Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
usersomethingname

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by usersomethingname » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:52 am

Anyone on here going to ASD in March? St. Patricks' Day falls on that weekend, so I might stay longer than Friday and explore the city

ToddCraines

New

Post by ToddCraines » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 am

Did anyone else submit a Merit Scholars Application? Total shot in the dark for me but here's to hope!

manchesterengland

New

Post by manchesterengland » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 am

ToddCraines wrote:Did anyone else submit a Merit Scholars Application? Total shot in the dark for me but here's to hope!
Submitted mine late yesterday! It definitely would be nice. :-D

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I've been complete since early November and interviewed right after Thanksgiving.

I've been ghosted :(

usersomethingname

New

Post by usersomethingname » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:36 pm

HEADS UP: Beware of the person that is in charge of flights for admitted students day (initialed RW). In order to get reimbursed, you have to book a flight through him- he's an agent). He will try to assign you to an expensive flight. Then he'll try to make it seem like the only way he can bring your flight down is if you do a connecting flight- NOT TRUE. When he first responds with a bogusly high price, tell him that you are willing to stretch your departure time i.e. "I am willing to depart from xyz airport to Nashville on March 15 anytime from 12:00pm - 5pm) and leave Nashville on March 17 anytime from 10:00am-3:00pm." - Also, he'll try and be witty by saying something along the lines of "Vanderbilt will reimburse up to $400, and I found a flight for $500." Tell him that you are looking for a flight that ranges from $300-$400, (just bc Vandy will reimburse up to 400, does not mean that 400 should be the starting point. These agents will make it seem like it is.. Gets me angry bc they'll only find flights higher than that starting point). If you want, try to emphasize that you will drive or take a bus if he can't find any in that range (I'm assuming he gets a cut of the price range so he'll then give you a more reasonable ticket). Also be sure to google the average cost of a round trip from your airport, so you can get an estimate of how much you should be paying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usersomethingname

New

Post by usersomethingname » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:44 pm

usersomethingname wrote:HEADS UP: Beware of the person that is in charge of flights for admitted students day (initialed RW). In order to get reimbursed, you have to book a flight through him- he's an agent). He will try to assign you to an expensive flight. Then he'll try to make it seem like the only way he can bring your flight down is if you do a connecting flight- NOT TRUE. When he first responds with a bogusly high price, tell him that you are willing to stretch your departure time i.e. "I am willing to depart from xyz airport to Nashville on March 15 anytime from 12:00pm - 5pm) and leave Nashville on March 17 anytime from 10:00am-3:00pm." - Also, he'll try and be witty by saying something along the lines of "Vanderbilt will reimburse up to $400, and I found a flight for $500." Tell him that you are looking for a flight that ranges from $300-$400, (just bc Vandy will reimburse up to 400, does not mean that 400 should be the starting point. These agents will make it seem like it is.. Gets me angry bc they'll only find flights higher than that starting point). If you want, try to emphasize that you will drive or take a bus if he can't find any in that range (I'm assuming he gets a cut of the price range so he'll then give you a more reasonable ticket). Also be sure to google the average cost of a round trip from your airport, so you can get an estimate of how much you should be paying.
When you fill out the initial form to be contact by Vanderbilt's agent, they make you mark specific departure times and your preferred airline. For this reason, once the agent emails you, it is important to tell him that you have flexibility in airline company and in departure/arrival time. Interestingly enough, when I showed him that I was serious about not wanting to purchase a ticket that exceeds $400, he "all of a sudden" found a ***$300 cheaper*** flight that was IN CLOSER ALIGNMENT with my original, specific preference time than with my flexibility time range AND it was with the airline that I desired. MOREOVER, it was a non-stop flight. Be wise as snakes fellow prospective students.

robin acrewood

New

Post by robin acrewood » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:06 am

According to reddit, yesterday there was a little movement for December applicants. I will just continue my sad existence as an October ghost...

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

For those of us who applied for the Vanderbilt Law Scholars Awards:

I called the financial aid office to see what their plans are for interviews - i.e, if they’ll be continuing last years pattern with interviews taking place during the first ASW. They said they’re actually thinking they’ll be doing it earlier this year! However, it does sound like they’ll expect the interviews to be in person, which is a little nerve wracking for me since I work full time and it might be difficult to just fly out randomly. She said that you could potentially interview during the first ASW but it sounded like they’d want it done earlier, or that they may have already given out some of the Awards by then. Could anyone else look into that, and whether they’d be willing to do Skype interviews even if you’re not an international student? I would but I’m worried about seeming pushy for asking all these questions lol.

lawdaddy1

New

Post by lawdaddy1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm

It seems that if they are going to demand an in person interview that they would reimburse for travel.
That's a lot of cost to take a flyer on a potential scholly.....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 pm

LiveJustly390 wrote:
lawdaddy1 wrote:It seems that if they are going to demand an in person interview that they would reimburse for travel.
Pretty sure I read on last year's thread that people just did phone interviews..... so don't stress about it

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Eleven wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:
lawdaddy1 wrote:It seems that if they are going to demand an in person interview that they would reimburse for travel.
Pretty sure I read on last year's thread that people just did phone interviews..... so don't stress about it
Oh good haha. I’m so freaked about all of this. I asked work about possibly needing two weekends off (with Thursday and Friday) and they looked at me like I grew three heads. Having another potential weekend away would be an issue, apparently :|

