Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

JS2s are upon us! What would you take over HLS? Anything?

HLS or bust, fam
19%
SLS/YLS
27%
T6 Full Tuition Scholly
25%
T6 w/ Money (< full)
8%
T6 Sticker
2%
T14 Full Tuition Scholly
12%
T14 w/ Money (< full)
4%
T14 Sticker
2%

Total votes: 491

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm

covfefe wrote:
spectacles wrote:
covfefe wrote:To the folks who know way more than me, does Harvard's status checker do anything after "Complete," or do you just go complete, and then cross your fingers for a JS1 from there?
The second bit - it doesn't change after it goes complete.
Sweeeeeeet then I will stop checking that status checker *deletes from bookmarks*
+180. One less to neurotically check!

ArthurTimothyRead

New

Post by ArthurTimothyRead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:08 pm

appind wrote:
rideagain wrote:The more I think about it the more meh I am about how my interview went. Jealous of everyone who says their interviewer was really excited/energetic.
same. on a few of the questions i feel could have def done better.
It's always easy to pick apart one's interview retroactively; I'm sure you did fine :)

That said, how much do you think law schools (particularly Harvard) emphasize delivery when assessing applicants? Obviously what you say is important, but I also feel like sharpness, energy and personability matter more than one would think. Frankly, a lot of the questions we get asked have predictable answers. I can't imagine there are a lot of truly unique responses to your standard "why law school," "why X University," ''why now?"

For me, I look back and think my responses may have been a hair too anecdotal, but I'm hoping that the enthusiasm and articulation I used will compensate for it.

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm

ArthurTimothyRead wrote:
appind wrote:
rideagain wrote:The more I think about it the more meh I am about how my interview went. Jealous of everyone who says their interviewer was really excited/energetic.
It's always easy to pick apart one's interview retroactively; I'm sure you did fine :)

That said, how much do you think law schools (particularly Harvard) emphasize delivery when assessing applicants? Obviously what you say is important, but I also feel like sharpness, energy and personability matter more than one would think. Frankly, a lot of the questions we get asked have predictable answers. I can't imagine there are a lot of truly unique responses to your standard "why law school," "why X University," ''why now?"

For me, I look back and think my responses may have been a hair too anecdotal, but I'm hoping that the enthusiasm and articulation I used will compensate for it.
Good question. I definitely think that being articulate/clear is at least equally important as what you say. At the end of the day I do tend to think a 15 minute interview is really only useful for assessing your ability to hold a semi-normal conversation with a stranger.

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

rideagain wrote:
ArthurTimothyRead wrote:
appind wrote:

Good question. I definitely think that being articulate/clear is at least equally important as what you say. At the end of the day I do tend to think a 15 minute interview is really only useful for assessing your ability to hold a semi-normal conversation with a stranger.
Ditto. Your energy and the vibe you give off plays a major role. My interview was fun and informal. The best book for this type of interactions is How To Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie. It really helps to understand how you should talk to different personalities.

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Any chance of a wave this Monday/Tuesday?? lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATuration

Bronze

Post by LSATuration » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 pm

april_ludgate wrote:Any chance of a wave this Monday/Tuesday?? lol
I'd place Monday at <0.1% probability.

april_ludgate

Bronze

Post by april_ludgate » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm

LSATuration wrote:
but what if i want if really badly? lol

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Does anyone know if Harvard considers an LSAT retake if the test was taken after the app went complete? Columbia informed me that it's their policy that once an app is complete they don't consider any LSAT retakes.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:40 pm

LSATuration wrote:
why so?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

appind wrote:
LSATuration wrote:
why so?
It’s a national holiday. MLK day.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 pm

usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
LSATuration wrote:
why so?
ah, got it

TomLawSchool

New

Post by TomLawSchool » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 am

appind wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
LSATuration wrote:
why so?
ah, got it
So nothing in the HLS interview schedule for next week. What is the crowd wisdom as to what this might mean? :D
Last edited by TomLawSchool on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:13 pm

TomLawSchool wrote:
appind wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
LSATuration wrote:
why so?
ah, got it
So nothing in the HLS interview schedule for next week. What is the crowd wisdom to as what this might mean? :D
I could be misremembering, but I believe last JS2 wave was preceded by a week of no interviews
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

thepsychedelic wrote:
TomLawSchool wrote:
appind wrote:
usaorbust wrote:
appind wrote:
LSATuration wrote:
why so?
ah, got it
So nothing in the HLS interview schedule for next week. What is the crowd wisdom to as what this might mean? :D
I could be misremembering, but I believe last JS2 wave was preceded by a week of no interviews

Ayeeee! That's what I'm talking 'bout! Please, Lord. I want to find out asap

spectacles

New

Post by spectacles » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Doubt a 01/11 JS1 is early enough to get me even considered for the next JS2 wave, but a man can dream.

