SMU Dedman School of Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tx_1427

New

Re: SMU Dedman School of Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by tx_1427 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 pm

Anyone hear on scholarships?

tony_dirko

New

Post by tony_dirko » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 pm

tx_1427 wrote:Anyone hear on scholarships?
Nope. They're taking their sweet damn time with it.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:33 pm

tony_dirko wrote:
You can get used to that. A week into classes and I only have one grade from the fall.

alhookem2020

New

Post by alhookem2020 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:
You can get used to that. A week into classes and I only have one grade from the fall.
That's not a ringing endorsement of the school ha

tony_dirko

New

Post by tony_dirko » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:41 pm

alhookem2020 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:
Yeah... I'm strongly considering going to SMU (assuming I get rejected from UT) and this isn't making me feel very good about that

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

tony_dirko wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:
Yeah... I'm strongly considering going to SMU (assuming I get rejected from UT) and this isn't making me feel very good about that

If it matters, I'm a 3L. So I don't know if the 1L's who might need them for summer positions have them already (can't remember when we got ours as 1L's).

tony_dirko

New

Post by tony_dirko » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:12 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:

If it matters, I'm a 3L. So I don't know if the 1L's who might need them for summer positions have them already (can't remember when we got ours as 1L's).
Ok being a 3L, would you recommend SMU to others?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:29 pm

tony_dirko wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:
alhookem2020 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:

Ok being a 3L, would you recommend SMU to others?
Depends on what your goals are.

If you're big law or bust, I'd say no. You'd be much better off at UT or the T14. SMU places a decent number in big law every year (mostly in Dallas, but I know a few going to Houston, San Antonio, etc.) but not enough that I'd put all my eggs in that basket. I don't know the exact number, but I'd guess if you're in the top quarter you have a decent shot. I would also note that the location is mostly self-selection - people come here (generally) because they want to practice in Dallas. If they want to be in Houston, they would've gone to UH.

But if your goal is to practice in Dallas and you can find a way to pay for it (scholarship, rich parents, you married into money, don't care about your loans because you plan on doing public interest, whatever), it's a good place to be. For example, I knew what I wanted to do, ran the numbers based on my scholarship offer, and thought my salary coming out would be enough to pay off my loans. Both my loans and salary are more or less what I anticipated after doing my homework, so I'm happy with it. It's not an overly competitive atmosphere and the professors know their stuff. SMU has a very good reputation in Dallas and Ft. Worth, and while I wouldn't base a decision off that, I do think it's a non-neglible factor in its favor.

Edit - grammar.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
tony_dirko wrote:
Nice to see some things never change.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tony_dirko

New

Post by tony_dirko » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm

If they're going to hold true to mailing out scholarship offers by the end of January, I have to assume that they will post offers on status checkers by the end of this week...

Delta887

New

Post by Delta887 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:04 pm

tony_dirko wrote:If they're going to hold true to mailing out scholarship offers by the end of January, I have to assume that they will post offers on status checkers by the end of this week...
I hope you’re right!

Delta887

New

Post by Delta887 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:09 pm

While we wait for the scholarship information to be released, does anyone have any suggestions on things to do or see while visiting SMU from out of state? I am going to visit next week and am registered for a tour in the morning and am meeting with professors in the afternoon. Otherwise, I am looking for places to see/do/eat/drink in the SMU/highland park area. Thanks in advance!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Delta887 wrote:While we wait for the scholarship information to be released, does anyone have any suggestions on things to do or see while visiting SMU from out of state? I am going to visit next week and am registered for a tour in the morning and am meeting with professors in the afternoon. Otherwise, I am looking for places to see/do/eat/drink in the SMU/highland park area. Thanks in advance!
Hopdoddy's in Preston Center is usually pretty top-notch. So is Snuffers (on Greenville, for the cheese fries), Dodie's (on Greenville, for the Cajun food - fried shrimp), and Blue Goose (Mexican food). Ginger Man in Uptown has a great beer selection.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tx_1427

New

Post by tx_1427 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Last edited by tx_1427 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Contango

New

Post by Contango » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Delta887 wrote:While we wait for the scholarship information to be released, does anyone have any suggestions on things to do or see while visiting SMU from out of state? I am going to visit next week and am registered for a tour in the morning and am meeting with professors in the afternoon. Otherwise, I am looking for places to see/do/eat/drink in the SMU/highland park area. Thanks in advance!
What type of scene are you into? Discontented hipsters who wish they lived in Austin? There's a neighborhood for that. Monied wanna-be hipsters? There's a neighborhood for that. Yuppies mixed in with SMU's finest fratstars? There's a neighborhood for that. Also, there are plenty of spots (like the Hopdoddy at Preston Center as previously mentiond) in Highland Park/Preston Hollow/North Dallas where the primary clientele is a general mixture of families and other middle aged folks.

