WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why are you applying to WUSTL?

Dream School
8%
Reach
16%
Safety App
27%
Super Splitter & applying everywhere (lolfml)
27%
For Scholarship Negotiation
23%

Total votes: 257

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:53 pm

heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
grrlater wrote: Thanks for trying to help I do appreciate it but my personal choice is that I will probably not retake. Can I expect any money at all from WUSTL?
Looking at mylsn.info, it looks like you're going to be admitted, and have about a 3/5 chance of money.
Thanks! Yeah, I already got in a while ago that's why I was wondering since they have not contacted me since.
I respect that you're making your own decisions! I retook the LSAT with a 169, my score went down, and I actually MASSIVELY REGRET IT. I missed a lot of really important events and isolated a lot of my friends studying to take it again and it wasn't worth it. The culture on TLS is RETAKE, but if you feel your score represents you as a person, chargers21 is right. You're an adult and you don't have to listen to people on the internet, either ;)
100% what she said. Don't give too much weight to the opinions of other 0Ls who have only stepped inside of an admissions office to take a tour, do what is best for you. Sometimes a re-take isn't feasible, and you will more than likely get into WUSTL with money, along with more than a few other T20 schools.

grrlater

New

Post by grrlater » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:05 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
grrlater wrote: Thanks for trying to help I do appreciate it but my personal choice is that I will probably not retake. Can I expect any money at all from WUSTL?
Looking at mylsn.info, it looks like you're going to be admitted, and have about a 3/5 chance of money.
Thanks! Yeah, I already got in a while ago that's why I was wondering since they have not contacted me since.
I respect that you're making your own decisions! I retook the LSAT with a 169, my score went down, and I actually MASSIVELY REGRET IT. I missed a lot of really important events and isolated a lot of my friends studying to take it again and it wasn't worth it. The culture on TLS is RETAKE, but if you feel your score represents you as a person, chargers21 is right. You're an adult and you don't have to listen to people on the internet, either ;)
100% what she said. Don't give too much weight to the opinions of other 0Ls who have only stepped inside of an admissions office to take a tour, do what is best for you. Sometimes a re-take isn't feasible, and you will more than likely get into WUSTL with money, along with more than a few other T20 schools.
Thanks y'all! I did think about retaking very seriously but at this point I just don't think it is the best choice for me! I knew posting my stats on TLS would lead to retake advice and I do appreciate it but again just not what I am going to do.

grrlater

New

Post by grrlater » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

[/quote]Probably like 90k (although I had better stats than you and they waitlisted me). Not sure how useful a WashU degree will be when you have to go back to your home country. On the bright side, it looks like you have a shot at a variety of t13 schools anyways at high prices. UChicago, Michigam, UVA, Northwestern, and Cornell all show decent odds, and because money doesn't seem to matter that much, I'd recommend UChicago for best odds of getting visa sponsorship[/quote]

I did apply to a couple of those schools. Not UChi though.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm

grrlater wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
Thanks y'all! I did think about retaking very seriously but at this point I just don't think it is the best choice for me! I knew posting my stats on TLS would lead to retake advice and I do appreciate it but again just not what I am going to do.
There's always the option of retaking in February for scholarship negotiation purposes, and even without that, you're likely to have a cycle with some options. I'm hoping to have a T13 or two on the table, but as a super-splitter, could well be on the outside of that set choosing between scholarships in places I wouldn't mind living/working, so I understand the feeling of having to ignore some of the prevailing attitudes on TLS.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Effingham

Bronze

Post by Effingham » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
What about the numerous graduates and practicing lawyers on here that think this view is absurd and will cause you to experience significant regret for a minimum of a decade? Debt sucks, big law is only worth it if the money is going to cool stuff. Also, if 3.95 gpa person gets a 169, I won’t recommend they retake...but a 165 is a great scenario for a retake with that GPA. I really don’t understand how people like you have convinced yourselves a year of your life (and it’s not like you’re even losing the year, you’re still working and gaining skills and experience, you’re just not going to be the youngest lawyer in the room) is so significant you’re willing to sacrifice roughly $100,000+, when you include interest, for it. I get the feeling of impatience and the social pressures, but I have to say, this is the easiest single decision you can make in terms of cost/benefit in your entire legal career.