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:30 pm

I would just like to make a public service announcement to anyone yet to do their JS1 that when you do, you should 100% make sure that your dog is in a place where he can’t go ballistic in the middle of your interview. And If you can’t do that, at least make sure that you don’t get an amazon prime delivery from your mom SMACK in the middle of your interview spurring such a ballistic episode from said k9.

Definitely not speaking from personal experience or anything... :shock:

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:03 am

Teacher wrote:I would just like to make a public service announcement to anyone yet to do their JS1 that when you do, you should 100% make sure that your dog is in a place where he can’t go ballistic in the middle of your interview. And If you can’t do that, at least make sure that you don’t get an amazon prime delivery from your mom SMACK in the middle of your interview spurring such a ballistic episode from said k9.

This is general advice haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:23 am

Teacher wrote:I would just like to make a public service announcement to anyone yet to do their JS1 that when you do, you should 100% make sure that your dog is in a place where he can’t go ballistic in the middle of your interview. And If you can’t do that, at least make sure that you don’t get an amazon prime delivery from your mom SMACK in the middle of your interview spurring such a ballistic episode from said k9.

Oh my gosh wat did your interviewer do??

maria3cocos

New

Post by maria3cocos » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:16 am

Had my interview, I took off the whole day of work for the thing (15 minutes?) and was so nervous! I think I accidentally looked like I rolled my eyes when I was thinking of how to respond to a question. And of course I've gone over all the ways I could have worded things better about a gazillion times give or take. Anyone know if the interview is likely to make or break things or if it's just a sort of transition into the next stage? I can't imagine anyone is screaming profanities or showing up nude so I doubt the purpose is just to determine that we're normal-ish... My interviewer said he would be writing notes but then didn't really write any notes the whole time. Bad sign?

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 am

maria3cocos wrote:Had my interview, I took off the whole day of work for the thing (15 minutes?) and was so nervous! I think I accidentally looked like I rolled my eyes when I was thinking of how to respond to a question. And of course I've gone over all the ways I could have worded things better about a gazillion times give or take. Anyone know if the interview is likely to make or break things or if it's just a sort of transition into the next stage? I can't imagine anyone is screaming profanities or showing up nude so I doubt the purpose is just to determine that we're normal-ish... My interviewer said he would be writing notes but then didn't really write any notes the whole time. Bad sign?
I really think it is 1 and "are you normally" check and 2 a "what else can we learn about you" check. Most important is passing the normal test. Dont underestimate how many applicants are either completely socially inept and/or major aholes

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:21 am

spectacles wrote:Doubt a 01/11 JS1 is early enough to get me even considered for the next JS2 wave, but a man can dream.
Someone correct me if im wrong but I dont think this is true. If a faculty member has OK'd you by now then you're going to be in the pile of JS1'd apps that they review this week before the wave

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:00 am

etramak wrote:
spectacles wrote:Doubt a 01/11 JS1 is early enough to get me even considered for the next JS2 wave, but a man can dream.
Someone correct me if im wrong but I dont think this is true. If a faculty member has OK'd you by now then you're going to be in the pile of JS1'd apps that they review this week before the wave
I think it goes interview, then faculty review. Not the other way around.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:27 am

Who things there will be a JS2 wave this week? I want it so badly!!

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 am

rideagain wrote:
etramak wrote:
I think it goes interview, then faculty review. Not the other way around.
yeah, it goes to FR after interview. i believe everyone they interview they send for FR along with interview notes. does anyone know how FR actually works, is it just one faculty member going thru the file or many? complete file or only gpa? FR success rate?

TomLawSchool

New

Post by TomLawSchool » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Who things there will be a JS2 wave this week? I want it so badly!!
So the guess is this week or next week? Does it take a full week for them to review the applications?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”