Lawschooolapplicant

New

Post by Lawschooolapplicant » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 pm

usersomethingname wrote:
usersomethingname wrote:HEADS UP: Beware of the person that is in charge of flights for admitted students day (initialed RW). In order to get reimbursed, you have to book a flight through him- he's an agent). He will try to assign you to an expensive flight. Then he'll try to make it seem like the only way he can bring your flight down is if you do a connecting flight- NOT TRUE. When he first responds with a bogusly high price, tell him that you are willing to stretch your departure time i.e. "I am willing to depart from xyz airport to Nashville on March 15 anytime from 12:00pm - 5pm) and leave Nashville on March 17 anytime from 10:00am-3:00pm." - Also, he'll try and be witty by saying something along the lines of "Vanderbilt will reimburse up to $400, and I found a flight for $500." Tell him that you are looking for a flight that ranges from $300-$400, (just bc Vandy will reimburse up to 400, does not mean that 400 should be the starting point. These agents will make it seem like it is.. Gets me angry bc they'll only find flights higher than that starting point). If you want, try to emphasize that you will drive or take a bus if he can't find any in that range (I'm assuming he gets a cut of the price range so he'll then give you a more reasonable ticket). Also be sure to google the average cost of a round trip from your airport, so you can get an estimate of how much you should be paying.
When you fill out the initial form to be contact by Vanderbilt's agent, they make you mark specific departure times and your preferred airline. For this reason, once the agent emails you, it is important to tell him that you have flexibility in airline company and in departure/arrival time. Interestingly enough, when I showed him that I was serious about not wanting to purchase a ticket that exceeds $400, he "all of a sudden" found a ***$300 cheaper*** flight that was IN CLOSER ALIGNMENT with my original, specific preference time than with my flexibility time range AND it was with the airline that I desired. MOREOVER, it was a non-stop flight. Be wise as snakes fellow prospective students.
I went back and forth with the agent a couple times, and eventually just sent a screenshot of a flight I had found that I wanted and they booked it- may take a little back and forth, but you should be able to get the flights you want

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 pm

LiveJustly390 wrote:For those of us who applied for the Vanderbilt Law Scholars Awards:

I called the financial aid office to see what their plans are for interviews - i.e, if they’ll be continuing last years pattern with interviews taking place during the first ASW. They said they’re actually thinking they’ll be doing it earlier this year! However, it does sound like they’ll expect the interviews to be in person, which is a little nerve wracking for me since I work full time and it might be difficult to just fly out randomly. She said that you could potentially interview during the first ASW but it sounded like they’d want it done earlier, or that they may have already given out some of the Awards by then. Could anyone else look into that, and whether they’d be willing to do Skype interviews even if you’re not an international student? I would but I’m worried about seeming pushy for asking all these questions lol.
I really hope we can do Skype interviews or something... I was planning to come to Vandy for the second ASW and don't really want to make two trips to Nashville, even though it's only a five hour drive.

edit: If I can somehow miraculously get an interview lol
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LiveJustly390

New

Post by LiveJustly390 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
LiveJustly390 wrote:For those of us who applied for the Vanderbilt Law Scholars Awards:

I really hope we can do Skype interviews or something... I was planning to come to Vandy for the second ASW and don't really want to make two trips to Nashville, even though it's only a five hour drive.

^rt - I felt almost arrogant asking about the info lol I was like I mean on the off chance I get an interview request (it’s not likely for me if they’re mainly looking at LSAT)
And yeah mine would be flights. And more time off work.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

LiveJustly390 wrote:
^rt - I felt almost arrogant asking about the info lol I was like I mean on the off chance I get an interview request (it’s not likely for me if they’re mainly looking at LSAT)
And yeah mine would be flights. And more time off work.
Yeah, I've already awkwardly asked off for Thursday/Friday for three different ASWs so I don't want to go back and be like "Also, more time off please."

usersomethingname

New

Post by usersomethingname » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:

Where will you be driving from that's five hours?

usersomethingname

New

Post by usersomethingname » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Lawschooolapplicant wrote:
usersomethingname wrote:
I went back and forth with the agent a couple times, and eventually just sent a screenshot of a flight I had found that I wanted and they booked it- may take a little back and forth, but you should be able to get the flights you want
Did you pay the exact amount that you found online or a little more?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

usersomethingname wrote:
Athens, Georgia
I think the drive is something like 4 hours and 45 mins or so.

usersomethingname

New

Post by usersomethingname » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
usersomethingname wrote:
Athens, Georgia
I think the drive is something like 4 hours and 45 mins or so.
Last edited by usersomethingname on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawschooolapplicant

New

Post by Lawschooolapplicant » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pm

usersomethingname wrote:
usersomethingname wrote:
Same as online! So do your due diligence before talking to the agent and you should be fine

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

usersomethingname wrote:
usersomethingname wrote:
Same as online! So do your due diligence before talking to the agent and you should be fine
Retweet! For those who haven't filled out the form yet, I found the exact flight that I wanted, put in the airline, and the exact time of the flight and they responded within an hour or two with the correct itinerary. Just do a quick search on Kayak and Southwest to see what you should be paying!

It may take the "travel agent" part out of being a travel agent but 15 minutes is a small price to pay for a great flight (especially for a broke bish like myself)

kelsymshay

New

Post by kelsymshay » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Eleven wrote:What do we think the effect of not having interviewed is on an applicant? I didn't have an LSAT score until December to even know if I would have a legitimate application.
I didn't interview, nor did I write a "Why Vanderbilt" and got accepted middle of December. I applied late October!

nina2018

New

Post by nina2018 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:59 pm

A little concerned because I interviewed 12/18 and that is supposed to "expedite" the process, but still have heard nothing?

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Wanted to throw my name in the hat for those November applicants who've been strangely ghosted. GPA~median, LSAT>75th. Submitted 11/8, complete 11/9, interviewed 12/1.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”