Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Did you/will you submit a Why Berkeley?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 am

Yes
74%
No
18%
I have a 4.0/180
8%

Total votes: 150

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm

I've been UR since 10/16, but I didn't receive the Dean's email^

Revelator 12

New

Post by Revelator 12 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:05 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:
I mean.
Seems like it isn't ideal. Some people have been accepted just based on their applications already.
Others likely dinged. Sounds like we got put in the maybe pile
Who has been accepted lol? I'm applying RD so maybe this is an automatic email, who knows
Data Point:
I applied RD on 10/23 and didn't receive this email... yet....

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Aricole wrote:Received the email too. Pasting from TLS Interview with BOALT Dean Edward Tom about the faculty review below. The interview was conducted a few years ago, so not sure if anything has changed since then. If it's unchanged, the email is not an ideal sign.
Admissions Process – Rating Applications

TLS: What does the admissions process consist of, and how is an application rated?

Dean Tom: “Well, all the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have 4 other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other 4 read the other one-third.”

TLS: Wow, busy man.

Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.

This year for example, we received approximately 7100 applications. We admitted roughly 750, and we’re going to enroll a class of about 270. The applications go up and down a little bit from year to year, but in terms of admission, the number of people we offer admission to, and the size of the class, that’s about the same.”

wellp. getting dinged at Berk.
awesome.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:20 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
Aricole wrote:Received the email too. Pasting from TLS Interview with BOALT Dean Edward Tom about the faculty review below. The interview was conducted a few years ago, so not sure if anything has changed since then. If it's unchanged, the email is not an ideal sign.

TLS: What does the admissions process consist of, and how is an application rated?

Dean Tom: “Well, all the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have 4 other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other 4 read the other one-third.”

Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.

This year for example, we received approximately 7100 applications. We admitted roughly 750, and we’re going to enroll a class of about 270. The applications go up and down a little bit from year to year, but in terms of admission, the number of people we offer admission to, and the size of the class, that’s about the same.”

wait.

What if we put that we did NOT want students to review our file? Only admissions/professors??

Then are we just shit out of luck? Auto-ding? or do they allow the students to review it anyways?

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:23 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

wait.

What if we put that we did NOT want students to review our file? Only admissions/professors??

Then are we just shit out of luck? Auto-ding? or do they allow the students to review it anyways?
I imagine if you put no then the students on the committee won't look at yours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lobsicle

New

Post by lobsicle » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
I mean.
Seems like it isn't ideal. Some people have been accepted just based on their applications already.
There have been RD acceptances?

wannabegenius

Bronze

Post by wannabegenius » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Under review since 10/23 and no email yet. I'm going to assume that they just haven't gotten to mine yet... but someone tell a noob if this is a dangerous assumption.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 pm

lobsicle wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:
I mean.
There have been RD acceptances?
Don't think so.

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 pm

wannabegenius wrote:Under review since 10/23 and no email yet. I'm going to assume that they just haven't gotten to mine yet... but someone tell a noob if this is a dangerous assumption.
I think it means they either 1) haven't gotten to you 2) have gotten to you and you're in or 3) have gotten to you and you're dinged.

People that got those emails are the people they think are competitive enough for a second look by another committee.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabegenius

Bronze

Post by wannabegenius » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:36 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
wannabegenius wrote:Under review since 10/23 and no email yet. I'm going to assume that they just haven't gotten to mine yet... but someone tell a noob if this is a dangerous assumption.
I think it means they either 1) haven't gotten to you 2) have gotten to you and you're in or 3) have gotten to you and you're dinged.

People that got those emails are the people they think are competitive enough for a second look by another committee.
Oh ok, so basically people who aren't quite auto-admits, but are closer to admit than ding?

I'm probably in the 1 category, but if anyone who went UR at the same time as me got one then I'm going with a definite 3.

