Notre Dame Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-18) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OldCollegeTry

New

Re: Notre Dame Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-18)

Post by OldCollegeTry » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 pm

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
OldCollegeTry wrote:Lexigator,

Where do most law students live? On campus, or off? I have been looking at the housing options at Notre Dame and in South Bend at large. The law school website doesn't give much information on the on campus housing options. In particular there seems to be a dearth of information on the Fisher, O'Hara Grace Residencies. Also, do most off campus students drive on to campus for class, or do busses run into the city?

-OCT
I would avoid Fisher, O'Hara Grace like the plague. They're pretty dated and crappy.

That was the impression I got from the pictures posted on the website. Also, they have them listed as 1BR 1Bath units, but the floor plans show pretty clearly that they are suite style with a shared common area.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am

OldCollegeTry wrote:
I would avoid Fisher, O'Hara Grace like the plague. They're pretty dated and crappy.

That was the impression I got from the pictures posted on the website. Also, they have them listed as 1BR 1Bath units, but the floor plans show pretty clearly that they are suite style with a shared common area.
I've only ever been inside one, but yea, it was a 3 or 4 br suite. The best apartments imo are the Foundry on Eddy St, but they can be a little pricey. The Pointe apartments are also nice and a little cheaper, but its about a 5 minute drive to campus. Irish Row is another one I'd look into.

Versailles1919

New

Post by Versailles1919 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

So when do we think decisions are going to start coming out? My date already changed 3 times so I'm hoping within the next 2 weeks!

DCKMK13

New

Post by DCKMK13 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Versailles1919 wrote:So when do we think decisions are going to start coming out? My date already changed 3 times so I'm hoping within the next 2 weeks!

I had 3 changes as well. I'm thinking late next week, or maybe two weeks for the first wave.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:37 pm

DCKMK13 wrote:
Versailles1919 wrote:So when do we think decisions are going to start coming out? My date already changed 3 times so I'm hoping within the next 2 weeks!

I had 3 changes as well. I'm thinking late next week, or maybe two weeks for the first wave.
Yeah, according to LSN the first decisions went out on 12/8 last year, so it looks like this year will be similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:34 pm

2 status date changes in 3 days, the 27th and today.
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stlouisiana

New

Post by stlouisiana » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:14 pm

11/1 -> 11/13 -> 12/1

Fingers crossed that means news next week or so

DJ2k15

New

Post by DJ2k15 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:18 am

OldCollegeTry wrote:

I've only ever been inside one, but yea, it was a 3 or 4 br suite. The best apartments imo are the Foundry on Eddy St, but they can be a little pricey. The Pointe apartments are also nice and a little cheaper, but its about a 5 minute drive to campus. Irish Row is another one I'd look into.

This is bad advice, especially having never actually been inside one, let alone lived there. It is the cheapest and closest option. The majority of students live at Fischer during 1L.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:21 am

DJ2k15 wrote:
OldCollegeTry wrote:

This is bad advice, especially having never actually been inside one, let alone lived there. It is the cheapest and closest option. The majority of students live at Fischer during 1L.
Yea, you misread this. I have been inside one and it was awful. My sister lived in one for a month and left because it was awful. There are a million different better options, unless price is your only concern, then yes, I'd say go for it.

Also, in terms of distance to the law school, its not really that much closer than eddy street or irish row is since you have to walk all the way across north quad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Here’s hoping for some decisions this week...

OldCollegeTry

New

Post by OldCollegeTry » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:58 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:Here’s hoping for some decisions this week...
Tomorrow would be lovely! Unfortunately I doubt I will be in the first wave since I haven't gone UR yet, to my knowledge :(

DJ2k15

New

Post by DJ2k15 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm

DJ2k15 wrote:
OldCollegeTry wrote:

Yea, you misread this. I have been inside one and it was awful. My sister lived in one for a month and left because it was awful. There are a million different better options, unless price is your only concern, then yes, I'd say go for it.

Also, in terms of distance to the law school, its not really that much closer than eddy street or irish row is since you have to walk all the way across north quad.
I did misread this, but I still disagree. I lived there during 1L. You pay $630 (including utilities) a month at Fischer and its the closest place to campus. For those without a car, even that walk can be brutal during winter. Eddy street is just as close as Fischer, but its not even in the same ballpark with regard to the price. I think most people that have lived at Fischer would agree that you don't need to avoid it like the plague. If you are trying to save money, plan on walking to campus, and do most of your studying at the law school, then Fischer is a great option.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

DJ2k15 wrote:
DJ2k15 wrote:
OldCollegeTry wrote:

I did misread this, but I still disagree. I lived there during 1L. You pay $630 (including utilities) a month at Fischer and its the closest place to campus. For those without a car, even that walk can be brutal during winter. Eddy street is just as close as Fischer, but its not even in the same ballpark with regard to the price. I think most people that have lived at Fischer would agree that you don't need to avoid it like the plague. If you are trying to save money, plan on walking to campus, and do most of your studying at the law school, then Fischer is a great option.
I'll admit "avoid like the plague" was a bit exaggerated on my part. I'd agree Fischer is a good place for someone mainly focused on price and proximity. I think there are far better options if you're willing to pay even slightly more in rent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChiCityLove

New

Post by ChiCityLove » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:33 am

Checking in! Applied last night. (Impatiently) waiting on a status checker email :)

Sharktank1515

New

Post by Sharktank1515 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am

Submitted ED early November. One date change in late November. Any ideas if I will be in the first wave with only one date change thus far? And when the first wave will be?

