University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mcmand

Silver

Re: University of Washington c/o 2021 | Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by mcmand » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:43 am

abujabal wrote:
DorkothyParker wrote:My understanding is that the state of Washington doesn't "allow" a URM bump. I've tried Googling, but can't really find much on that. Does anyone have any knowledge on that. I wrote my personal statement and while it hints at some "diversity" issues I've overcome (first generation student, low income), it is *not* a diversity statement. Will I need to create a statement that focuses on these issues as well as my being Mexican-American? Would that be helpful at all?
I'm a little stretched.
I've heard something about this, but I'm not sure about what the actuality of it is. Perhaps rozes or mcmand would have more insight. That said, looking at LSN, the URM graphs seem to be largely the same as the general pop graph, in that 164+ tends to get you accepted. Not sure how it plays into $$.
It's the result of a citizen initiative, I-200. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiative_200

You can have a personal statement and/or a diversity statement discussing your background, your ethnicity, your race, and/or your gender, or anything else that's relevant to you and why you want to go to law school and why you are a good candidate for UW.

The difference is that there is no explicit boost for race or gender when your application is considered. The admissions office is prohibited by law from weighing that as a factor, even if it's visible on the face of your application. The admissions folks do look at applications holistically, so they will look at your whole application. And a compelling essay based on your URM identity might help, but not because you are an URM; it would be because you wrote something compelling that articulated why you should be at UW Law.

Whether you "need" to create a diversity statement is up to you. If you felt like you didn't get to spend enough time on diversity in your personal statement, then sure, make one. You have to decide how you want to make sure your application conveys everything you want UW to know about you.

Does that make things clear? Or just clear as mud? It's a very difficult position the admissions folks are in for any state university program in Washington, because obviously applicants are going to talk about these issues in their applications, but admissions must walk a tight rope by not giving a boost for URM status itself.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Thanks for getting this thread started. Anyone know when UW's application will be up?

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Pewpew wrote:Thanks for getting this thread started. Anyone know when UW's application will be up?
31st I believe

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Go pack go :D

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:29 am

The app is live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:56 am

Checking in!

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 am

Checking in!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Anyone do the supplemental essays? I did my statement a couple months ago and totally spaced it until just now.

I like this question: •If you were asked to create a non-profit organization, what would be the organization, its mission, and its purpose?

But I also feel like it begs the question, "Well then why haven't you done this?" Is that just my interpretation? I am prone to over-functioning.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:26 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:Anyone do the supplemental essays? I did my statement a couple months ago and totally spaced it until just now.

I like this question: •If you were asked to create a non-profit organization, what would be the organization, its mission, and its purpose?

But I also feel like it begs the question, "Well then why haven't you done this?" Is that just my interpretation? I am prone to over-functioning.
Don't overthink it. They're not trying to set you up to then punish your application for failure to be the most amazing law school applicant ever.

Do whatever best reflects what you want to put forward in your application. If you want to answer that question, then answer it, with a well-written, candid response. If you think you can answer the other essays better, then do the same for them. If you're not sure, write out a draft for each and compare, then revise.

Don't make applying for law school more stressful than it already is! Save your brain for the crippling anxiety of actually being in law school.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pewpew

New

Post by Pewpew » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:48 pm

+1.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Anyone have any insight into how that 9k per year grad tuition assistance grant works? Is that a sure thing if you have no income the year before and are a WA resident (ie, 2L and 3L years)?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:40 pm

abujabal wrote:Anyone have any insight into how that 9k per year grad tuition assistance grant works? Is that a sure thing if you have no income the year before and are a WA resident (ie, 2L and 3L years)?
It was a sure thing for me after 1L year. But you'll have to take some initiative and ask during financial aid process 1L spring/summer to make sure it gets awarded to you.

Ask about it this coming spring, too, when you receive your award offer from admissions. I don't know the gory details on how to qualify, but Admissions will, so it's worth pressing the point to make sure money isn't being left on the table.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:33 pm

mcmand wrote:
abujabal wrote:Anyone have any insight into how that 9k per year grad tuition assistance grant works? Is that a sure thing if you have no income the year before and are a WA resident (ie, 2L and 3L years)?
It was a sure thing for me after 1L year. But you'll have to take some initiative and ask during financial aid process 1L spring/summer to make sure it gets awarded to you.

Ask about it this coming spring, too, when you receive your award offer from admissions. I don't know the gory details on how to qualify, but Admissions will, so it's worth pressing the point to make sure money isn't being left on the table.
Thanks! Definitely worth asking about - worst they can say is no I suppose

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

You guys are a quiet bunch this year, or perhaps not many people have submitted yet.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:18 pm

I've submitted but they don't start reviewing until November and won't send out decisions until December. Not much to say.

jellyjar

New

Post by jellyjar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Checking in!

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:22 pm

I haven't submitted. I feel like a goofus, I can't find a simple place to request a fee waiver. Do they give merit waivers? Can I request an income-based fee waiver? Much obliged to anyone with information who has emailed them or found an application for fee waiver requests.

I have just submitted to a couple safety schools thus far.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

audrinainlaw

New

Post by audrinainlaw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Checking in! Good luck to everyone!

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm

I realize that I never properly introduced myself on this thread. I'm a UW Law '17/UW '10 grad. I moved to California a couple of months ago, but I lived in Seattle for about 11 years, and in Washington state for 14 years total.

I lurk on these threads for any questions you might have about the city, UW generally, UW Law specifically, life after graduation, career advice, law school advice, application advice, etc.

