International Applicants 2017-2018 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Did you already apply? (If so, fill in the spreadsheet in the first post!)

YES!
71%
No (waiting for evaluations/LORs/...)
16%
No (waiting for December LSAT)
13%

Total votes: 56

InterLaw

Bronze

Re: International Applicants 2017-2018

Post by InterLaw » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Last edited by InterLaw on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haburo

New

Post by Haburo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Last edited by Haburo on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haburo

New

Post by Haburo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 pm

I am absolutely not an expert but maybe just write an addendum ^
Haburo wrote:
SamuelJ.H wrote:CAS (credential assembly service) is literally just that, a service which assembles and presents your credentials in coherent fashion to x, y, z law schools you eventually decide to apply to. It's the equivalent (for British folks) of the UCAS prior to undergrad.

In any case, you need to follow the steps outlined on LSAC but broadly speaking:
- create an LSAC account
- request transcripts from your undergrad. institution and get them sent to LSAC
- pay for the CAS (and they will automatically get translated)

Around the same time think about your LOR.
I really appreciate your reply. Thank you!

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Haburo wrote:
SamuelJ.H wrote: (and they will automatically get translated)
actually, you'll need to provide a translation to CAS. CAS didn't do much for me. They reported my GPA that is stated in a letter from my school and gave an evaluation based on a country assessment (which is horrible because most universities in my country grade on a curve and mine doesn't). I could rant about CAS evaluation for a whole day.

SamuelJ.H

New

Post by SamuelJ.H » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:04 am

^CAS outsource the transcript evaluation to professional credential firms...any 'translation' you provide will either be set aside given they specifically have a policy whereby any and all transcript information must come directly from an authorised office of the institution (which you are not) or your 'translation' will be sent along with your transcript and overlooked or confirmed by the firm.

My suspicion is that your transcript was quite rare? In any case, don't overlook the possibility that your translation was quickly done away with...as I strongly suspect it was.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:11 pm

SamuelJ.H wrote:^CAS outsource the transcript evaluation to professional credential firms...any 'translation' you provide will either be set aside given they specifically have a policy whereby any and all transcript information must come directly from an authorised office of the institution (which you are not) or your 'translation' will be sent along with your transcript and overlooked or confirmed by the firm.

My suspicion is that your transcript was quite rare? In any case, don't overlook the possibility that your translation was quickly done away with...as I strongly suspect it was.
It says specifically on the Lsac page that a translation needs to be included "All international educational records must be submitted in the original language. If the transcript or other required documents are not in English, a translation must be included." In conjunction with the requirement that the transcript had to be provided by the University directly, I took it to mean that the translation needed to be provided by the University as well and included in the same stamped envelope. That's what I had my University send, and the translation is included in the CAS report along with the original.

SamuelJ.H

New

Post by SamuelJ.H » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 pm

When I used the word translation it was with regards to the value a foreign transcript will be deemed to have (i.e. CAS will translate foreign credentials to native credentials or the typology they have set out for us: superior, AA, A, BA). The manner in which you are using the term is a linguistic translation...we have misunderstood each other but the advice I gave to OP holds...CAS does not require a credential translation because that is their prerogative...whether or not they need a linguistic translation is a whole other matter..

Piggy11

New

Post by Piggy11 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I wouldn't spend any time translating/explaining the grading system - they won't care.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Piggy11 wrote:Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense. I wouldn't spend any time translating/explaining the grading system - they won't care.
SamuelJ.H wrote:When I used the word translation it was with regards to the value a foreign transcript will be deemed to have (i.e. CAS will translate foreign credentials to native credentials or the typology they have set out for us: superior, AA, A, BA). The manner in which you are using the term is a linguistic translation...we have misunderstood each other but the advice I gave to OP holds...CAS does not require a credential translation because that is their prerogative...whether or not they need a linguistic translation is a whole other matter..
Avoiding a pissing contest on what you meant vs what I meant, and trying to get down to useful advice for applicants with foreign transcripts that are not in English.

