Cornell Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

If admitted, would you pay sticker?

YES
22%
NO
56%
Ehhhh idk
22%

Total votes: 326

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Re: Cornell Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Post by subpoenacolada » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 pm

pricon wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:JUST GOT THE CALL. IN AT CORNELL!!!

GAHHH. I've been accepted to an ivy league schoool!!!!

so stoked!!
Doesn't "Ivy League" refer to just the college?
I mean.. technically yeah but I think it's totally reasonable to be excited about the prestige associated with the school in general :roll:

Bouvant

New

Post by Bouvant » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

anyone know the interview questions?

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:
pricon wrote:

so stoked!!
I mean.. technically yeah but I think it's totally reasonable to be excited about the prestige associated with the school in general :roll:
Ivy League is an athletic conference. Cornell university is in that conference. Cornell law is associated with Cornell university. Make of that what you will. I think it is accurate to refer to Cornell as an Ivy law school.

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Chaimthegreat wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:
pricon wrote:

so stoked!!
Ivy League is an athletic conference. Cornell university is in that conference. Cornell law is associated with Cornell university. Make of that what you will. I think it is accurate to refer to Cornell as an Ivy law school.
I totally get the excitement. If I get into Penn or Cornell, I'll love being associated with the Ivy League college. Let's just admit we all wish we had gone to a real Ivy League college LOL

Chaimthegreat

New

Post by Chaimthegreat » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm

pricon wrote:
Chaimthegreat wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:
pricon wrote:

so stoked!!
I totally get the excitement. If I get into Penn or Cornell, I'll love being associated with the Ivy League college. Let's just admit we all wish we had gone to a real Ivy League college LOL
Did a quick google. Top results where Huffington: "why we don't hire Ivy League law grads. Wikipedia: "list of Ivy League law schools. Start class: "Ivy League law school". I think my point is that it is common to refer to certain law schools as Ivy League law schools. And technically they are. Their university- for which they are a part of- has an Ivy League conference affiliation. But true- I do not go to an Ivy League college.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I mean technically you can refer to anything on the Ivy League college campus as "Ivy League" right? Sure, they have an Ivy League football stadium and an Ivy League side walk. But the cultural prestige associated with the athletic conference is at the collegiate level. The sources you quoted don't refute that.

If the law school disappeared, the Ivy League wouldn't lose its prestige. It would still have the campus and the football stadium. If you got rid of the campus and football stadium and had only a law school, quite different, no? Then you see the source. So I'm not taking about a technicality or prescriptive meaning. I'm talking about a descriptive meaning of the term as it's understood.

Look, you and I both want to be associated with Ivy League. But we didn't get into one where it counts. But you got into a law school at one. That's great. It's different though.

ugatvandy

New

Post by ugatvandy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm

pricon wrote:I mean technically you can refer to anything on the Ivy League college campus as "Ivy League" right? Sure, they have an Ivy League football stadium and an Ivy League side walk. But the cultural prestige associated with the athletic conference is at the collegiate level. The sources you quoted don't refute that.

If the law school disappeared, the Ivy League wouldn't lose its prestige. It would still have the campus and the football stadium. If you got rid of the campus and football stadium and had only a law school, quite different, no? Then you see the source. So I'm not taking about a technicality or prescriptive meaning. I'm talking about a descriptive meaning of the term as it's understood.

Look, you and I both want to be associated with Ivy League. But we didn't get into one where it counts. But you got into a law school at one. That's great. It's different though.
WELL ACTUALLY-- the definition of Ivy League is "a group of long-established colleges and universities in the eastern US having high academic and social prestige. It includes Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown, and the University of Pennsylvania." Seeing as Cornell is a university and a university is comprised of all the colleges at any given school, Cornell Law is an Ivy League law school.

Furthermore, I am tired of everyone on this damn site looking for ways to attack or belittle another user. Just ask yourself before you comment: Is what I'm about to say kind? And if not, is it necessary?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

pricon wrote:

so stoked!!

lol

only on TLS would a bunch of 0Ls debate something so clearly searchable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... aw_schools

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

ugatvandy wrote: Furthermore, I am tired of everyone on this damn site looking for ways to attack or belittle another user. Just ask yourself before you comment: Is what I'm about to say kind? And if not, is it necessary?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

plzkillme1224

New

Post by plzkillme1224 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Alright, I'm gonna steer us back on track here: what was everyone's interview-to-response timeline? And how many times did your date change?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm

plzkillme1224 wrote:Alright, I'm gonna steer us back on track here: what was everyone's interview-to-response timeline? And how many times did your date change?

day after i interviewed.

kai1990

New

Post by kai1990 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:23 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
plzkillme1224 wrote:Alright, I'm gonna steer us back on track here: what was everyone's interview-to-response timeline? And how many times did your date change?

day after i interviewed.
day after for me as well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pricon

Bronze

Post by pricon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:29 pm

ugatvandy wrote:
pricon wrote:I mean technically you can refer to anything on the Ivy League college campus as "Ivy League" right? Sure, they have an Ivy League football stadium and an Ivy League side walk. But the cultural prestige associated with the athletic conference is at the collegiate level. The sources you quoted don't refute that.

