Cornell Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If admitted, would you pay sticker?

YES
22%
NO
56%
Ehhhh idk
22%

Total votes: 326

NavyNuke

Bronze

Re: Cornell Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Also rejected, above both 75ths.

W. T. F. is going on.
I’m thinking some sort of super YP or they hated my PS.
How did the decision come?

feelitstill

New

Post by feelitstill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm

NavyNuke wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.

generic email for me

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:12 pm

feelitstill wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.

generic email for me
Thanks. Sorry for those dinged today.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 pm

AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.

I'm sorry to hear that you all :cry:
How were you sent decisions?

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

feelitstill wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.

generic email for me
Same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Walliums wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Just curious, did you write a Why Cornell or anything of the sort?

Cornell has a new dean, right? I wonder if the new dean is looking for things that we don't know about yet.
I didn’t write a separate why Cornell because I thought the one question they asked about it on the app was sufficient.

It very well could be the new dean wants to look more at personal fit like Berkley does, but I’m not sure if Cornell is in the position to do that and maintain their medians. It’s probably more likely that I just screwed up a section of the app or my PS in particular really rubbed someone the wrong way (it has political aspects and while UVA and WUSTL said they loved it, I could see it not receiving the best response).

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:47 pm

Scary stuff itt right now. Did you guys all interview as well?

App is still "ready for review". If people are getting rejected above bout 75%, I definitely did not put enough thought into the Why Cornell section.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:48 pm

I am really sorry for those of you who got bad news this week. Still waiting here.

Btw, what is "super YP"? I just can't imagine how someone over 75th on both wouldn't get in EXCEPT maybe they were just so convinced you'd go elsewhere that they didn't accept? A guy I work with does alumni interview for GULC and he says schools definitely don't want to accept people they know won't go there. So maybe...uh...it's a compliment?

HowardHamlin

New

Post by HowardHamlin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Last edited by HowardHamlin on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm

DistrictDisaster wrote:I am really sorry for those of you who got bad news this week. Still waiting here.

Btw, what is "super YP"? I just can't imagine how someone over 75th on both wouldn't get in EXCEPT maybe they were just so convinced you'd go elsewhere that they didn't accept? A guy I work with does alumni interview for GULC and he says schools definitely don't want to accept people they know won't go there. So maybe...uh...it's a compliment?
The existence of YP is this weird, and honestly frustrating, work-around for rank preservation. Sure, schools don't want to accept a student who won't go there, but schools cannot exactly look into a crystal ball and know who will accept and who won't. There's some statistical probability that students with higher scores will go to higher schools, but not EVERY student does that, and you can't exactly know if a student falls into that group or not. Even if 10% of >75% LSAT students accept at, say Cornell, it should be worth their while to extend offers to all top scorers who apply.

Here's the rub: YP could be eliminated instantaneously if USNWR stopped using acceptance rate as a data point for rank calculations. That is the solution to this mess. Make it happen, USNWR.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Walliums wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.
I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Just curious, did you write a Why Cornell or anything of the sort?

Cornell has a new dean, right? I wonder if the new dean is looking for things that we don't know about yet.
I didn’t write a separate why Cornell because I thought the one question they asked about it on the app was sufficient.

It very well could be the new dean wants to look more at personal fit like Berkley does, but I’m not sure if Cornell is in the position to do that and maintain their medians. It’s probably more likely that I just screwed up a section of the app or my PS in particular really rubbed someone the wrong way (it has political aspects and while UVA and WUSTL said they loved it, I could see it not receiving the best response).
I'm not sure I agree about not being able to maintain their medians and looking for a more personal fit. You see Northwestern and Michigan doing it as well, looking for folks with WE and who are a good fit for the culture at the school. Who knows, it may have something to do with K-JD and they are being more stringent on those candidates. But regardless on both of our parts it's just speculation :)

Try not to sweat it too much, you've gotten into some great programs! Maybe there wasn't a cultural fit there at Cornell so this will be a good thing in the end.

