there. sigh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tony_dirko

New

Post by tony_dirko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
SusanSays wrote:

I hope so too. I really UT and would be very happy there. sigh.
I applied ED in early October and was moved to RD on 12/14, and still haven't received a request. I feel like there are plenty of interview requests coming because if a lack of request was an automatic rejection, I'm not sure why I wouldn't have been rejected by now.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:32 pm

sev wrote:
alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.
Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.
Oh I totally didn't use the full 1:30. I think I hit 1:10, 1:20 and just ended it. Is that bad?

Zero Hedge

New

Post by Zero Hedge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:35 pm

heyduchess wrote:
sev wrote:

Oh I totally didn't use the full 1:30. I think I hit 1:10, 1:20 and just ended it. Is that bad?
Highly doubt it. I'd rather have that happen than see I'm at 1:20 and realize I have to wrap it up when I'm in the middle of my answer.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:11 pm

heyduchess wrote:
sev wrote:

Yeah no, definitely not. If I had to do it again I'd shoot for 45 seconds to a minute.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm

sev wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
sev wrote:

Yeah no, definitely not. If I had to do it again I'd shoot for 45 seconds to a minute.
Ending answers like...
[+] Spoiler

manchesterengland

New

Post by manchesterengland » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 am

Checking in! Applied 12/14, and my application hasn't had any movement since it went complete on 12/18. So I just submitted a Why Texas and am crossing my fingers that will help!

rtango

New

Post by rtango » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm

alykdesire wrote:Also, how long did it take yall to hear back after the interview? (For those who have heard back already)
I heard ~2.5 weeks after my application went complete.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 pm

In! Just got the call. In-state, RD. Applied on Grey Day in October, and interviewed in mid-December. I'm a splitter so there is hope!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”