Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seanbodonovan

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by seanbodonovan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 pm

So, my status checker hasn't changed since my application went complete on 9/6, but I just got an e-mail from admissions inviting me to apply to the joint J.D. / Ph.D. in Law & Economics. I'm going to be optimistic and take it as a good sign.

atlantic92

New

Post by atlantic92 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:52 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:So, my status checker hasn't changed since my application went complete on 9/6, but I just got an e-mail from admissions inviting me to apply to the joint J.D. / Ph.D. in Law & Economics. I'm going to be optimistic and take it as a good sign.
I just got this email too, and my status has been stuck on application complete since 10/30. Anybody have any idea if this is a positive development?

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:56 pm

atlantic92 wrote:
seanbodonovan wrote:So, my status checker hasn't changed since my application went complete on 9/6, but I just got an e-mail from admissions inviting me to apply to the joint J.D. / Ph.D. in Law & Economics. I'm going to be optimistic and take it as a good sign.
I just got this email too, and my status has been stuck on application complete since 10/30. Anybody have any idea if this is a positive development?
Realistically, it looks like they sent it to every J.D. applicant with an undergraduate major in Economics, Political Science, Mathematics, or Statistics. My hope is that they would not have sent it to us if we were already dinged, though.

ShakeAndBake

New

Post by ShakeAndBake » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:00 pm

That Econ phd email was such a tease for a second. Saw vls in my email and got really pumped, and then super disappointed.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:03 pm

ShakeAndBake wrote:That Econ phd email was such a tease for a second. Saw vls in my email and got really pumped, and then super disappointed.
Same. I also don't think that it is a sign of anything. It has an Apply Now button on the bottom. Not to dampen anyone's spirit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:40 pm

I’ve already been admitted and majored in Political Science and didn’t get the email. I don’t think it’s an indication of acceptance because if it were, it seems like people who have already been accepted would have received it too.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 pm

I have been accepted and did receive the same email, just for reference.

cardboard0917

New

Post by cardboard0917 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 pm

I would say that the email means nothing. I haven't even applied yet and I got it.
Last edited by cardboard0917 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

lockstockmcgee

New

Post by lockstockmcgee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Got accepted via email this afternoon! Couldn't be more excited!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Congrats. For those accepted in the last week, was there any movement on your status checker beforehand, or just an email?

lockstockmcgee

New

Post by lockstockmcgee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

No movement whatsoever. It stayed "application complete" until this afternoon. When I got the admit email, only then did I see the status change to "decision mailed".

bas1

New

Post by bas1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:43 pm

In today as well!

lillelord

New

Post by lillelord » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:52 am

lockstockmcgee wrote:No movement whatsoever. It stayed "application complete" until this afternoon. When I got the admit email, only then did I see the status change to "decision mailed".
congrats- when did you go complete/do the interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lockstockmcgee

New

Post by lockstockmcgee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 am

lillelord wrote:
lockstockmcgee wrote:No movement whatsoever. It stayed "application complete" until this afternoon. When I got the admit email, only then did I see the status change to "decision mailed".
congrats- when did you go complete/do the interview?
I had my interview in late September and I went complete towards the end of October- I think October 23 give or take a couple days.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 pm

In-person, off-campus interview tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

ohio-paa-amager

New

Post by ohio-paa-amager » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:46 am

It seems most people here interviewed before their application went complete but mine had been complete for about 2 weeks before my interview. Any idea how long I can expect to wait before hearing back? My interviewer said he would send in his notes that same day.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:51 am

ohio-paa-amager wrote:It seems most people here interviewed before their application went complete but mine had been complete for about 2 weeks before my interview. Any idea how long I can expect to wait before hearing back? My interviewer said he would send in his notes that same day.
My application was the same way. I was in the first round of admits and probably waited about 3 weeks to hear back. My status checker never updated to reflect the interview completion. Hope that helps!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:10 pm

After doing some reflecting (and seeing other horror stories on TLS), I think I'll go ahead and speak on this.

I had my alumni interview about 3 weeks ago, and it was absolutely awful. I left more discouraged than anything and actually cried on the way home.

I'll be graduating at 20, and my interviewer used this (something I consider an accomplishment) as a talking point to encourage me to take a year off/seek lower ranked schools. He talked about how "our paths in life" are different than we expect, and told me that my age would be a disadvantage. He then went on to ask if I had applied to my local school (ranked in the 50's) and told me that if stay here, I could possibly work for ___ or ___ (the two African Americans he could think of).

