Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your ~status~?

Accepted, attending, dancing in the streets
3%
Accepted, trying to figure out how to get more $$
16%
Accepted, waiting anxiously on my financial aid package
3%
Accepted, going to ASW 1
5%
Accepted, going to ASW 2
7%
Waiting anxiously on my acceptance
60%
Getting my apps in over winter break
1%
Applying in February just for the heck of it, will be reapplying
2%
In high school, lurking
2%

Total votes: 121

heyduchess

Silver

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Post by heyduchess » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:39 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
aegibbang wrote:In.
Overall GPA 3.1 and LSAT 171, but for what it's worth, I left my first school, worked for 2 years, and got a 4.0+ at my second school.

You are the hope that we splitters need!
RETWEET

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:32 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
Overall GPA 3.1 and LSAT 171, but for what it's worth, I left my first school, worked for 2 years, and got a 4.0+ at my second school.

Question, does anyone see other splitters getting in and think "one less splitter seat for me" ?

Not saying I'm not happy for you Wolf, it's just making me sweat is all.

littlelibertine

Bronze

Post by littlelibertine » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Cogburn1984 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:

Question, does anyone see other splitters getting in and think "one less splitter seat for me" ?

Hadn't thought of that. nah, I usually fell MORE hopeful because it means they're taking candidates around my GPA.

I'm really sweating right now because I keep seeing splitters accepted around/after my submission date - but I also submitted a third letter a few weeks after I initially submitted my application, so is it possible my application may have been pushed back a little on acceptance of the new letter?

wolfonlawstreet

Bronze

Post by wolfonlawstreet » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:37 pm

littlelibertine wrote:
Cogburn1984 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:

Hadn't thought of that. nah, I usually fell MORE hopeful because it means they're taking candidates around my GPA.

I'm really sweating right now because I keep seeing splitters accepted around/after my submission date - but I also submitted a third letter a few weeks after I initially submitted my application, so is it possible my application may have been pushed back a little on acceptance of the new letter?

Yeah, I was just pleased to see some movement for splitters, since we tend to be the latest decisions...and happy to see Michigan giving splitter love <3 (but to be clear, I didn't get in, so no need to sweat me :wink: )
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:43 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
littlelibertine wrote:
Cogburn1984 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:

Yeah, I was just pleased to see some movement for splitters, since we tend to be the latest decisions...and happy to see Michigan giving splitter love <3 (but to be clear, I didn't get in, so no need to sweat me :wink: )
Whoops, meant aegibbang, congrats btw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CuplatBeijing

New

Post by CuplatBeijing » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Congrats to you all. I am still waiting and hoping for an offer.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:28 pm

May try and negotiate. A bit dismaying they constantly emphasize they don't "compete", but everything is negotiable right?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:May try and negotiate. A bit dismaying they constantly emphasize they don't "compete", but everything is negotiable right?
Well you’re sitting on the most direct bargaining chip available! Hard not to compete with that.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:36 pm

principalagent wrote: Well you’re sitting on the most direct bargaining chip available! Hard not to compete with that.
Haha I'm pretty sure you'll be sitting on two of them though! I was really hoping for that Darrow invite since Michigan seems like it might be a better fit for me. Definitely can't complain though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:00 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Haha I'm pretty sure you'll be sitting on two of them though!
We pray every day *prayer-emoji*

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:45 pm

principalagent wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Haha I'm pretty sure you'll be sitting on two of them though!
We pray every day *prayer-emoji*
U know that prayer emoji is actually two people high-fiveing :O

When I learned that, my mind got blown

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 am

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
littlelibertine wrote:
Cogburn1984 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:

does anyone feel like it’s worse to be a splitter with a high gpa and a lower lsat? Cause that’s me lol. I’m a few points below their median LSAT (166) but a high GPA (3.96).

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 am

LiveJustly390 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:
littlelibertine wrote:
Cogburn1984 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:

does anyone feel like it’s worse to be a splitter with a high gpa and a lower lsat? Cause that’s me lol. I’m a few points below their median LSAT (166) but a high GPA (3.96).
I may be wrong, but I feel the LSAT's always given a little more weight considering GPAs can be artificially inflated depending on where you went to school.
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 am

feralflamingo wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:
littlelibertine wrote:
Cogburn1984 wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:

I may be wrong, but I feel the LSAT's always given a little more weight considering GPAs can be artificially inflated depending on where you went to school.
That’s how I feel too, but I also thought the LSAC transcript report was supposed to help mitigate that a bit since it accounts for grade inflation, right?

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

thepsychedelic wrote:
Teacher wrote:
Mikey wrote:
guppies16 wrote:Kind of late to the game, but how long after you submitted did you all receive your status checker info? Thanks!
exactly a week
And how long did it take people to go complete?
took me exactly 2 weeks
Just went complete today, so me too!

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 am

Got denied on my request for increased aid. Can't say I didn't expect it since they specifically stated they don't negotiate and I was already given $$$$ from my Dean's scholarship

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:57 am

OakBrook2021 wrote:Got denied on my request for increased aid. Can't say I didn't expect it since they specifically stated they don't negotiate and I was already given $$$$ from my Dean's scholarship
Sorry to hear that but at least you're still sitting solid with the Dean's and the Dillard :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:00 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Got denied on my request for increased aid. Can't say I didn't expect it since they specifically stated they don't negotiate and I was already given $$$$ from my Dean's scholarship
Are you leaning more towards the Dilly? I wouldn't blame you if you are! Either way you have solid options already! :)

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Mikey wrote: Are you leaning more towards the Dilly? I wouldn't blame you if you are! Either way you have solid options already! :)
Yes, most definitely. I'll visit both but Idk if I can justify the 40-50k difference just on personal preference or perceived QOL. Plus Michigan is ridiculously cold lol

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:20 pm

TLS wrote:
Sorry to hear that but at least you're still sitting solid with the Dean's and the Dillard :lol:
Yeah not complaining by any means. If I could trade it for a Darrow I probably would, but unfortunately that's not how this works

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Is there any conventional wisdom regarding the timing of negotiating? I've seen other threads dealing with this but they haven't gotten a ton of responses--I'm sure there will be more of a migration over the Financial Aid thread in a month or two.

Would a place like Michigan be more likely to hear you out if you attend their ASW and show genuine interest? Might they want to finish this initial review of offers and see where they stand before negotiating with anyone?

My fellow 0L's might not have insight into this, so hopefully some law school lurkers can jump in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Bojack93 wrote:
Is there any conventional wisdom regarding the timing of negotiating? I've seen other threads dealing with this but they haven't gotten a ton of responses--I'm sure there will be more of a migration over the Financial Aid thread in a month or two.

Would a place like Michigan be more likely to hear you out if you attend their ASW and show genuine interest? Might they want to finish this initial review of offers and see where they stand before negotiating with anyone?

My fellow 0L's might not have insight into this, so hopefully some law school lurkers can jump in.
fwiw they told me they only increase aid when there was a much larger award given by a peer school (i.e. Michigan gave you 60k and Penn gave you a Levy). I thought they would budge since they asked me to scan and send my aid letter from UVA, but they said the difference between 150k and full tuition was not large enough to justify an increase.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Platopus wrote:Dean's scholarship. Feels good, but I was really gunning for that Darrow. A little bummed, but its really hard to complain.
still a great outcome, congrats! :)

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”