Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your ~status~?

Accepted, attending, dancing in the streets
3%
Accepted, trying to figure out how to get more $$
16%
Accepted, waiting anxiously on my financial aid package
3%
Accepted, going to ASW 1
5%
Accepted, going to ASW 2
7%
Waiting anxiously on my acceptance
60%
Getting my apps in over winter break
1%
Applying in February just for the heck of it, will be reapplying
2%
In high school, lurking
2%

Total votes: 121

rachelac

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Post by rachelac » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Platopus wrote:Dean's scholarship. Feels good, but I was really gunning for that Darrow. A little bummed, but its really hard to complain.
Same outcome, same reaction.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:15 pm

Dean's scholarship and honestly I'm super happy! It came right after a ding from K-H program at Stanford, perfect timing!

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:23 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:
Bojack93 wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Got denied on my request for increased aid. Can't say I didn't expect it since they specifically stated they don't negotiate and I was already given $$$$ from my Dean's scholarship
Is there any conventional wisdom regarding the timing of negotiating? I've seen other threads dealing with this but they haven't gotten a ton of responses--I'm sure there will be more of a migration over the Financial Aid thread in a month or two.

Would a place like Michigan be more likely to hear you out if you attend their ASW and show genuine interest? Might they want to finish this initial review of offers and see where they stand before negotiating with anyone?

My fellow 0L's might not have insight into this, so hopefully some law school lurkers can jump in.
fwiw they told me they only increase aid when there was a much larger award given by a peer school (i.e. Michigan gave you 60k and Penn gave you a Levy). I thought they would budge since they asked me to scan and send my aid letter from UVA, but they said the difference between 150k and full tuition was not large enough to justify an increase.
"law school lurker" here. yeah i would hold off on negotiating right now. i think with it being so early, you could easily be asking for more money just to negotiate with other schools. i don't have exact data pointing to this, just a few friends' stories, but i do think michigan is more likely to bump up your scholarship if you negotiate later/attend asw/etc. i wouldn't worry about the "scholarship pot" running out - i know someone who was offered an extremely generous scholarship off the waitlist last summer.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

chandhi wrote:
Hi, do you have any grasp on how many Darrow scholarships there are, or what kind of aid do those who don’t receive the scholarship can expect (i.e. is it mainly the 120/150k Dean’s, or potentially a full tuition no stipend option too?)

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:02 pm

principalagent wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Hi, do you have any grasp on how many Darrow scholarships there are, or what kind of aid do those who don’t receive the scholarship can expect (i.e. is it mainly the 120/150k Dean’s, or potentially a full tuition no stipend option too?)
Looking at the ABA 509, seems like an average of 3 Darrows/year and 5ish full tuition (no stipend) scholarships per year. I think the 120K and 150K Dean's Scholarships are pretty common, but I know lots of folks who got smaller Dean's scholarships too!

e: I'm pretty sure the smaller ones were "Dean's Scholarships" but not 100% sure. Either way, name doesn't really matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:10 pm

So if we get a Dean’s 150K scholarship (yay, very grateful), there is zero chance of full tuition or Darrow down the road? Or do things get reallocated depending on who chooses to attend or not? Happy either way, just weighing options.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:So if we get a Dean’s 150K scholarship (yay, very grateful), there is zero chance of full tuition or Darrow down the road? Or do things get reallocated depending on who chooses to attend or not? Happy either way, just weighing options.
i would say it is unlikely, but if you are pretty sure you are going to attend, call/email/whatever right as your final decision time rolls around. tell them how much you want to attend but are worried about finances, see if they can bump it up. always worth a shot.

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Post by subpoenacolada » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

Dean’s Scholarship here as well!! Pumped!

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:48 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:
Bojack93 wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Got denied on my request for increased aid. Can't say I didn't expect it since they specifically stated they don't negotiate and I was already given $$$$ from my Dean's scholarship
Is there any conventional wisdom regarding the timing of negotiating? I've seen other threads dealing with this but they haven't gotten a ton of responses--I'm sure there will be more of a migration over the Financial Aid thread in a month or two.

Would a place like Michigan be more likely to hear you out if you attend their ASW and show genuine interest? Might they want to finish this initial review of offers and see where they stand before negotiating with anyone?

