Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How are y'all feeling?

Accepted, waitin on that scholly
34%
Accepted, ready to frolic through the Duke gardens
3%
Priority reserved but not feelin' like a priority :/
12%
Waiting on the adcoms to bless me with an RD acceptance
30%
IT'S DAY [X] AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING IS THAT NORMAL Y/N
17%
Haven't submitted, but I've got time
4%

Total votes: 172

PWADatUNC

New

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Post by PWADatUNC » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:20 pm

My checker has changed to Decision Made; watch for email! Now comes the constant refreshing

wsn9920

New

Post by wsn9920 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:38 pm

light_roast_covfefe wrote:Anyone hear anything on the ED front?
Nothing more than going UR on 11/13!

Pirate52

New

Post by Pirate52 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:00 pm

wsn9920 wrote:
Same here. Submitted ED on 10/31, went UR on 11/13. I wonder how long the ED reviews usually take?

Log Lady

New

Post by Log Lady » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Log Lady wrote:I'm super stressing. I applied PT and was supposed to hear back early this week. Day 10, first thing in the morning, I got a request for more information- basically for an explanation of an anomalous semester of terrible grades. I responded within the hour and the admissions person said he would add the explanation to my file and continue to review it... now I don't know what to expect. Has anyone heard of something similar happen? Are all bets off for PT now and the timeline could be anything? Should I consider it a reset and give it another 10 days before I start to worry?

Stats are 178/3.65 for what it's worth. Wrote a Why Duke. Status checker says under review with the updated date (so, UR2 I guess). I know the answer is probably just sit back and relax, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a situation like this.

(This also prompted me to send in a grade addendum to all my other submitted apps. Yikes. Hope that one terrible semester doesn't kill my chances, I'd like to go back in time and give myself a good shake).
Update- heard back today, Priority Reserve. So only a few days delayed. Slightly disappointing, but could be worse of course. Ah well!

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:20 pm

austinlove wrote:checking in. complete 11/13. UR today. PT
Priority track !
Last edited by austinlove on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:26 pm

austinlove wrote:
austinlove wrote:checking in. complete 11/13. UR today. PT
UR 2 on the 17th! Is that too fast? Good / bad??
Shhhhh, nothing is too fast or too slow, just take deep breaths for the next few days. I know this is super stressful

wsq01

New

Post by wsq01 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:00 am

Pirate52 wrote:
wsn9920 wrote:
Same here. Submitted ED on 10/31, went UR on 11/13. I wonder how long the ED reviews usually take?
Someone on lsn got accepted ED on 11/17.
That person completed (maybe s/he meant UR?) 11/08 (kinda suprised about how I actually submitted earlier but went UR later...)
Anyone knows if they work next week?

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

has anyone seen movement today?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

When do they move on the Priority Reserve?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

P55

New

Post by P55 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:13 pm

austinlove wrote:has anyone seen movement today?
Yep. 10th day of PT. Went from UR1-> Decision Made, this afternoon. I got the Acceptance email an hour later.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 pm

/
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:32 am

Platopus wrote:Trying to find motivation for my Why Duke... Still not going well. Am I late by now? I feel kinda late...
before Thanksgiving is early.

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Any thoughts on when the PR ones that fall during Thanksgiving will be done? I hoped it would be early...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Log Lady wrote:
Log Lady wrote:I'm super stressing. I applied PT and was supposed to hear back early this week. Day 10, first thing in the morning, I got a request for more information- basically for an explanation of an anomalous semester of terrible grades. I responded within the hour and the admissions person said he would add the explanation to my file and continue to review it... now I don't know what to expect. Has anyone heard of something similar happen? Are all bets off for PT now and the timeline could be anything? Should I consider it a reset and give it another 10 days before I start to worry?

Stats are 178/3.65 for what it's worth. Wrote a Why Duke. Status checker says under review with the updated date (so, UR2 I guess). I know the answer is probably just sit back and relax, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a situation like this.

(This also prompted me to send in a grade addendum to all my other submitted apps. Yikes. Hope that one terrible semester doesn't kill my chances, I'd like to go back in time and give myself a good shake).
Update- heard back today, Priority Reserve. So only a few days delayed. Slightly disappointing, but could be worse of course. Ah well!
you got waitlisted with a 178? Wow duke, trying to be stanford now are we?

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Log Lady wrote:

I think this is a clear YP. Which I'm sure makes Log Lady feel good!

Log Lady

New

Post by Log Lady » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
Log Lady wrote:

I think this is a clear YP. Which I'm sure makes Log Lady feel good!
Thanks! I hope you are right. The whole grade addendum thing threw me off so I don't feel as great about it. I wasn't really thinking I'd get caught in YP with GPA below median for the whole T14 but who knows, the whole process is feeling very bewildering right now lol.

But anyway, for now I'm just going to decide to think about it as YP and feel good about it!