Never again will the benefits of putting in effort be so easily quantifiable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Platopus wrote:
Effingham wrote:
Seriously, this.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed that OP will improve (although I suspect he/she could), but we are talking about 0 downside and $300K on the upside... You lose NOTHING by retaking. On the other hand, answer 4-5 more questions correct on a single test and law school can be free. You don't need a JD to see how short-sighted it is to say "retaking isn't feasible".
I understand the value of that effort perfectly fine, I retook with an LSAT score that was one point lower than the OP's, and I am very glad that I did. Retaking is a good idea for a lot of people, but in this case the OP expressed a pressing need to not re-take, and didn't say a word about Biglaw. OP has an F1 visa and the timetable for how long he can stay in the country is very limited (especially given the current administration). All of the effort in the world doesn't change anything in that situation.
Last edited by HenryHankPalmer on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ugatvandy

New

Post by ugatvandy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Platopus wrote:
Effingham wrote:
Seriously, this.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed that OP will improve (although I suspect he/she could), but we are talking about 0 downside and $300K on the upside... You lose NOTHING by retaking. On the other hand, answer 4-5 more questions correct on a single test and law school can be free. You don't need a JD to see how short-sighted it is to say "retaking isn't feasible".
The OP didn't ask whether y'all thought they should retake; they asked what kind of scholarship information they could likely expect based on their current stats. It is ~100% common knowledge that an increase in LSAT score, no matter how small, will lead to an increase in scholarship amounts in nearly all cases. If the OP has already stated that they have no intention of retaking, how about we respect that decision instead of reiterating that an LSAT increase will give them more money. While I agree that retaking the LSAT would, ideally, help the OP in the scholarship department, I also know that taking the LSAT multiple times is a privilege that not everyone has. The test itself is emotionally and mentally draining and it can take significant time away from other equally important responsibilities. Let's just all agree that the OP knows what's best for their own wellbeing.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Y'all - the "OP" has stated that their F1 is expiring and that money isn't really a factor. What is a factor, is the fact that there is a deadline as to how long you can stay in the US for. Presumably, that should change the whole "ohhh you can wait a year" retake calculus a bit? Or are we just going to regurgitate the same ish over and over again.

Now if the answer is - oh retake in Feb for scholarship negotiation, that's not a bad idea whatsoever. But maybe pump the brakes with the if(LSAT Score<170, then retake) auto-response?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:43 pm

ugatvandy wrote:
Let's just all agree that the OP knows what's best for their own wellbeing.
i luv u.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:59 pm

ugatvandy wrote:
Platopus wrote:
Effingham wrote:
Seriously, this.

The OP didn't ask whether y'all thought they should retake; they asked what kind of scholarship information they could likely expect based on their current stats. It is ~100% common knowledge that an increase in LSAT score, no matter how small, will lead to an increase in scholarship amounts in nearly all cases. If the OP has already stated that they have no intention of retaking, how about we respect that decision instead of reiterating that an LSAT increase will give them more money. While I agree that retaking the LSAT would, ideally, help the OP in the scholarship department, I also know that taking the LSAT multiple times is a privilege that not everyone has. The test itself is emotionally and mentally draining and it can take significant time away from other equally important responsibilities. Let's just all agree that the OP knows what's best for their own wellbeing.
^^^^^^

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:13 pm

abujabal wrote:Y'all - the "OP" has stated that their F1 is expiring and that money isn't really a factor. What is a factor, is the fact that there is a deadline as to how long you can stay in the US for. Presumably, that should change the whole "ohhh you can wait a year" retake calculus a bit? Or are we just going to regurgitate the same ish over and over again.

Now if the answer is - oh retake in Feb for scholarship negotiation, that's not a bad idea whatsoever. But maybe pump the brakes with the if(LSAT Score<170, then retake) auto-response?
It is like there is a race to be the first one to tell someone to retake. What prize do you win, aside from looking like the most pretentious person on the board? If someone were to say "Hey, I have a 3.9/165, and I want to be a SCOTUS clerk and work at Cravath, where should I go to law school?" I would tell them to keep dreaming and retake the LSAT. But in this instance, the OP cited real concerns that make indefinite retakes rather difficult and asked what their chances were at this particular school. But of course, that didn't stop the retake crowd from questioning the effort of anyone who isn't totally committed to retaking. Gotta love TLS.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:24 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
abujabal wrote:Y'all - the "OP" has stated that their F1 is expiring and that money isn't really a factor. What is a factor, is the fact that there is a deadline as to how long you can stay in the US for. Presumably, that should change the whole "ohhh you can wait a year" retake calculus a bit? Or are we just going to regurgitate the same ish over and over again.