You have to:
- Create the LSAC account;
- Pay the CAS fee;
- Have your college send the original transcript directly;
- Send a translation of the transcript (or have your college send a translation if you can); and
- Get angry when they produce the report which assumes that every school in your entire country grades the same way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 pm

SamuelJ.H wrote:^CAS outsource the transcript evaluation to professional credential firms...any 'translation' you provide will either be set aside given they specifically have a policy whereby any and all transcript information must come directly from an authorised office of the institution (which you are not) or your 'translation' will be sent along with your transcript and overlooked or confirmed by the firm.

Nope. The translation that I gave them is attached to the CAS report that they made, along with the transcript and a letter sent by my. And I'm telling you: CAS did nothing. They copy-pasted the grade average and class rank that my school provided into the report and then used a a country-wide grade key from 2007 to say "above average." That seems to me that diligence was done with my file. Since I'm kinda highly ranked in my class (like >10%) and my school is teh moft preftigious school in my country. It takes a google search to find that out.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:07 pm

SamuelJ.H wrote:When I used the word translation it was with regards to the value a foreign transcript will be deemed to have (i.e. CAS will translate foreign credentials to native credentials or the typology they have set out for us: superior, AA, A, BA). The manner in which you are using the term is a linguistic translation...we have misunderstood each other but the advice I gave to OP holds...CAS does not require a credential translation because that is their prerogative...whether or not they need a linguistic translation is a whole other matter..
Oh nm. I missed the part that the question was from an UK applicant and you were talking about translation of grades. Yeah, don't waste a second doing that. They'll throw that away. But for applicants with transcript that is not in English, you need to translate the name of the classes.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:02 am

albanach wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
albanach wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
UVA. This is painful. Why? What did we do to you? I wanted to go there so much… But man! ABA says 3.7 n/r aliens a year (lowest) and 0 unreported GPAs (lowest). MYlsn says 13.64% a.r. (2nd lowest, 6/44), 0% mid acceptance rate (lowest, 0/17!). If you really want to go to Charlottesville (bad timing for that), just apply early (33%, 5/15) and hope. If you are a full international (you don’t have a GPA) start considering other options.
Admittedly I was in the class of 2014, so admission was a while ago now, but I had no problem with UVA handling my application. I was ED for various reasons that made sense in the mad world that existed back then, but I was accepted inside 24 hours of applying.
Well that is a great news, even though those numbers are still less than encouraging... Would you mind sharing a bit more about your app, like numbers or geographic provenience? Did you attend college in the US?

But most of all: are you glad of your choice? Would you recommend it to us?
Sure, I attended an average school (far from Oxbridge or even LSE) in the UK. Graduated with a 2:2. Classified as above average.

Non traditional applicant, so lots of work experience. No nobel prizes or anything like that. LSAT was 173. I was, however, in-state at the time of applying.

As for whether I would recommend UVA? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. I loved my three years there, the atmosphere is incredibly collegial. Professors are brilliant, engaging and genuinely want you to enjoy your time studying.

If you're looking at other schools, ask some alumni if they had fun and enjoyed their time at law school. Hopefully the answer is yes, because UVA demonstrates in class after class that s great legal education doesn't have to be miserable.
Here's what I was talking about:
rowdy wrote: Image
0/169 international applicants admitted last year.

makingthemove

New

Post by makingthemove » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:17 am

Their ABA disclosure said that they had a total of 11 non-resident aliens per class as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:50 am

makingthemove wrote:Their ABA disclosure said that they had a total of 11 non-resident aliens per class as well.
Which means that their only international students are those who actually own a US Bachelor's degree. In terms of admissions, they don't count as international though (they rin with GPA and LSAT!)

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:37 pm

Of the 169, only 50 or so would be competitive for UVAs LSAT. A chunk of those would have high GPAs and UVA certainly yield protects when it comes to admissions. So we might only be looking at about 30 folk total.

Now remember that 4 in 10 of UVAs admissions go to in state applicants. It's a hard school to be admitted to.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:50 pm

albanach wrote:Of the 169, only 50 or so would be competitive for UVAs LSAT. A chunk of those would have high GPAs and UVA certainly yield protects when it comes to admissions. So we might only be looking at about 30 folk total.

