Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

How are y'all feeling?

Accepted, waitin on that scholly
34%
Accepted, ready to frolic through the Duke gardens
3%
Priority reserved but not feelin' like a priority :/
12%
Waiting on the adcoms to bless me with an RD acceptance
30%
IT'S DAY [X] AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING IS THAT NORMAL Y/N
17%
Haven't submitted, but I've got time
4%

Total votes: 172

Bojack93

New

Re: Duke c/o 2021 Applicants (2017/18)

Post by Bojack93 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 pm

spicysalmonroll wrote:is there any point in applying priority track at this point? just got the invite but it's also january and i assume most people have already applied??..
They sent you the invite...if you don't want a decision in 10 days, don't apply priority track.

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Got a few waiver email tonight. The end of the first paragraph mentions the priority track deadline as February 15th, but doesn't really say I'm invited to apply PT. What should I take that as?

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 pm

Eleven wrote:Got a few waiver email tonight. The end of the first paragraph mentions the priority track deadline as February 15th, but doesn't really say I'm invited to apply PT. What should I take that as?
Doesn’t sound like a PT invite; my fee waiver was in the PT invite email, and not the other way around.

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 am

I wish I was better at this Why X ordeal. Especially since Duke is my first choice. Their programs are so well suited to what I want to do but I just can't put it into words. Maybe a list. But not words.

I've never been able to write a good love letter to anyone. Now that's coming back to haunt me.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:32 am

Oneanddone? wrote:I wish I was better at this Why X ordeal. Especially since Duke is my first choice. Their programs are so well suited to what I want to do but I just can't put it into words. Maybe a list. But not words.

I've never been able to write a good love letter to anyone. Now that's coming back to haunt me.
Write drunk, edit less drunk

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anacabana

New

Post by anacabana » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 am

Last edited by anacabana on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ersd27106

New

Post by ersd27106 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 am

I don't know how the CSS is supposed to apply for those who are financially independent from their parents.. did you all just fill in their info to the best of your knowledge? also is there a deadline for that stuff?

azd416122

New

Post by azd416122 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm

anacabana wrote:Is there anyone else who went complete mid-November non-PT and still not under review?

The process with Duke it starting to make me feel kind’ve bad, I didn’t realize by being non-PT I’d be put all the way on the back burner. :(
YES! ME! SAME!

banecat

New

Post by banecat » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:18 pm

ersd27106 wrote:I don't know how the CSS is supposed to apply for those who are financially independent from their parents.. did you all just fill in their info to the best of your knowledge? also is there a deadline for that stuff?
I'm also trying to figure this out - I've been financially independent from my parents for nearly a decade, but the CSS profile doesn't seem to even allow that someone might be living apart from them.

I called the fin aid office last before the holiday to try to figure out the best way to handle it - they said fill out the info to the best of my knowledge and just explain in the special circumstances. Given the amount of specificity around the parental income questions and the fact that my parents have point blank both refused to provide any aid or info, I'm not sure I'll even be able to fill this out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:43 pm

banecat wrote:
ersd27106 wrote:I don't know how the CSS is supposed to apply for those who are financially independent from their parents.. did you all just fill in their info to the best of your knowledge? also is there a deadline for that stuff?
I'm also trying to figure this out - I've been financially independent from my parents for nearly a decade, but the CSS profile doesn't seem to even allow that someone might be living apart from them.

I called the fin aid office last before the holiday to try to figure out the best way to handle it - they said fill out the info to the best of my knowledge and just explain in the special circumstances. Given the amount of specificity around the parental income questions and the fact that my parents have point blank both refused to provide any aid or info, I'm not sure I'll even be able to fill this out.
I'm having this exact issue for Duke and a couple other schools and really have no idea what to do. My parents are not going to give me their financial info or tax returns or anything of that nature, which makes completing the CSS profile with any accuracy pretty much impossible.

I've pretty much given up on being able to get scholarships from certain schools because there's no way for me to do it, as far as I can tell.

walks

New

Post by walks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:21 pm

spicysalmonroll wrote:
walks wrote:
sev wrote:
walks wrote:I submitted a PT application on 12/11 and got an e-mail that I'd have to wait until the New Years for a decision. I'm fine with that, but the status checker now says my app is under review. What's the chance I hear before Christmas?
Don't have an answer for you, but I submitted same day (maybe 12/12? it was around midnight). Just went UR2 so my hopes are officially up.
Keep your hopes up; I was just admitted! PT applications submitted 2 weeks before Christmas can apparently still get <10-day decisions.

Applied 12/11, UR1 12/12, UR2 12/15, accepted 12/20
did you write a 'why duke?'
Yes, but it was pretty short.
Last edited by walks on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solennita

New

Post by solennita » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:15 pm

andysimbi wrote:
banecat wrote:

I'm having this exact issue for Duke and a couple other schools and really have no idea what to do. My parents are not going to give me their financial info or tax returns or anything of that nature, which makes completing the CSS profile with any accuracy pretty much impossible.

