Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Did you/will you submit a Why Berkeley?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 am

Yes
74%
No
18%
I have a 4.0/180
8%

Total votes: 150

seanbodonovan

New

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by seanbodonovan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:50 am

I’ve been UR since 10/3. There’s hardly any rejections yet on LSN. I wish they would just do their rejection wave already and get it over with so I can move on with my life.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Last edited by etramak on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabylsatprep18

New

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Checking in! Sent my application last week of December, went UR 1/2. The suspense is killing me!

Do you guys know if they always notify acceptance by making a phone call?

jel2184

New

Post by jel2184 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:30 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:I’ve been UR since 10/3. There’s hardly any rejections yet on LSN. I wish they would just do their rejection wave already and get it over with so I can move on with my life.

I would take LSN with a grain of salt. II saw somewhere that LSN is such a small sample size. Yes, I haven't seen a lot of rejections but I doubt most people update their profiles. STAY POSITIVE!!!!

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:32 pm

gabylsatprep18 wrote:Checking in! Sent my application last week of December, went UR 1/2. The suspense is killing me!

Dean Tom used to call some people, the rest received emails. This year - in speaking with some people that were admitted - they all said they received an email. Btw, to note, people last year on LSN that applied after the first of the year didn't hear back - for the most part - until mid-Feb, or March.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gabylsatprep18

New

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:35 pm

NukinFutz wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:Checking in! Sent my application last week of December, went UR 1/2. The suspense is killing me!

Dean Tom used to call some people, the rest received emails. This year - in speaking with some people that were admitted - they all said they received an email. Btw, to note, people last year on LSN that applied after the first of the year didn't hear back - for the most part - until mid-Feb, or March.
Thank you for your response! Honestly, I was not waiting for a response from Berkeley earlier than mid-February or March. Unfortunately, that does not make the wait easier. All I can think about is my application and its status.

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm

gabylsatprep18 wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:

Thank you for your response! Honestly, I was not waiting for a response from Berkeley earlier than mid-February or March. Unfortunately, that does not make the wait easier. All I can think about is my application and its status.

The good news is that you got your application in right before Berkeley is pretty much filled up. If you look at LSN - and I would know from experience as I was rejected there last year (reapplied this year, but earlier) - just about every single applicant that applied after 1/9 or so was outright rejected, regardless of stats. Only a couple of admits, a handful of waitlists and truckloads of rejections. You got your app in with the batch that will be looked at with seats available.

gabylsatprep18

New

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm

NukinFutz wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:

The good news is that you got your application in right before Berkeley is pretty much filled up. If you look at LSN - and I would know from experience as I was rejected there last year (reapplied this year, but earlier) - just about every single applicant that applied after 1/9 or so was outright rejected, regardless of stats. Only a couple of admits, a handful of waitlists and truckloads of rejections. You got your app in with the batch that will be looked at with seats available.
Sincerely, I just feel like I have not idea of what I'm doing regarding applications. I didn't complete my undergrad studies in the U.S. (although I am a U.S. citizen), and I have never gone through a U.S. university admissions process. I took the LSAT in September and had pretty much everything ready to apply in October/November. Unfortunately, my recommenders went through personal issues during that time frame and my last LOR was not ready until mid-December (this is also my fault as I requested the LORs in October and I should have done it in summer). This situation forced me to apply really late to all schools, and I am terrified that it will affect me. Fortunately I'm not a T14 or nothing kind of person, and I already have a full-ride offer to another lower-ranked law school. However, I would hate to feel that I settled for less than what I could have gotten had I applied in October.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:19 pm

On LSN last year there were some acceptances on the 17th and the 23rd (the Tuesday after MLK day and the following Monday) and then a big wave of rejections on the 25th, which was the last Wednesday of the month.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usersomethingname

New

Post by usersomethingname » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

For people familiar with the Berkeley area, would you say that it would be useful to have a car while attending the law school?

nrthwst4now

New

Post by nrthwst4now » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:17 pm

usersomethingname wrote:For people familiar with the Berkeley area, would you say that it would be useful to have a car while attending the law school?
Useful, yes. Necessary, no. Buses are good around here. If you live on the south side of campus near College Ave or Telegraph, very walkable. Can take BART to SF when you want. You also get free AC Transit (the bus system around here) b/c its included in your tuition.