I have since been able to compartmentalize this experience, and I'm still looking forward to a great cycle. It's unfortunate that my interview was my only experience with Vandy, though. There's a lot more I could say, but....yeah. :roll:

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 pm

CT6 wrote:After doing some reflecting (and seeing other horror stories on TLS), I think I'll go ahead and speak on this.

I had my alumni interview about 3 weeks ago, and it was absolutely awful. I left more discouraged than anything and actually cried on the way home.

I'll be graduating at 20, and my interviewer used this (something I consider an accomplishment) as a talking point to encourage me to take a year off/seek lower ranked schools. He talked about how "our paths in life" are different than we expect, and told me that my age would be a disadvantage. He then went on to ask if I had applied to my local school (ranked in the 50's) and told me that if stay here, I could possibly work for ___ or ___ (the two African Americans he could think of).

I have since been able to compartmentalize this experience, and I'm still looking forward to a great cycle. It's unfortunate that my interview was my only experience with Vandy, though. There's a lot more I could say, but....yeah. :roll:
Sorry to hear your interview experience was so bad. I wouldn't take what he said so personally. I had a really great interview with my alumni representative, and Vanderbilt has been nothing but helpful throughout the process. Applying to law schools is pretty number based, so regardless of what he said, if your numbers are pretty good, you shouldn't worry so much. Stay strong and keep your head up! So many great schools.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:12 pm

CT6 wrote:After doing some reflecting (and seeing other horror stories on TLS), I think I'll go ahead and speak on this.

Graduating at 20 is absolutely an accomplishment that you should be proud of. However, I don't think your interviewer is wrong to say that applying at 20 puts you at a disadvantage. I don't know you or your resume, but it seems more and more schools are looking for applicants with more work and life experience. It doesn't mean anything about you as a person. This also doesn't mean that you won't get into great law schools (including Vanderbilt) - it's more of a commentary on averages. The average K-JD (especially early graduates) has an uphill battle in terms of being "diverse" with life and work experience compared to older candidates.

I had a high-achieving friend in college who graduated a year early at 21. He had applied to a number of graduate masters programs his final year of school and was rejected from them all.

I wouldn't view your interviewer as trying to do anything other than nurture. Many people believe the average 20/21 year old would benefit from a few years of real-world experience before pursuing a professional degree. Most MBA programs, for example, require applicants to have at least two years of work experience before applying.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:39 am

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had a less-than-stellar interview experience. The lawyer I interviewed with was a very nice guy, but rescheduled the meeting twice (both times very last minute), and then clearly had forgotten about the interview when I showed up. During the interview, he answered his phone, sent an email via voice dictation, and told me that I should look into a local TTT school (a school that I know for a fact has GARBAGE employment stats). He seemed like a good guy, and gave me his card and said to let him know if I'm looking for an internship later in my law school career, but I still came away from the interview feeling very brushed off.

BUT, I'm hoping that I did well enough on the Dec LSAT that none of this will be a factor, and I'm sure you're numbers are good enough for your interview to not be a factor too!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dybbuk

New

Post by Dybbuk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to worry. I too went complete before I had my interview. I interviewed in the middle of November, and my interviewer was lovely and seemed very positive about me. Now half a month of being ghosted is starting to strain me. :|

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Dybbuk wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm starting to worry. I too went complete before I had my interview. I interviewed in the middle of November, and my interviewer was lovely and seemed very positive about me. Now half a month of being ghosted is starting to strain me. :|
I'll hop in that boat. I went complete on 10/14, interviewed on 10/20, had a positive experience, and now this radio silence is killing me.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:46 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Dybbuk wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm starting to worry. I too went complete before I had my interview. I interviewed in the middle of November, and my interviewer was lovely and seemed very positive about me. Now half a month of being ghosted is starting to strain me. :|
I'll hop in that boat. I went complete on 10/14, interviewed on 10/20, had a positive experience, and now this radio silence is killing me.
+180 but otoh there hasn't been a ton of movement.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:01 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
I'll hop in that boat, too. I am the captain now.

I interviewed on whatever day September LSAT scores came out and submitted 10/15. Still no word.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”