It is like there is a race to be the first one to tell someone to retake. What prize do you win, aside from looking like the most pretentious person on the board? If someone were to say "Hey, I have a 3.9/165, and I want to be a SCOTUS clerk and work at Cravath, where should I go to law school?" I would tell them to keep dreaming and retake the LSAT. But in this instance, the OP cited real concerns that make indefinite retakes rather difficult and asked what their chances were at this particular school. But of course, that didn't stop the retake crowd from questioning the effort of anyone who isn't totally committed to retaking. Gotta love TLS.
I made the assumption that the OP wanted to stay in the country after graduating so I assumed biglaw, because that's how you get H1B visa sponsorship. If that is untrue, then I apologize. I just didn't want to idly sit by and let someone ignorantly ruin their life, and I didn't say it in a way that made me sound better than them. In fact, I recommended better options for the OP if they couldn't retake and wanted a shot at visa sponsoring biglaw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:34 pm

chargers21 wrote: I just didn't want to idly sit by and let someone ignorantly ruin their life
The weight of the world rests upon your shoulders huh?

@grrlater - I'd suggest applying broadly, and a February retake for $$$ may not be a bad idea. That said, it could be to your advantage to write a strong UChi application as well, and really just throw it out there as much as possible.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:38 pm

I made the assumption that the OP wanted to stay in the country after graduating so I assumed biglaw, because that's how you get H1B visa sponsorship. If that is untrue, then I apologize. I just didn't want to idly sit by and let someone ignorantly ruin their life, and I didn't say it in a way that made me sound better than them. In fact, I recommended better options for the OP if they couldn't retake and wanted a shot at visa sponsoring biglaw

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm

abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote: I just didn't want to idly sit by and let someone ignorantly ruin their life
The weight of the world rests upon your shoulders huh?

@grrlater - I'd suggest applying broadly, and a February retake for $$$ may not be a bad idea. That said, it could be to your advantage to write a strong UChi application as well, and really just throw it out there as much as possible.
Ignorant means without knowledge. I wasn't calling anyone stupid. Many people aren't aware of how biglaw jobs are divided up or about the availablility of sponsorship unless they've been on this site for a while. I had no clue about anything law school application related prior to extensive research on here.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm

chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote: Ignorant means without knowledge.
Thank you I was ignorant of what ignorant meant ya saved another one in the forums today pat yourself on the back

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:49 pm

abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
abujabal wrote:
chargers21 wrote: Ignorant means without knowledge.
Thank you I was ignorant of what ignorant meant ya saved another one in the forums today pat yourself on the back
You're gonna go far. I'm sure you'll make tons of friends at law school with your attitude and absolutely crush your interviews with that bubbly personality

br1112

New

Post by br1112 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:58 pm

heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
I love that someone on the internet is proferring advice and simultaneously highlighting how idiotic it is to take advice from someone on the internet

You go TLS!

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:31 pm

br1112 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
I love that someone on the internet is proferring advice and simultaneously highlighting how idiotic it is to take advice from someone on the internet

You go TLS!
A1 first post. Are you one of those Russian bots?

br1112

New

Post by br1112 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:54 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
br1112 wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
grrlater wrote:
wmbuff wrote:

You go TLS!
A1 first post. Are you one of those Russian bots?
Last edited by br1112 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:13 pm

This thread has kinda gone to hell today. Instead of seeing "I got accepted!" and "I got a scholarship!" we got some arguments about the merits or retaking which sometimes acknowledged that there was a specific set of circumstances involved in the question that sparked the discussion, followed by some low-grade sniping.

I wish I had good news to share just to change the conversation, but I'm still waiting on my news. Since that's the case for now, I merely wish you all good luck.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLeHood13

New

Post by RobinLeHood13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 am

wmbuff wrote:This thread has kinda gone to hell today. Instead of seeing "I got accepted!" and "I got a scholarship!" we got some arguments about the merits or retaking which sometimes acknowledged that there was a specific set of circumstances involved in the question that sparked the discussion, followed by some low-grade sniping.

I wish I had good news to share just to change the conversation, but I'm still waiting on my news. Since that's the case for now, I merely wish you all good luck.
I got in
Last edited by RobinLeHood13 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 am

RobinLeHood13 wrote: I got in and I got scholarship. Visited this fall and it was pretty nice, maybe I’ll see some of you this fall
Congratulations!
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 am

Interviewed last monday ,LSAT 25>x>50 so hoping for good news, but I've heard it could be a wait!
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”