My fellow 0L's might not have insight into this, so hopefully some law school lurkers can jump in.
fwiw they told me they only increase aid when there was a much larger award given by a peer school (i.e. Michigan gave you 60k and Penn gave you a Levy). I thought they would budge since they asked me to scan and send my aid letter from UVA, but they said the difference between 150k and full tuition was not large enough to justify an increase.
Did they seem relatively open to negotiation? I thought Michigan flat out didn't negotiate...
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm

chandhi wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:So if we get a Dean’s 150K scholarship (yay, very grateful), there is zero chance of full tuition or Darrow down the road? Or do things get reallocated depending on who chooses to attend or not? Happy either way, just weighing options.
i would say it is unlikely, but if you are pretty sure you are going to attend, call/email/whatever right as your final decision time rolls around. tell them how much you want to attend but are worried about finances, see if they can bump it up. always worth a shot.
sounds like good advice. They wouldn't pull an offer or anything right?
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:01 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
chandhi wrote:
i have never heard of them pulling an offer and sincerely doubt they would. i mean... stay polite and whatnot, obviously! but you should be safe trying to negotiate

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 pm

chandhi wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
chandhi wrote:
i have never heard of them pulling an offer and sincerely doubt they would. i mean... stay polite and whatnot, obviously! but you should be safe trying to negotiate
Of course!! I'm super happy with my offer so far, but obviously being completely debt free would be an amazing boon
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:
Bojack93 wrote:

Did they seem relatively open to negotiation? I thought Michigan flat out didn't negotiate...
They seem pretty against negotiation but the office of financial aid at least asked admissions what they could do. Like I (and they) said, I wouldn't expect them to negotiate unless they low-ball you and you are sitting on a named scholarship or $$$$. Probably because Michigan spreads the $ around while UVA gives out a bunch of large scholarships (~ 40 Dillards last cycle IIRC) yet over half the students pay sticker. If I get a good vibe from ASW I may ask once more when deposits are due (or tell them the reason I'm not depositing is because of $), but I don't expect anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:22 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:
feralflamingo wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:
Bojack93 wrote:

They seem pretty against negotiation but the office of financial aid at least asked admissions what they could do. Like I (and they) said, I wouldn't expect them to negotiate unless they low-ball you and you are sitting on a named scholarship or $$$$. Probably because Michigan spreads the $ around while UVA gives out a bunch of large scholarships (~ 40 Dillards last cycle IIRC) yet over half the students pay sticker. If I get a good vibe from ASW I may ask once more when deposits are due (or tell them the reason I'm not depositing is because of $), but I don't expect anything.
That is quite a good point you have there. Congrats once again on your offers - you have such amazing options rn!
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:03 pm

I know two people were able to negotiate up to a Darrow. One interviewed and was denied. The other was not named a finalist. Both used Dillards as their bargaining chips.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:05 pm

LawTweet wrote:
I know two people were able to negotiate up to a Darrow. One interviewed and was denied. The other was not named a finalist. Both used Dillards as their bargaining chips.
Also, for what it's worth, according to the ABA disclosure they added 10 additional Darrows beyond regular replacement. In 2016 there were 9 full Darrows and this year there are 19. Maybe they had a much higher yield and have to compensate this year. Not sure...

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:36 pm

LawTweet wrote:
This is what I wanted to know - thank you! I can just only assume that some are selected for Darrows/full tuition and then decide elsewhere, and wondered if they just didn't give that $$ out, or if they considered bumping up other applicants. Good to know it may be the latter. Much appreciated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:30 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:Dean’s Scholarship here as well!! Pumped!
Do you mean the 50k/year Dean's scholarship?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:32 pm

chandhi wrote: always worth a shot.
Hey chandi have you ever heard of applicants getting either Darrow invites or major Dean's scholarships (120k-150k) in January or February? I applied late November and am nervous the money will run out before my application is read.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Hey chandi have you ever heard of applicants getting either Darrow invites or major Dean's scholarships (120k-150k) in January or February? I applied late November and am nervous the money will run out before my application is read.
i got one of the above in late january/early feb last year (after applying mid-january), and i'm p sure plenty of people got them after me as well. i would not worry at all!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:37 am

chandhi wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
i got one of the above in late january/early feb last year (after applying mid-january), and i'm p sure plenty of people got them after me as well. i would not worry at all!
Thanks for your reply! That's affirming. Did you receive your scholarship offer along with your admission?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
chandhi wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Thanks for your reply! That's affirming. Did you receive your scholarship offer along with your admission?
no, i just got super lucky and got admitted a few days before a big scholarship wave, so i got my scholarship offer like 5 days after getting admitted. i was extremely surprised by how quickly the process went for me - sending you good vibes and hoping the same for you!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:18 pm

to: michigan

if you accept me, idgaf what any other schools have to say about me. just know, u my #1 baby girl <3

love,
mikey

- sent from my iPhone

malysh

New

Post by malysh » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Mikey wrote:to: michigan

if you accept me, idgaf what any other schools have to say about me. just know, u my #1 baby girl <3

love,
mikey

- sent from my iPhone
Send this to Dean Z

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”