Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How are y'all feeling?

Accepted, waitin on that scholly
34%
Accepted, ready to frolic through the Duke gardens
3%
Priority reserved but not feelin' like a priority :/
12%
Waiting on the adcoms to bless me with an RD acceptance
30%
IT'S DAY [X] AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING IS THAT NORMAL Y/N
17%
Haven't submitted, but I've got time
4%

Total votes: 172

rachelac

Bronze

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Post by rachelac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am

Do you guys think it's a terrible idea not to submit the CSS for Duke?
Here's my situation:
I've worked full time for 3+ years; my parents are not planning on giving me money for law school and we live 13 hours apart. They're super busy and it's hella inconvenient for them to get the paperwork for the CSS together. They also make a lot of money so the odds of qualifying for substantial need aid are small. On top of that, I have a full merit scholarship at a peer institution already, so unless I get a similar offer from Duke, it's unlikely I'd attend. I don't want NOT applying to reflect poorly on me since they recommend it so strongly, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for me. Anyone else not submitting the CSS?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:09 am

rachelac wrote:Do you guys think it's a terrible idea not to submit the CSS for Duke?
Here's my situation:
I've worked full time for 3+ years; my parents are not planning on giving me money for law school and we live 13 hours apart. They're super busy and it's hella inconvenient for them to get the paperwork for the CSS together. They also make a lot of money so the odds of qualifying for substantial need aid are small. On top of that, I have a full merit scholarship at a peer institution already, so unless I get a similar offer from Duke, it's unlikely I'd attend. I don't want NOT applying to reflect poorly on me since they recommend it so strongly, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for me. Anyone else not submitting the CSS?
Strongly considering this too. After UVA and possibly Michigan, I don’t really want to go through this level of effort. My parents don’t make a ton of money separately, but I do have three active parents (one step), and their three incomes combined could ruin my chance at any significant need aid.

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:43 am

principalagent wrote:
rachelac wrote:Do you guys think it's a terrible idea not to submit the CSS for Duke?
Here's my situation:
Strongly considering this too. After UVA and possibly Michigan, I don’t really want to go through this level of effort. My parents don’t make a ton of money separately, but I do have three active parents (one step), and their three incomes combined could ruin my chance at any significant need aid.
I'm in the exact same boat. CSS is a lot of work and with 3 parents and merit aid offers already, it just felt silly to fill out the CSS. I decided to just do the merit aid and hopefully they'll negotiate with me

evanrn

New

Post by evanrn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:47 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:
principalagent wrote:
Here's my situation:
I'm in the exact same boat. CSS is a lot of work and with 3 parents and merit aid offers already, it just felt silly to fill out the CSS. I decided to just do the merit aid and hopefully they'll negotiate with me
Same. But they're insistence that they *strongly recommend* us filling out both, I'm suspicious. I think I'm going to try to do the CSS but if it takes an absurd amount of effort I'll probably just skip it. I won't be able to fill it out until next Monday at the earliest as well, which I don't like.

urbandictionary

New

Post by urbandictionary » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Here's my situation:
If your parents make a lot of money do you think it reduces chances at merit aid in general? :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:24 pm

urbandictionary wrote:
Here's my situation:
If your parents make a lot of money do you think it reduces chances at merit aid in general? :shock:
I don't think so! I just think effort vs. return on need aid qualifications seems disproportionate

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 pm

rachelac wrote:
urbandictionary wrote:
Here's my situation:
I don't think so! I just think effort vs. return on need aid qualifications seems disproportionate
Income does not affect merit aid

Slawthschool

New

Post by Slawthschool » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:50 am

UR2 today! RD (non PT) applicant non URM, GPA > 75 LSAT slightly below median. Probably getting waitlisted but at least it's something.

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 pm

evanrn wrote:
virginia_direwoolf wrote:
principalagent wrote:
Here's my situation:
Same. But they're insistence that they *strongly recommend* us filling out both, I'm suspicious. I think I'm going to try to do the CSS but if it takes an absurd amount of effort I'll probably just skip it. I won't be able to fill it out until next Monday at the earliest as well, which I don't like.
I totally feel the same way. I started filling out CSS earlier in the week and was like "this is exhausting, I'll do it 'later'". Had a good week in terms of aid awards from UVa and UMich and now I just feel so unmotivated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:08 pm

I just submitted my CSS profile and I cannot BELIEVE that College Board is going to charge me money to tell them I'm broke

kay1541

New

Post by kay1541 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Waitlisted - NOT priority reserve

does anyone know the difference?

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 pm

kay1541 wrote:Waitlisted - NOT priority reserve

Did you apply through PT (Priority Track)? My impression is that Priority Reserve is just the waitlist for PT. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

kay1541

New

Post by kay1541 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm

chrysippusofsoli wrote:

Did you apply through PT (Priority Track)? My impression is that Priority Reserve is just the waitlist for PT. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I applied PT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Fml - I wasn't even really seriously considering Duke because it's so far away from my family, but the more I read about it, the more I love it... Like love it enough to consider EDII-ing it even though for a while my first-choice was Penn because my chances at the school are so SO slim

walks

New

Post by walks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:39 am

I submitted a PT application on 12/11 and got an e-mail that I'd have to wait until the New Years for a decision. I'm fine with that, but the status checker now says my app is under review. What's the chance I hear before Christmas?
Last edited by walks on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 am

kay1541 wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:

I applied PT
IIRC there are two tiers in the waitlist - priority reserve > regular waitlist

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 am

proteinshake wrote:
kay1541 wrote:
chrysippusofsoli wrote:

I applied PT
IIRC there are two tiers in the waitlist - priority reserve > regular waitlist
Good to know - thanks for the info!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pirate52

New

Post by Pirate52 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:56 am

Any updates on the ED front? Technically they have to give us a response by this Friday right? The contract says we will have an answer before December 31, but I am pretty sure that the University office shuts down on Friday the 23 until New Years. Any thoughts from you guys?

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:28 pm

How long are your guys' Why Dukes? I'm afraid my love letter to Duke has gotten out of hand. :shock:

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:32 pm

dietcoked wrote:How long are your guys' Why Dukes? I'm afraid my love letter to Duke has gotten out of hand. :shock:
One page

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Mine was like 1.5 double spaced

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:13 pm

How have RD people been doing with regards to complete--->UR? Been sitting at complete since 11/27. Not super long, I know, but I've barely seen any movement on any of my applications this month.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:17 pm

mwells56 wrote:How have RD people been doing with regards to complete--->UR? Been sitting at complete since 11/27. Not super long, I know, but I've barely seen any movement on any of my applications this month.
Complete 10/30, UR1 11/13. Nothing since.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:18 pm

blackmamba8 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:How have RD people been doing with regards to complete--->UR? Been sitting at complete since 11/27. Not super long, I know, but I've barely seen any movement on any of my applications this month.
I feel like between ED and PT, Duke RD apps probably take especially long if you submit early on.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:21 pm

mwells56 wrote:
blackmamba8 wrote:
I feel like between ED and PT, Duke RD apps probably take especially long if you submit early on.
Yeah that's how it seems from following this thread. I remember reading not to expect much from Duke until January if you're RD.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”