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 pm

nrthwst4now wrote:
usersomethingname wrote:For people familiar with the Berkeley area, would you say that it would be useful to have a car while attending the law school?
Useful, yes. Necessary, no. Buses are good around here. If you live on the south side of campus near College Ave or Telegraph, very walkable. Can take BART to SF when you want. You also get free AC Transit (the bus system around here) b/c its included in your tuition.
+1 Buses work just fine. As too do bikes. Plus you can throw a bike on the bus and get closer to where you need to be and bike from there. And yes, this poster is correct, AC transit is 'free' for the entire time you are a student, including during summer and winter breaks. If you need to get to SF for a job or externship, etc, BART will get you there and it is easy to get to whether you are walking or biking.

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm expecting a massive wave of decisions by the end of this week, it has been quiet for a while now. Good luck to everyone :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:On LSN last year there were some acceptances on the 17th and the 23rd (the Tuesday after MLK day and the following Monday) and then a big wave of rejections on the 25th, which was the last Wednesday of the month.
I was part of the "March 13th Massacre" last year. 100+ rejections. 4.0 and a 180? Didn't matter. Cured cancer? Didn't matter. Founded the next Apple? Didn't matter. All rejected. Most of those people applied at 1/9 or thereafter. If you applied by that same time this year or later, I would say one's chances are dismal.

resiny

New

Post by resiny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 am

NukinFutz wrote:
seanbodonovan wrote:On LSN last year there were some acceptances on the 17th and the 23rd (the Tuesday after MLK day and the following Monday) and then a big wave of rejections on the 25th, which was the last Wednesday of the month.
I was part of the "March 13th Massacre" last year. 100+ rejections. 4.0 and a 180? Didn't matter. Cured cancer? Didn't matter. Founded the next Apple? Didn't matter. All rejected. Most of those people applied at 1/9 or thereafter. If you applied by that same time this year or later, I would say one's chances are dismal.
Good to know. I didn't get mine in until 1/16, so I glad I read this and can have it be a pleasant surprise if I get in. I do find this approach curious--like, wouldn't they *want* the 4.0/180 person if they could get them? What's the thinking behind giving that seat to someone else who applied in September?(NB: I am definitely not 4.0/180)

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 am

resiny wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:
Good to know. I didn't get mine in until 1/16, so I glad I read this and can have it be a pleasant surprise if I get in. I do find this approach curious--like, wouldn't they *want* the 4.0/180 person if they could get them? What's the thinking behind giving that seat to someone else who applied in September?(NB: I am definitely not 4.0/180)
First of all, I am no expert about Berkeley Law admissions. Nor do I mean to be a downer, just calling it like it was. One can check out LSN for the last few cycles and you will see this trend I am speaking of. You very well could get in at a later date, it does happen - it is just rare when you apply late at Berkeley. All that being said....

My comment is just what I have put together from being a Cal undergraduate and speaking with admissions officers many times over the past couple of years. Berkeley Law has rolling admissions and they start admitting applicants very early in the year in comparison to many of the other T14 schools. By the time comes to make decisions on applicants that submitted in mid-January (which is around mid/late Feb through March), they have already made the lion's share of acceptances they are going to give out. They are already committed to enough applicants as to warrant not giving out additional acceptances at that point - even for 4.0/ 180-type applicants - as schools can't way overshoot acceptances just because there is more good candidates turning in apps. So, I don't think it is so much that they don't want those type of applicants, it is just simply that the boat already set sail, seats are full, max acceptances have been given.