DistrictDisaster

Bronze

Post by DistrictDisaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Ok, understanding better, thanks. I can only think that for the >75% this must have played a factor. Which makes me feel like yakking.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:10 pm

feelitstill wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:

W. T. F. is going on.

generic email for me
Same....

I was below the 25% on both LSAT / GPA - probably expected for me - although I had a good PS and 10 years military service. Can't recall if I wrote a WHY statement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Those who got decisions, when did you go complete? And did your status checker change?

NavyNuke

Bronze

Post by NavyNuke » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:32 pm

So is anyone in, or is this a random ding wave?

audrinainlaw

New

Post by audrinainlaw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 pm

hotdog96 wrote:Those who got decisions, when did you go complete? And did your status checker change?
^^^ curious about this as well

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:36 pm

NavyNuke wrote:So is anyone in, or is this a random ding wave?

curious about this as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PostNihilist

Bronze

Post by PostNihilist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:41 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
NavyNuke wrote:So is anyone in, or is this a random ding wave?

curious about this as well.
No decisions posted to LSN yet, feels like some random early dings. Probably a little YP, a little no chance

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote: Here's the rub: YP could be eliminated instantaneously if USNWR stopped using acceptance rate as a data point for rank calculations. That is the solution to this mess. Make it happen, USNWR.
I guess it has a purpose in like differentiating Yale from Harvard, but yeah I'm sure it also hurts schools that don't ever YP (i.e. WUSTL)

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:34 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
SopranoSaxophone wrote: Here's the rub: YP could be eliminated instantaneously if USNWR stopped using acceptance rate as a data point for rank calculations. That is the solution to this mess. Make it happen, USNWR.
I guess it has a purpose in like differentiating Yale from Harvard, but yeah I'm sure it also hurts schools that don't ever YP (i.e. WUSTL)
Even without the acceptance rate data point for ranking, I'm fairly certain Yale will continue to be calculated higher than Harvard so long as their LSAT and GPA medians stay higher relative to Harvard.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to have access to the algorithm USNWR uses for rankings. Perhaps there's a way to reverse engineer it with 509s?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Submitted yesterday!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:53 pm

SopranoSaxophone wrote: Even without the acceptance rate data point for ranking, I'm fairly certain Yale will continue to be calculated higher than Harvard so long as their LSAT and GPA medians stay higher relative to Harvard.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to have access to the algorithm USNWR uses for rankings. Perhaps there's a way to reverse engineer it with 509s?
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... ethodology
Is this not it?

Also, Y/H have pretty identical LSAT scores (I do think Yale's GPA is better)

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:
SopranoSaxophone wrote: Even without the acceptance rate data point for ranking, I'm fairly certain Yale will continue to be calculated higher than Harvard so long as their LSAT and GPA medians stay higher relative to Harvard.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... ethodology
Is this not it?

Also, Y/H have pretty identical LSAT scores (I do think Yale's GPA is better)
..Yep that's it. For some reason I could have sworn their methodology wasn't public.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Walliums wrote:I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. Just curious, did you write a Why Cornell or anything of the sort?

This is Dean Ingram's third year on the job, so unless I missed something, there's no new dean. Also, Cornell went through this same pattern last year, rejecting a bunch of candidates even though they had numbers just above both 75ths, and they still maintained medians. Whether it's more YP or fit in any particular case is anybody's guess, but it's what they've been doing, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

Reading between the lines here, if your PS reveals anything resembling conservative political views, I wouldn't be surprised that UVA and WUSTL would love it, whereas other schools may not. Still, as far as I can tell, in the two years since Dean Ingram has been on the job, FedSoc has been resurgent at Cornell, with more conservative/libertarian students than in the past, so I assume admissions is not exactly screening out these applicants. FWIW, 5 years later, I still think my PS may have caused me to underperform even without any political references, so it could be that, but who knows. Whatever it was, sorry to hear about your rejection. It seems like you have good options already, so I wouldn't worry too much about the PS at this point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”