WELL ACTUALLY-- the definition of Ivy League is "a group of long-established colleges and universities in the eastern US having high academic and social prestige. It includes Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, Brown, and the University of Pennsylvania." Seeing as Cornell is a university and a university is comprised of all the colleges at any given school, Cornell Law is an Ivy League law school.

Furthermore, I am tired of everyone on this damn site looking for ways to attack or belittle another user. Just ask yourself before you comment: Is what I'm about to say kind? And if not, is it necessary?
Bro, this is a law forum, not where you showcase your emotional baggage.

ugatvandy

New

Post by ugatvandy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:57 pm

pricon wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:

First of all, regardless of the type of forum, what you said to the OP was rude and written to belittle rather than aid.

Secondarily, that wasn't emotional baggage. If you'd like, I can provide the definition of that phrase for you as I did with the phrase above?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:56 pm

pricon wrote:
ugatvandy wrote:

Hey, please don’t derail the thread with this kind of argument. Thanks.

dlutfy

New

Post by dlutfy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:36 am

ugatvandy wrote:

People are arguing whether or not Cornell is an "Ivy league" law school.

JFC I need to get off this site.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:49 am

So to get back on track from the people who don't know how to google "Ivy League Law School",

Has anyone turned in their financials to move forward with the financial aid process?

kai90

New

Post by kai90 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:57 am

AaronCarter wrote:So to get back on track from the people who don't know how to google "Ivy League Law School",

Has anyone turned in their financials to move forward with the financial aid process?
I’m mailing mine in today. Unfortunately, I can’t file as an independent but I’m hoping for a good amount of need based and any merit based would be fantastic.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

I live in a metro area that's nowhere near Cornell and it has a terrific reputation in my city, and everyone I know oohs and ahhs at Cornell and considers it "Ivy League." A billionaire developer here got a graduate (?) degree from Cornell and I know he loves fellow alumni, and it appears to have a strong network for all its schools. Not sure where the snobbishness comes from because it's a great school with a great rep!

Anyway... anyone else submit an interview more than a week ago and still at "interview requested"? I got my interview request days after I submitted my app, so I'm hoping they're going through them by the app completion date :( Still not feeling too good with how long it's taken though! I really like Cornell and I know someone who recently started working there and he says he LOVES Ithaca.

profdogwalker

New

Post by profdogwalker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:18 pm

38981928 wrote:I live in a metro area that's nowhere near Cornell and it has a terrific reputation in my city, and everyone I know oohs and ahhs at Cornell and considers it "Ivy League." A billionaire developer here got a graduate (?) degree from Cornell and I know he loves fellow alumni, and it appears to have a strong network for all its schools. Not sure where the snobbishness comes from because it's a great school with a great rep!

Anyway... anyone else submit an interview more than a week ago and still at "interview requested"? I got my interview request days after I submitted my app, so I'm hoping they're going through them by the app completion date :( Still not feeling too good with how long it's taken though! I really like Cornell and I know someone who recently started working there and he says he LOVES Ithaca.
Last edited by profdogwalker on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Post by subpoenacolada » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:23 pm

38981928 wrote:I live in a metro area that's nowhere near Cornell and it has a terrific reputation in my city, and everyone I know oohs and ahhs at Cornell and considers it "Ivy League." A billionaire developer here got a graduate (?) degree from Cornell and I know he loves fellow alumni, and it appears to have a strong network for all its schools. Not sure where the snobbishness comes from because it's a great school with a great rep!

I submitted way back in September, interviewed last week, still stuck at "interview requested." Not sure what's up!

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:24 pm

[youtube]eSxlfLTZu0k[/youtube]

For those of you doubting Cornell's Ivy status

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:25 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:

I submitted way back in September, interviewed last week, still stuck at "interview requested." Not sure what's up!
If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats?

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:33 pm

AaronCarter wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats?
Not sure if you were referring to me or subpoenacolada, but I got 172/4.02 :( I'm really hoping the delay is just because my app was submitted later (around the end of October) or something!

ETA: not urm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”