So, a 1/16 submission date probably means that you may go complete at the beginning of next week, perhaps in review in another week or two after that. Then another two weeks - at least - in review. You are looking at it being almost March at that point. If you look at LSN for decisions handed out in March, it wasn't good. I think this trend may even by exaggerated this year at Berkeley (and perhaps a lot of other schools too) because LSAC released the December LSAT scores WAAAYYY earlier than ever before. As such, December LSAT takers were able to submit their applications earlier than usual.

I do wish you the best and I hope you can pop back in here and tell me how wrong I was, because you were admitted :D

Revelator 12

New

Post by Revelator 12 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:41 am

Any admits have any insight into the Fin. Aid timeline for Berk? Waiting is giving me palpitations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ceroespada

New

Post by ceroespada » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:03 am

Revelator 12 wrote:Any admits have any insight into the Fin. Aid timeline for Berk? Waiting is giving me palpitations.
+1

Also am I wrong to not fill out the questionnaire for "need-based gift aid", if I think I wouldn't qualify for need based generally? Ditto for filling out FAFSA.

resiny

New

Post by resiny » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:10 am

NukinFutz wrote:
resiny wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:
First of all, I am no expert about Berkeley Law admissions. Nor do I mean to be a downer, just calling it like it was. One can check out LSN for the last few cycles and you will see this trend I am speaking of. You very well could get in at a later date, it does happen - it is just rare when you apply late at Berkeley. All that being said....

My comment is just what I have put together from being a Cal undergraduate and speaking with admissions officers many times over the past couple of years. Berkeley Law has rolling admissions and they start admitting applicants very early in the year in comparison to many of the other T14 schools. By the time comes to make decisions on applicants that submitted in mid-January (which is around mid/late Feb through March), they have already made the lion's share of acceptances they are going to give out. They are already committed to enough applicants as to warrant not giving out additional acceptances at that point - even for 4.0/ 180-type applicants - as schools can't way overshoot acceptances just because there is more good candidates turning in apps. So, I don't think it is so much that they don't want those type of applicants, it is just simply that the boat already set sail, seats are full, max acceptances have been given.

So, a 1/16 submission date probably means that you may go complete at the beginning of next week, perhaps in review in another week or two after that. Then another two weeks - at least - in review. You are looking at it being almost March at that point. If you look at LSN for decisions handed out in March, it wasn't good. I think this trend may even by exaggerated this year at Berkeley (and perhaps a lot of other schools too) because LSAC released the December LSAT scores WAAAYYY earlier than ever before. As such, December LSAT takers were able to submit their applications earlier than usual.

I do wish you the best and I hope you can pop back in here and tell me how wrong I was, because you were admitted :D
No yeah - wasn't upset at you for posting or anything. Good information to have to temper expectations. Worst case scenario I'm submitting on day 1 next September.

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:23 pm

ceroespada wrote:
Revelator 12 wrote:Any admits have any insight into the Fin. Aid timeline for Berk? Waiting is giving me palpitations.
+1

Also am I wrong to not fill out the questionnaire for "need-based gift aid", if I think I wouldn't qualify for need based generally? Ditto for filling out FAFSA.
You CANNOT receive loans if you do not fill out the FAFSA and send it to the school. But it supposedly wont hurt you to not fill out the other thing.
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

of2273

New

Post by of2273 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Does anyone know when ED --> RD people will start hearing back? UR since November 21.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jel2184

New

Post by jel2184 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:59 pm

of2273 wrote:Does anyone know when ED --> RD people will start hearing back? UR since November 21.
Looking back to older threads, your app could be in Faculty Review, so maybe you won't hear back till end of January or February?

NukinFutz

Bronze

Post by NukinFutz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

I'M IN !!!!!!

theharleyquinn

New

Post by theharleyquinn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm

NukinFutz wrote:I'M IN !!!!!!
+1! I saw the email hit my inbox and was like, "Wait, what?"

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:12 pm

theharleyquinn wrote:
NukinFutz wrote:I'M IN !!!!!!
+1! I saw the email hit my inbox and was like, "Wait, what?"
Congrats when did you guys go UR1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”