Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your ~status~?

Accepted, attending, dancing in the streets
3%
Accepted, trying to figure out how to get more $$
16%
Accepted, waiting anxiously on my financial aid package
3%
Accepted, going to ASW 1
5%
Accepted, going to ASW 2
7%
Waiting anxiously on my acceptance
60%
Getting my apps in over winter break
1%
Applying in February just for the heck of it, will be reapplying
2%
In high school, lurking
2%

Total votes: 121

Mikey

Platinum

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Post by Mikey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:07 pm

twitter cat is amazing

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 am

Lagentblaugrana wrote:Does anyone know whether sending a post-admission Why Mich for scholarship purposes is advisable? I did not write one originally, although I am fairly certain that I could make it convincing.
Wondering a similar thing:

I applied with a fee waiver, but did not send in "Why Michigan?" around 10/18. Above the 75th percentile in GPA and LSAT, URM. I've been contemplating whether or not to send an additional "Why Michigan" letter. I've had limited correspondence with Dean Zearfoss (she's an alum from the women's LAC affiliated with mine) but I wasn't sure if that was enough to demonstrate my interest? Haven't heard back yet...

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:32 am

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
Lagentblaugrana wrote:Does anyone know whether sending a post-admission Why Mich for scholarship purposes is advisable? I did not write one originally, although I am fairly certain that I could make it convincing.

I applied with a fee waiver, but did not send in "Why Michigan?" around 10/18. Above the 75th percentile in GPA and LSAT, URM. I've been contemplating whether or not to send an additional "Why Michigan" letter. I've had limited correspondence with Dean Zearfoss (she's an alum from the women's LAC affiliated with mine) but I wasn't sure if that was enough to demonstrate my interest? Haven't heard back yet...
personally, i am of the opinion that providing a why michigan is ALWAYS better than no why michigan, even if that means sending it later. the school is full of people who genuinely want to be here (very often choosing it over higher-ranked schools), and it's important to show that you do too. plus, it's kind of a fun essay to write, shouldn't take too much time, etc. low risk, high reward.

disclaimer: i don't actually know how admissions stuff works, this is just the vibe i get. and it worked for me! at the very least, it will make you learn more about the school and provide the adcomm with more information about you.

fun somewhat-relevant fact: i wrote part of my why michigan about a certain professor. dean z put me in the section that they teach. i went out for drinks with that professor tonight, had an absolutely wonderful time, and was reminded again and again why i'm here.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:15 am

Yay, complete :)

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:46 am

usaorbust wrote:Yay, complete :)
when did you submit and how long after did you get a status checker?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 am

Mikey wrote:
submitted 11/3, status checker 11/6 and complete today

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:59 am

usaorbust wrote:
Mikey wrote:
submitted 11/3, status checker 11/6 and complete today
oh ok thanks!

jakebrigance11

New

Post by jakebrigance11 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Making us refresh the status checker every morning oughtta be against the Geneva Conventions. My 5am brain is such an optimist, but my 5:02 brain is disappointed not keen to fall back asleep.

Wish they just sent an email.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Post by subpoenacolada » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Platopus wrote:
jakebrigance11 wrote:Making us refresh the status checker every morning oughtta be against the Geneva Conventions. My 5am brain is such an optimist, but my 5:02 brain is disappointed not keen to fall back asleep.

+1 I wake up disappointed every day
+2 as fuck

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:
Platopus wrote:
jakebrigance11 wrote:Making us refresh the status checker every morning oughtta be against the Geneva Conventions. My 5am brain is such an optimist, but my 5:02 brain is disappointed not keen to fall back asleep.

+2 as fuck
+3 I just start the day on a low note now

GotLost

New

Post by GotLost » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:53 pm

andysimbi wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:
Platopus wrote:

+2 as fuck
+3 I just start the day on a low note now
+4

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 pm

x
Last edited by littlelibertine on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Don't know if anyone even remembers but what time did y'all get the status checker email?

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Mikey wrote:Don't know if anyone even remembers but what time did y'all get the status checker email?
I got mine at 8:55 AM PST, after submitting at 12:04 AM PST the day before.
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:14 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
Mikey wrote:Don't know if anyone even remembers but what time did y'all get the status checker email?
When did u submit?

You're making me feel like they left me in the dark since you got your sc the next day :( lol

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:19 pm

chandhi wrote:
MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:

personally, i am of the opinion that providing a why michigan is ALWAYS better than no why michigan, even if that means sending it later. the school is full of people who genuinely want to be here (very often choosing it over higher-ranked schools), and it's important to show that you do too. plus, it's kind of a fun essay to write, shouldn't take too much time, etc. low risk, high reward.

disclaimer: i don't actually know how admissions stuff works, this is just the vibe i get. and it worked for me! at the very least, it will make you learn more about the school and provide the adcomm with more information about you.

fun somewhat-relevant fact: i wrote part of my why michigan about a certain professor. dean z put me in the section that they teach. i went out for drinks with that professor tonight, had an absolutely wonderful time, and was reminded again and again why i'm here.
^^^sent in a Why Mich earlier today--thanks for the feedback :) It's much appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Mikey wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
When did u submit?

You're making me feel like they left me in the dark since you got your sc the next day :( lol
I submitted the 8th! But it was more the 7th at night because that’s when I was working on it haha so it took like a full day before I got it
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:45 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
Mikey wrote:
thepsychedelic wrote:
When did u submit?

I submitted the 8th! But it was more the 7th at night because that’s when I was working on it haha so it took like a full day before I got it
Oh ok! Thanks :( wonder why they hate me :( lmao

jellyjar

New

Post by jellyjar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 pm

I submitted 11/9 and didn't get status checker until 11/14--so if you're worried, it can def take a while!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 pm

jellyjar wrote:
I submitted 11/9 and didn't get status checker until 11/14--so if you're worried, it can def take a while!
haha thanks! it's just that the school I care about the most is making me feel in the dark haha, it's all good though. :mrgreen: :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pbsdotcom

New

Post by pbsdotcom » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Mikey wrote:
jellyjar wrote:
haha thanks! it's just that the school I care about the most is making me feel in the dark haha, it's all good though. :mrgreen: :lol:
I submitted 10/10 and didn’t get status checker until 10/26, it seems like Michigan takes longer sometimes for some people not sure why but don’t worry!

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Got my admissions packet today! Super cute note from Dean Z about their criminal law program. Every paragraph I read makes me even more interested in Michigan, and it's already my first choice. The 100+ Reasons You Belong booklet has me swooning.

Praying to Admissions Cat for good news soon.

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 pm

littlelibertine wrote:Got my admissions packet today! Super cute note from Dean Z about their criminal law program. Every paragraph I read makes me even more interested in Michigan, and it's already my first choice. The 100+ Reasons You Belong booklet has me swooning.

Had your status checker already gone to Accepted? If so, when? And, if you don't mind answering, what were your stats?

Congrats, though!!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 pm

littlelibertine wrote:Got my admissions packet today! Super cute note from Dean Z about their criminal law program. Every paragraph I read makes me even more interested in Michigan, and it's already my first choice. The 100+ Reasons You Belong booklet has me swooning.

I loved the 100+ reasons you belong booklet!!! <3

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”