Leisreana

New

Post by Leisreana » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Last edited by Leisreana on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooleyclassof2021

New

Post by cooleyclassof2021 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 am

Wakhancorridor wrote:
cooleyclassof2021 wrote:Loved the idea of Berkeley for the longest time, but was super upset by the closed-mindedness of several students. I know I shouldn't base a decision off of a couple outliers but dang
Elaborate more and I can provide some insight into whether your concerns are legitimate or not
I work for a prosecutor. I've heard that that is considered essentially working for the devil

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:23 am

Under review since 10/3 but didn't get an email today, so I'm gonna assume a ding since I'm for sure not an auto-admit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am

andysimbi wrote:Under review since 10/3 but didn't get an email today, so I'm gonna assume a ding since I'm for sure not an auto-admit.
+1

wannabegenius

Bronze

Post by wannabegenius » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
andysimbi wrote:Under review since 10/3 but didn't get an email today, so I'm gonna assume a ding since I'm for sure not an auto-admit.
+1
Do we know how long they really take? Maybe they've only gotten to the people who went under review in September.

Wakhancorridor

New

Post by Wakhancorridor » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

cooleyclassof2021 wrote:
Wakhancorridor wrote:
cooleyclassof2021 wrote:Loved the idea of Berkeley for the longest time, but was super upset by the closed-mindedness of several students. I know I shouldn't base a decision off of a couple outliers but dang
Elaborate more and I can provide some insight into whether your concerns are legitimate or not
I work for a prosecutor. I've heard that that is considered essentially working for the devil
Not a real concern. I came in working from a DA's office and a good amount of others did as well. I know a lot of people aiming for the USAO for 1L summer and a decent number of people that spent 1L with SF city's attorney, local DA offices, or USAO offices.

Sure there is a small contingency of the class that's very assertive in its social justice orientation and part of that might bleed into a bias against DAs offices but by and large, I don't think there's that bias in the overall student body and it's definitely not treated as "the devil."

Now if you were a trump supporter, it'd be a little tougher of an environment to be open about that but I think that's the nature of all top law schools (besides maybe UVA or Georgetown) in 2017

exitdoesnotexist

New

Post by exitdoesnotexist » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:58 am

Wakhancorridor wrote:
cooleyclassof2021 wrote:
Wakhancorridor wrote:
Not a real concern. I came in working from a DA's office and a good amount of others did as well. I know a lot of people aiming for the USAO for 1L summer and a decent number of people that spent 1L with SF city's attorney, local DA offices, or USAO offices.

Sure there is a small contingency of the class that's very assertive in its social justice orientation and part of that might bleed into a bias against DAs offices but by and large, I don't think there's that bias in the overall student body and it's definitely not treated as "the devil."

Now if you were a trump supporter, it'd be a little tougher of an environment to be open about that but I think that's the nature of all top law schools (besides maybe UVA or Georgetown) in 2017
I would echo what was said above. I believe the whole idea that Berkeley is this shining beacon for social justice and liberalness is really hyperbolized. The vast majority of people are still trying to work for a firm--that's the same here as in other schools. As was said above, there is a small group of people who are very vocal about their political views, but from what I experience, they are usually willing to discuss things in a respectful manner if you so wish.

A large portion of people that are not interested in working for a firm are interested in prosecution/government work--these are our friends, nobody is going around saying their career prospects are evil. Personally, I'm interested in defense side type work and am closer to what a lot of people would view as super left, but that doesn't mean I have a narrow view of the world in which everyone who does something different than me is wrong or bad. But yeah, if you're pro-Trump definitely keep that under wraps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze

Post by NeneLeakesss_409 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
+1
I'm not an auto admit either
Last edited by NeneLeakesss_409 on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am

Submitted RD app on 11/16. Really love the Bay Area even tho originally from the Midwest/South/Southwest, so Berk is definitely one of my top choices.

[Also this is my first post in this forum. yay?]

bbwannabe

New

Post by bbwannabe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Last edited by bbwannabe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmg

New

Post by gmg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Did any ED applicants just get an email saying that they are now UR? Kind of paranoid this means that I didn't get ED since I submitted in mid October and haven't heard anything until now

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gmg

New

Post by gmg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

bbwannabe wrote:I just receieved an email saying im under review but I’m ED applicant and decisions for ED come out Dec.2nd... anyone else experiencing this??
I'm also ED and just gone one. I guess they may be sending them out to all ED applicants then? Obviously paranoid that this means we are now being considered for RD

cgecker

New

Post by cgecker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Also ED, also received the under review email. Kinda weird it doesn't mention anything about being early decision?

bbwannabe

New

Post by bbwannabe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Last edited by bbwannabe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

of2273

New

Post by of2273 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Does anyone recall if the binding contract was listed under "requirements list" on the status page before we received these "under review" emails?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”