Now remember that 4 in 10 of UVAs admissions go to in state applicants. It's a hard school to be admitted to.
I agree on the fact that we can narrow the pool to 50ish applicants which would be above median LSAT. 44 of them are above 75th LSAT. 0/44 of those above 75th LSAT cannot be explained by YP or in-state bias. Not even 2 or 3 of them had an interesting profile? There is a clear difference between a school with a low admission rate and a school with 0 admission rate!

We don't have that graph for any other t14, but speaking of enrolled students with "no gpa" (2016 entry) the situation is:

H: 26
Cornell: 22
GULC: 19
NU: 16
Columbia: 11
Mich: 7

(ABA source)

The only schools with 0 "no gpa" enrolled are Vandy (which I bet actually admitted some), UVA and UPenn.

tsf

New

Post by tsf » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Hey everyone, just checking in!
Have a 175(3rd try) and superior eval from lsac. Really REALLY want to get into Harvard...not quite sure if that's enough. Not much else I can do at this point though, soooo here's to hoping :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:43 am

tsf wrote:Hey everyone, just checking in!
Have a 175(3rd try) and superior eval from lsac. Really REALLY want to get into Harvard...not quite sure if that's enough. Not much else I can do at this point though, soooo here's to hoping :)
I forgot to answer you on the H thread. You DEFINITELY have a shot. However, the hardest thing might be to explain why do you want to do fo a JD after a LLM!

Also, I'm currently in the UK, do you mind sharing where do you study? (PM me if you prefer)

tsf

New

Post by tsf » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:43 am

InterLaw wrote:
I forgot to answer you on the H thread. You DEFINITELY have a shot. However, the hardest thing might be to explain why do you want to do fo a JD after a LLM!

Also, I'm currently in the UK, do you mind sharing where do you study? (PM me if you prefer)

Yeah, I do have my reasons for choosing a JD...hope they're persuasive enough!
I go to Cambridge here in the uk :)

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 am

tsf wrote:
InterLaw wrote:

Yeah, I do have my reasons for choosing a JD...hope they're persuasive enough!
I go to Cambridge here in the uk :)
If your undergrad is from Cambridge/Oxford, I'd say you have a 70+% chance at Harvard.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:15 am

Double post to say that:

A) New poll!

B) I started the spreadsheet, it is in the first post right below the image! If you already applied, you can start filling in the schools to which you are applying to!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:45 am

I've been finding it hard to get fee waivers from some schools, ostensibly because of my lack of GPA. As in, I haven't received waivers (even after requests) from schools that usually hand them out to applicants with my LSAT or lower. I got ghosted by Georgetown Law after they replied to my waiver request asking for my transcript evaluation, and I told them its AA.

This isn't meant as a complaint, it's just the way it is. But I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

twtwtwtw

New

Post by twtwtwtw » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 am

Same. 172/S here but haven't got any unsolicited waiver from any T13 school. Solicited and denied/ignored by Chicago, NYU, Penn, Berkeley, Cornell, Texas...

EnglishApplicant2017

New

Post by EnglishApplicant2017 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:48 am

I got unsolicited fee waivers from Penn and Cornell and solicited Northwestern, Michigan and a couple of T20s. Haven't got my grade evaluation yet (grrrr, been waiting weeks!)/172. Georgetown told me to get back to them with my evaluation so waiting for that. Anyone had any luck with CCN? Was planning on holding off until I get my evaluation and hoping some fee waivers fall from the sky but maybe that's in vain...

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 am

I got:

Unsolicited from UPenn, Vandy, WUSTL, (W&M)
Solicited from UVA, Michigan, Duke, Northwestern, GULC, UCLA, (UW).
Redirected to the CRS service from CCN (as anyone else on this forum I think, with maybe the exception of NYU) and Cornell (where I really want to apply but it's a matter of principle at this point!).

172/S. Also, I solicited in late August fwiw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”