I've pretty much given up on being able to get scholarships from certain schools because there's no way for me to do it, as far as I can tell.
Based on what I was able to gather, I just filled in whatever info I had (I have their names and emails for example) and put no or “0” for a response in everything related to my parents information. In special circumstances, I explained that Ive been financially independent from my parents and they refused to provide me with all of their information.
Last edited by solennita on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ersd27106

New

Post by ersd27106 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:07 pm

solennita wrote:
andysimbi wrote:
banecat wrote:

Based on what I was able to gather, I just filled in whatever info I had (I have their names and emails for example) and put no or “0” for a response in everything related to my parents information. In special circumstances, I explained that Ive been financially independent from my parents and they refused to provide me with all of their information.
this approach seems reasonable. if anyone's done this and had success let me know

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zhyunjc

New

Post by zhyunjc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm

For those applying through priority track, I was just wondering - do responses tend to come toward the end of the 10-day window, or at really any time throughout? Thanks for reading!

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:27 pm

zhyunjc wrote:For those applying through priority track, I was just wondering - do responses tend to come toward the end of the 10-day window, or at really any time throughout? Thanks for reading!
Towards the end. It seems like no one (at least not since very early on in the cycle) has heard earlier than day 7, and most people here heard day 9-10.

virginia_direwoolf

Bronze

Post by virginia_direwoolf » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Bump for new poll...also scholarships interviews should be starting this week! Update us with how it goes

ncgirl

New

Post by ncgirl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 pm

ersd27106 wrote:
solennita wrote:
andysimbi wrote:
banecat wrote:

this approach seems reasonable. if anyone's done this and had success let me know
I'm doing the same- filling in 0/no for parents information and explaining in special circumstances. It is annoying that the form doesn't acknowledge people who are financially independent from parents.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:25 pm

virginia_direwoolf wrote:Bump for new poll...also scholarships interviews should be starting this week! Update us with how it goes
I'm doing my interview 1/12, so if anyone has sample questions it would be much appreciated.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:46 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
virginia_direwoolf wrote:Bump for new poll...also scholarships interviews should be starting this week! Update us with how it goes
I'm doing my interview 1/12, so if anyone has sample questions it would be much appreciated.
Why Law?
Why Duke?
What areas of law interests you?
Ability to talk about yourself and your resume.
Option to specify anything that might not be in the CSS and Scholarship Form (ex. "my parents aren't helping").

neuroclass

New

Post by neuroclass » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:53 pm

azd416122 wrote:
anacabana wrote:Is there anyone else who went complete mid-November non-PT and still not under review?

The process with Duke it starting to make me feel kind’ve bad, I didn’t realize by being non-PT I’d be put all the way on the back burner. :(
YES! ME! SAME!

Been complete since early December~ Still not under review either!

JS2hopeful

New

Post by JS2hopeful » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Just scheduled my interview and all of the slots were filled until nearly mid-February. Beating myself up for taking so long to schedule. Does anyone know the commonality of receiving reduced scholarship due to it being mid-February rather than mid-January, or is mid-February still relatively early in the scholarship game?

Also, how is Duke's generosity compared to MVP?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm

JS2hopeful wrote:Just scheduled my interview and all of the slots were filled until nearly mid-February. Beating myself up for taking so long to schedule. Does anyone know the commonality of receiving reduced scholarship due to it being mid-February rather than mid-January, or is mid-February still relatively early in the scholarship game?

1) you're fine 2) usually much more generous when you take CoL into account, but sometimes this can depend on numbers (ex. UVA might be more generous to a splitter than Duke)

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:49 pm

JS2hopeful wrote:Just scheduled my interview and all of the slots were filled until nearly mid-February. Beating myself up for taking so long to schedule. Does anyone know the commonality of receiving reduced scholarship due to it being mid-February rather than mid-January, or is mid-February still relatively early in the scholarship game?

Duke and Michigan give scholarship to the the majority of students, typically in the form of <50% tuition.
Penn and UVA give scholarships to a smaller % of students, but the ones who get them tend to get more than 2/3 tuition

hermanberk

New

Post by hermanberk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Hey everyone I have a kind of neurotic question. Did anyone sign up for a Mordecai interview via skype? I live on the West Coast so I opted for a skype interview instead of on-campus since I wasn't sure when I'd be able to visit and I didn't want to push back the interview too far, but now I feel like that was a stupid decision because obviously an in-person interview would be preferable to a skype one and I do plan on visiting! Did I ruin my chances of getting the scholarship by opting for the online interview? Should I schedule a flight to NC as soon as possible? My interview is at the start of the upcoming week so it's too late to reschedule.

Bojack93

New

Post by Bojack93 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:15 pm

hermanberk wrote:Hey everyone I have a kind of neurotic question. Did anyone sign up for a Mordecai interview via skype? I live on the West Coast so I opted for a skype interview instead of on-campus since I wasn't sure when I'd be able to visit and I didn't want to push back the interview too far, but now I feel like that was a stupid decision because obviously an in-person interview would be preferable to a skype one and I do plan on visiting! Did I ruin my chances of getting the scholarship by opting for the online interview? Should I schedule a flight to NC as soon as possible? My interview is at the start of the upcoming week so it's too late to reschedule.
No. I have no data to back this up but I would imagine most people do skype. You're fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”