As for attractions, there's the standard Sixth Floor Museum at the old book depository, or you could tour the George W. Bush Presidential Library, it's certainly close to the law school.

Long story short you should go to Milo Butterfingers. kidding

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Contango wrote:
What type of scene are you into? Discontented hipsters who wish they lived in Austin? Then go to Deep EllumThere's a neighborhood for that. Monied wanna-be hipsters? Then go to Lower Greenville/Knox Henderson There's a neighborhood for that. Yuppies mixed in with SMU's finest fratstars? Then go to Uptown, or pretty much anywhere else. There's a neighborhood for that. Also, there are plenty of spots (like the Hopdoddy at Preston Center as previously mentiond) in Highland Park/Preston Hollow/North Dallas where the primary clientele is a general mixture of families and other middle aged folks.

As for attractions, there's the standard Sixth Floor Museum at the old book depository, or you could tour the George W. Bush Presidential Library, it's certainly close to the law school.

Long story short you should go to Milo Butterfingers. kidding

Texasdoggo

New

Post by Texasdoggo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Anyone hear about scholarships yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ATXStudent

New

Post by ATXStudent » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 pm

Texasdoggo wrote:Anyone hear about scholarships yet?
Nope

tx_1427

New

Post by tx_1427 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Texasdoggo wrote:Anyone hear about scholarships yet?
My scholarship is posted in the status checker as of today.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:41 am

Realized I hadn't posted here yet. Current 2L, happy to answer any questions!

lawgirl27

New

Post by lawgirl27 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Has anyone heard on a decision who submitted an application for regular decision? When do they typically render decisions for this group? Also, does anyone know when early admissions had their deadline to submit a deposit to save a seat?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DedmanTX

New

Post by DedmanTX » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am

PatriotP74 wrote:Realized I hadn't posted here yet. Current 2L, happy to answer any questions!
Same as well

KoozBall

New

Post by KoozBall » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:08 pm

DedmanTX wrote:
PatriotP74 wrote:Realized I hadn't posted here yet. Current 2L, happy to answer any questions!
Same as well
Thanks for reaching out! How do y'all feel about SMU? Any regrets in going there over other choices? I've deposited there and am looking forward to it but I think I'm experiencing some "buyer's remorse." I do however think that could just be a natural reaction to making a final decision and withdrawing from other schools.

PatriotP74

Silver

Post by PatriotP74 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:59 pm

KoozBall wrote:
DedmanTX wrote:
Same as well
Thanks for reaching out! How do y'all feel about SMU? Any regrets in going there over other choices? I've deposited there and am looking forward to it but I think I'm experiencing some "buyer's remorse." I do however think that could just be a natural reaction to making a final decision and withdrawing from other schools.

No ragrets haha

But really, I don't have any regrets about SMU per se. On a personal level as someone who has been in north Texas my whole life I do have moments when I wish I had taken an offer in another part of the country, but there are more personal reasons behind that, nothing to do with SMU.

I will say I do have my regrets about law school in general, if i could go back I cant say for sure if I would choose to go(I probably would though, I would just spend more time thinking about it likely.) So be sure you are 100% committed to law and know the next 3 years will be brutal. Make sure you have ways to deal with the immense stress etc. Also do factor in your earning ability without law school and how much debt you will be taking on. I am lucky enough that I will come out debt free so my only thing was the forgone income which helps. Expect fully to come out of law school making 50-60k and ask yourself if you will be happy with that because that IS the average no matter what anyone else tells you.

If you are having to take out loans for the entire 3 years I would advise not going and re taking the LSAT etc for more scholarship money, but that goes for almost any law school.

SMU is a great school, great staff, great professors(for the most part), and great career services office (IMO, others may disagree). You'll be given mentors your first year and sent to mandatory sessions with your "Inn". But don't be afraid to reach out to others. Everyone is friendly for the most part, not near as cutthroat type atmosphere like a UT or Harvard type school.

APE285

New

Post by APE285 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Any news from the waitlisted corps? :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”