I also try to be very fair about what UW can and can't be for people. UW offers lots of great opportunities and is a launching pad for many things. But it's not Yale and it's not a golden ticket to becoming the next David Boies. Still, if you've got a concern or source of confusion, ask for more information before making blanket statements/judgments. The irony of this process is that as applicants, you have very little information on which to base your decision. I'll try to give as much context, either with data or anecdotes, that I can to make it easier for you, whether you decide to come to UW or go elsewhere.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:00 pm

mcmand wrote:I realize that I never properly introduced myself on this thread. I'm a UW Law '17/UW '10 grad. I moved to California a couple of months ago, but I lived in Seattle for about 11 years, and in Washington state for 14 years total.

I lurk on these threads for any questions you might have about the city, UW generally, UW Law specifically, life after graduation, career advice, law school advice, application advice, etc.

I also try to be very fair about what UW can and can't be for people. UW offers lots of great opportunities and is a launching pad for many things. But it's not Yale and it's not a golden ticket to becoming the next David Boies. Still, if you've got a concern or source of confusion, ask for more information before making blanket statements/judgments. The irony of this process is that as applicants, you have very little information on which to base your decision. I'll try to give as much context, either with data or anecdotes, that I can to make it easier for you, whether you decide to come to UW or go elsewhere.
Thank you for sticking around for advice etc! Could you speak a little to how the quarter system may/may not affect things like internships and OCI? Did you ever feel like the education was rushed because of the quarters?

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:41 pm

abujabal wrote: Could you speak a little to how the quarter system may/may not affect things like internships and OCI? Did you ever feel like the education was rushed because of the quarters?
Upsides to quarters:
-A lot more course selection than most semester law schools. Ability to choose classes three times a year means if you miss a popular class one quarter, you'll have at least one or two more chances. Also means there are more seminars in niche subjects.
-It's over quickly. Things move fast but it's over in 10 weeks, which is nice, especially if you ended up not liking a class.
-Our late fall start (last week of September) means you usually have a solid 3-6 weeks off between end of your summer gig and starting class again, especially when you're a 2L. Some (not all, and usually not biglaw) employers may still want you to keep working, and if they're paying you, that means more money in your pocket.

Neutral aspects of quarters:
-If the employer wants you, they'll work with your schedule in most instances. Some don't, but in those situations, professors and academic services can usually figure something out for your circumstances. This is usually not a problem, though, as 1L summer employers have never appeared to complain to my knowledge about our late finish as 1Ls, and then spring quarter is shortened for 2L and 3L year so you finish in 8 weeks around mid-late May, and can usually start working by the last week of May/first week of June. Also, for local internships/externships during the school year for credit, everyone knows how UW works, so that's not a problem at all. Many of your supervisors will be UW Law or UW undergrad alums.
-Whether the class feels "rushed" depends on the subject and material. It is a quick pace, for sure, but you'll adapt to it. They also make the number of courses per quarter quite light for 1Ls, so while you're in class every day, you're not doing that for 4 or 5 classes: just 3. In other words, you'll be very intensely focusing on fewer subjects for the quarter. This will change 2L and 3L, but there are ways to balance your schedule with skills-based coursework and other kinds of classes to even things out.

Downsides to quarters:
-That 8 week spring quarter for 2Ls and 3Ls (not 1Ls) is VERY fast. Thankfully, by then, you've had 5 quarters under your belt to get used to pacing and can adapt. But proceed with caution before you sign up for more than one heavy duty class. There are always a few fools who take income tax in the spring 2L year, and they usually regret that aspect of it.
-It's harder to build in some downtime between ending spring quarter and starting your summer job. As a 1L, many local employers will let you start later into June, but some will want you as soon as you're done with finals. As a 2L, even ending mid-to-late May puts you right around when semester students are starting at employers, so many employers will expect the same, which means you won't have time off. Lastly, with bar prep after graduation, there usually isn't much downtime there either, since most bar prep courses mete things out starting around mid-to-late May. Barbri does give a week off, but it's still the same amount of material, just condensed into less time. You can mitigate this by doing externships or paper-only classes in the spring so you can manage your time more directly, but there's no real way around it.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abujabal

Bronze

Post by abujabal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks! Not something that's necessarily something to worry about yet, but I'm curious. This is great insight, thank you!

jellyjar

New

Post by jellyjar » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:55 pm

What's everyone's take on the supplemental questions? I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything for all of them (that is, anything that doesn't sound utterly contrived). I love UWash and could write pages on a "Why" essay, but the supplements don't seem to really allow for that. Are people actually doing them?

soljabunny

New

Post by soljabunny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:I haven't submitted. I feel like a goofus, I can't find a simple place to request a fee waiver. Do they give merit waivers? Can I request an income-based fee waiver? Much obliged to anyone with information who has emailed them or found an application for fee waiver requests.

I have just submitted to a couple safety schools thus far.
Attended an on-campus info session to try to get a few waiver. When I asked Dean Le after he said to email the admissions office and they would give me one. Sent a quick email with my numbers and they sent a fee waiver the next day!

soljabunny

New

Post by soljabunny » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:25 pm

mcmand wrote:I realize that I never properly introduced myself on this thread. I'm a UW Law '17/UW '10 grad. I moved to California a couple of months ago, but I lived in Seattle for about 11 years, and in Washington state for 14 years total.

How was the transition down to California? Recently moved to Seattle and really love it, but not positive I want to be here my whole career. Was it reasonably easy to transition to another state? All I’ve read so far makes it seem like UW is amazing in Seattle and mediocre if you ever want to work anywhere else.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”