Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Pewpew
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Pewpew » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Scheduled my interview! :D

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:17 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Current 1L here, feel free to ask any questions!

- Someone from the Northeast who, this time last year, couldn't think about coming to Vandy but ended up loving everything about it here.


Thanks so much for being open to questions! I'm also from the northeast (Boston), and I'm really hoping to practice in the south, so Vandy is definitely a top choice for me. Do you have any advice for splitters? I've drafted a "why Vandy" essay and plan on interviewing, but of course I'm looking for any and all ways to improve my chances and demonstrate my ability to them!

Thanks in advance!


No problem at all! I think you have a pretty solid gameplan so far! I think the only thing I can add is that make them know absolutely how much you want to come to Vandy as they really want people that actually want to be here. I also think that visiting Vandy (if you can) can absolutely help you show how serious you are in your interest.

From my experience here so far, I think Vandy looks for a specific and common characteristic in the student body: people that take their work seriously BUT not themselves seriously. I think 95% of the people i've met here are the non-gunner types that want to enjoy law school while they're here. Definitely show that during your interview!

emilyLl
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby emilyLl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Interviewed over the weekend. VERY casual/relaxed, I wore business attire and my interviewer was in jeans. He asked me 3 or 4 questions from my resume, and then I asked him questions about his experience and we chatted generally about the culture at Vandy for the rest of the time. Lasted exactly an hour.

hamshotfirst
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby hamshotfirst » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
hamshotfirst wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Current 1L here, feel free to ask any questions!

- Someone from the Northeast who, this time last year, couldn't think about coming to Vandy but ended up loving everything about it here.


Thanks so much for being open to questions! I'm also from the northeast (Boston), and I'm really hoping to practice in the south, so Vandy is definitely a top choice for me. Do you have any advice for splitters? I've drafted a "why Vandy" essay and plan on interviewing, but of course I'm looking for any and all ways to improve my chances and demonstrate my ability to them!

Thanks in advance!


No problem at all! I think you have a pretty solid gameplan so far! I think the only thing I can add is that make them know absolutely how much you want to come to Vandy as they really want people that actually want to be here. I also think that visiting Vandy (if you can) can absolutely help you show how serious you are in your interest.

From my experience here so far, I think Vandy looks for a specific and common characteristic in the student body: people that take their work seriously BUT not themselves seriously. I think 95% of the people i've met here are the non-gunner types that want to enjoy law school while they're here. Definitely show that during your interview!


Thanks so much for the reply! This is really helpful, especially making it known that I don't take myself so seriously. I definitely get that vibe from everything I've read about Vandy, so it's great to know that's something they foster!

User avatar
Jack_Kelly
Posts: 806
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am

Oh god, they see my pathetic CV before the interview :|

seanbodonovan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby seanbodonovan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Checking in. I'm interviewing tomorrow in Atlanta.

dinizdeoliveira
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dinizdeoliveira » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:29 pm

Checking in! Went complete last Friday and just had my online interview. It was very relaxed, the admissons officer who interviewed me was a delight.

Quick question: I may be going nuts, but do we have to report that the interview did in fact happen to the admissions office? I could have sworn that I read something about emailing Vanderbilt once it was done, but maybe I am mixing things up since I can no longer find this requirement on the website.

Thanks!

seanbodonovan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby seanbodonovan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 pm

dinizdeoliveira wrote:Checking in! Went complete last Friday and just had my online interview. It was very relaxed, the admissons officer who interviewed me was a delight.

Quick question: I may be going nuts, but do we have to report that the interview did in fact happen to the admissions office? I could have sworn that I read something about emailing Vanderbilt once it was done, but maybe I am mixing things up since I can no longer find this requirement on the website.

Thanks!


I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do anything. The interviewer will confirm that the interview has taken place.

dinizdeoliveira
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:00 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dinizdeoliveira » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:
dinizdeoliveira wrote:Checking in! Went complete last Friday and just had my online interview. It was very relaxed, the admissons officer who interviewed me was a delight.