Versailles1919

New

Post by Versailles1919 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:56 am

Sharktank1515 wrote:Submitted ED early November. One date change in late November. Any ideas if I will be in the first wave with only one date change thus far? And when the first wave will be?
From LSN, it looks like the first wave happened on 12/8 last cycle. Hopefully the first wave happens at the end of this week or the beginning of next week. As for the one change, some of us have already undergone 3 changes so I am not sure. Really hoping we all hear soon :D

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Versailles1919 wrote:
Sharktank1515 wrote:Submitted ED early November. One date change in late November. Any ideas if I will be in the first wave with only one date change thus far? And when the first wave will be?
From LSN, it looks like the first wave happened on 12/8 last cycle. Hopefully the first wave happens at the end of this week or the beginning of next week. As for the one change, some of us have already undergone 3 changes so I am not sure. Really hoping we all hear soon :D
I’m hoping the same. 12/8 was a Thursday last year and there were waves on Friday 12/9 and Monday 12/12 as well. Hopefully this year will be the same, and we’ll get a wave on 12/7.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Versailles1919

New

Post by Versailles1919 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:
Versailles1919 wrote:
I’m hoping the same. 12/8 was a Thursday last year and there were waves on Friday 12/9 and Monday 12/12 as well. Hopefully this year will be the same, and we’ll get a wave on 12/7.
I think ND sends the letters in the mail though right? It will go "decision made" and then we have to wait for the letter in the mail? Hopefully email, but I feel as if I read the mail thing somewhere.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 pm

So, I’m probably way overthinking this, but... according to LSN first decisions were December 8th last year, which fell on a Thursday. I went back to 2015 on LSN to see if they went out on a Thursday that year as well, and instead I found that they apparently went out on December 8th of that year as well, which was a Wednesday.

With my day of the week theory out the window, I started pondering the significance of December 8th. Being catholic myself, and with the understanding that Notre Dame is technically a private catholic school, my mind turned to feast days of saints. I thought maybe they sent them out on the feast of Saint Nick to give us a little gift in the spirit of the season, but when I looked it up I found that it fell on December 6th. HOWEVER, upon looking up the catholic significance of December 8th I realized that it is not just a feast day, but a holy day of obligation: THE FEAST OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. Notre Dame translates to “our lady” in French. The feast of the immaculate conception is our lady’s big day. Coincidence? I think not.
Well, actually it probably is.

trmckenz

Bronze

Post by trmckenz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:So, I’m probably way overthinking this, but... according to LSN first decisions were December 8th last year, which fell on a Thursday. I went back to 2015 on LSN to see if they went out on a Thursday that year as well, and instead I found that they apparently went out on December 8th of that year as well, which was a Wednesday.

With my day of the week theory out the window, I started pondering the significance of December 8th. Being catholic myself, and with the understanding that Notre Dame is technically a private catholic school, my mind turned to feast days of saints. I thought maybe they sent them out on the feast of Saint Nick to give us a little gift in the spirit of the season, but when I looked it up I found that it fell on December 6th. HOWEVER, upon looking up the catholic significance of December 8th I realized that it is not just a feast day, but a holy day of obligation: THE FEAST OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION. Notre Dame translates to “our lady” in French. The feast of the immaculate conception is our lady’s big day. Coincidence? I think not.
Well, actually it probably is.
This was entertaining.

I am a 1L at NDLS. I received my decision last year on 12/8 after EDing. Happy to answer any questions you all may have, or show you around campus if you come up for a visit. I had a really nice alum on TLS do that for me last year.

The school is pretty awesome. We have a great faculty - three of my five professors next semester clerked on the Supreme Court. The students are smart and fun. There are many opportunities to get out of South Bend for a bit. There is excellent comradery within my class and with the upperclassmen, despite us seeing a lot of each other every day. The football season was better than I imagined, and ND's basketball team is looking competitive too. It is starting to get really cold right about now (I am from the South).

To settle the housing dispute, the hierarchy is, at least for walkable apartments, as follows:

Foundry (10 min) > Overlook (15 min) > Irish Crossings/Campus View/Irish Row/FOG/etc. (15-20 min)... there are also some houses and townhomes within walking distance, though most are privately owned.

Plenty of people live off campus, and there are a couple of nice options downtown or close to it. If you drive, there is still a 7-10 minute walk from the parking lot to the law school.

Versailles1919

New

Post by Versailles1919 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Hoping for some decisions to be made today!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gunner19

New

Post by Gunner19 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 pm

trmckenz wrote:
To settle the housing dispute, the hierarchy is, at least for walkable apartments, as follows:

KEGACY > Foundry (10 min) > Overlook (15 min) > Irish Crossings/Campus View/Irish Row/FOG/etc. (15-20 min)... there are also some houses and townhomes within walking distance, though most are privately owned.
Fixed

tpeters

New

Post by tpeters » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:35 pm

Versailles1919 wrote:Hoping for some decisions to be made today!

I'm surprised there haven't been any decisions today after seeing the timelines from recent cycles

Versailles1919

New

Post by Versailles1919 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:18 pm

tpeters wrote:
Versailles1919 wrote:Hoping for some decisions to be made today!

I'm surprised there haven't been any decisions today after seeing the timelines from recent cycles
I agree. For the past 2 cycles, early applicants got their decisions this week with more decisions the beginning of the next. Possibly the beginning of next week for us, but who knows at this point.

Sharktank1515

New

Post by Sharktank1515 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:08 pm

Anyone expecting decisions tomorrow?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”