JamesBlahDeBlah

Bronze

Post by JamesBlahDeBlah » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:51 pm

A fun thing to think / worry about. How much do you think they take email engagement into account with regards to admittance / scholarship? I just noticed today that the links they send in their emails containing information about what's going on at the school are tracker links (meaning they can tell if you click on them or not).
Last edited by JamesBlahDeBlah on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:43 pm

UR today, non-PT, not ED.

Teacher

New

Post by Teacher » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Just submitted my PT app! I promised myself I’d get a few apps in before Thanksgiving, and I just made it!

Menchie

New

Post by Menchie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 pm

JamesBlahDeBlah wrote:A fun thing to think / worry about. How much do you think they take email engagement into account with regards to admittance / scholarship? I just noticed today that the links they send in their emails containing information about what's going on at the school are tracker links (meaning they can tell if you click on them or not).
Wow, I didn't even notice until I read your post. Good catch. Any word on how visiting between admittance and scholly determination will affect things?

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:13 pm

How important is a Why Duke? I'm all over their website and can't seem to find enough to fill up more than like a paragraph, which I would just include in my PS instead of writing an entire addendum.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

P55

New

Post by P55 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:21 pm

mwells56 wrote:How important is a Why Duke? I'm all over their website and can't seem to find enough to fill up more than like a paragraph, which I would just include in my PS instead of writing an entire addendum.
I just got in without writing one. I put in a short blurb at the end of my personal statement about what I’d want to do at Duke, and I wrote a Diversity statement about a unique life experience. However, based off of the many comments I’ve seen here, I’d say not writing a Why Duke can be risky. Just make sure the things you do write are strong if you decide against it.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:24 pm

P55 wrote:
mwells56 wrote:How important is a Why Duke? I'm all over their website and can't seem to find enough to fill up more than like a paragraph, which I would just include in my PS instead of writing an entire addendum.
I just got in without writing one. I put in a short blurb at the end of my personal statement about what I’d want to do at Duke, and I wrote a Diversity statement about a unique life experience. However, based off of the many comments I’ve seen here, I’d say not writing a Why Duke can be risky. Just make sure the things you do write are strong if you decide against it.
I'm already borderline with a 168/3.74, but I just feel like anything I'd say wouldn't be genuine. With all the other schools I've been able to latch on to something like location or a specific program or something. With Duke I feel like there's not enough info on their website/nothing specific enough about them to warrant an entire essay from me. I just wrote a little paragraph talking about their good placement in NY and clerkships, not sure if I really got anything beyond that.

mliaw

New

Post by mliaw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Hey guys. I applied through the Priority Track and heard back today, and was placed on Priority Reserve. I am having trouble interpreting this decision, and would really appreciate some help. Through looking at other applicants from this cycle as well as previous cycles, it seems that many applicants who were placed on Priority Reserve were victims of yield protection, with high 170+ LSAT scores, respectable GPAs (3.4 to 3.7), and did not write a Why Duke Essay.

However, I do not believe that I fall into this category of yield protection. I have a 168 LSAT score and 3.95 GPA (from a Top 25 University), I wrote a Why Duke essay, and I believe that I have decent soft factors.

Could someone please clarify whether or not I was placed on Priority Reserve due to yield protection, and if not, what this implies? Additionally, I applied to practically every T14 as well as USC and UCLA, and am concerned what this means for my chances at other, higher-ranked schools.

Thanks and best of luck to all of you!!

P.S.
On a related note, does yield protection only apply to an applicant whose LSAT score is too high, or does yield protection also affect applicants whose GPA is too high?

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:22 pm

mliaw wrote:Hey guys. I applied through the Priority Track and heard back today, and was placed on Priority Reserve. I am having trouble interpreting this decision, and would really appreciate some help. Through looking at other applicants from this cycle as well as previous cycles, it seems that many applicants who were placed on Priority Reserve were victims of yield protection, with high 170+ LSAT scores, respectable GPAs (3.4 to 3.7), and did not write a Why Duke Essay.

However, I do not believe that I fall into this category of yield protection. I have a 168 LSAT score and 3.95 GPA (from a Top 25 University), I wrote a Why Duke essay, and I believe that I have decent soft factors.

Could someone please clarify whether or not I was placed on Priority Reserve due to yield protection, and if not, what this implies? Additionally, I applied to practically every T14 as well as USC and UCLA, and am concerned what this means for my chances at other, higher-ranked schools.

Thanks and best of luck to all of you!!

P.S.
On a related note, does yield protection only apply to an applicant whose LSAT score is too high, or does yield protection also affect applicants whose GPA is too high?
I don’t think anyone can tell you definitively whether or not YP was a factor. People admitted by PT this cycle have been all over the board, including many with numbers over 75th for both LSAT and GPA. The reality is that there is no magic formula. Law school, grad school, etc - numbers are important but not everything, and an applicant that shines for one school may not spark the same enthusiasm in another. This in no way determines what will happen through your cycle...and you’ll very possibly be offered a spot at Duke! Just try not to stress too much (and I realize how tough that is / I have many crazy moments). Best of luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”