Quick question: I may be going nuts, but do we have to report that the interview did in fact happen to the admissions office? I could have sworn that I read something about emailing Vanderbilt once it was done, but maybe I am mixing things up since I can no longer find this requirement on the website.

Thanks!


I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do anything. The interviewer will confirm that the interview has taken place.


Yeah, it seems that way as per the website. I guess I mistook it for something else. Thanks!

User avatar
Pewpew
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Pewpew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Anyone have their alumni interview yet? How was it? Mine is soon! :o

doublepug
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby doublepug » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Pewpew wrote:Anyone have their alumni interview yet? How was it? Mine is soon! :o


I had mine last week at a coffee shop! it was very casual and more the alumn talking up the school and asking why law and why Vandy. I did get asked how i handled a problem/challenging situation so maybe prepare that?
it last 45 min- 1 hour

User avatar
Pewpew
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Pewpew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Thank you. Appreciate your insight.

seanbodonovan
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby seanbodonovan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 pm

Pewpew wrote:Anyone have their alumni interview yet? How was it? Mine is soon! :o


I had mine this Sunday. It was just an informal conversation. No need to stress it. My interviewer shared her personal experience and answered all my questions for me. Just make sure you're ready to talk about why you want to go to Vanderbilt Law.

laowhynot109
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby laowhynot109 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Did anyone write a Why Vandy essay? Or is it safe to just use the interview to express your interest?

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 am

laowhynot109 wrote:Did anyone write a Why Vandy essay? Or is it safe to just use the interview to express your interest?


But since everyone interviews, I'm sure you'll be able to stand out without writing a "Why vandy!"

dietcoked
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dietcoked » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am

Is the general consensus that, if possible, an off-campus interview is better than an online interview or does it not matter?

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:21 am

Checking in!

User avatar
DistrictDisaster
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby DistrictDisaster » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Checking in too!!

King of the North
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby King of the North » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Jumping the gun here. Taking in Dec. and Vandy is my top choice unless I blow the LSAT out of the water. GPA is a 3.5. I'm not technically an URM (Middle Eastern but they categorize us as Caucasian). Hoping a diversity statement will help me stand out as a minority, as well as my 2 years of experience at a big law firm here in Nashville with plenty of Vandy alums. Hoping I have a good shot with around a 168.

doublepug
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby doublepug » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm

has anyone had their status checker change after their interview? mine still just says complete and interview was last week

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 3244
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby The Abyss » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 pm

doublepug wrote:has anyone had their status checker change after their interview? mine still just says complete and interview was last week


IIRC it won't change until a decision is made.

Also, current 2L here. Feel free to pm me questions or tag me in this thread with a question.

Good luck y'all!

arklaw13
Posts: 1872
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 pm

dietcoked wrote:Is the general consensus that, if possible, an off-campus interview is better than an online interview or does it not matter?


You mean doing an in-person interview vs. Skype? I do alumni interviews, and at least from my perspective it doesn't matter.

User avatar
Slippin' Jimmy
Posts: 737
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Did my in person alumni interview earlier this week, was very relaxed and enjoyable!

User avatar
Pewpew
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Pewpew » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am

Has anyone who has already interviewed got an email yet about being under review? When does Vandy release its first set of decisions. Anxiously waiting... :P

EDIT: "In general, decisions on files completed and submitted for review in September and October are normally rendered from December through January." Seems so far away ahh!

emilyLl
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby emilyLl » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am

Pewpew wrote:Has anyone who has already interviewed got an email yet about being under review? When does Vandy release its first set of decisions. Anxiously waiting... :P

EDIT: "In general, decisions on files completed and submitted for review in September and October are normally rendered from December through January." Seems so far away ahh!


I believe last year there were acceptances in November, and my alumni interviewer also alluded to November as when some decisions will be ready.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], mariposatraicionera8 and 3 guests