HELP!! Withdrawing my application,after intent to enroll. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
latinxlawschool2020

New

HELP!! Withdrawing my application,after intent to enroll.

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi all. I applied to law schools this year, got into one and sent in my intent to attend. However I've recently gone through illness/financial issues and won't be able to attend law school at all :(. I am reapplying next year though! Whats a kind way to let my school ( Georgetown law ) know that I will not be attending this fall. I don't want to defer because one of the reasons I won't be able to attend also is because they are not giving me any money.
I am low income, URM.

Im trying to write a draft but its hard, I want to let them know I'll be reapplying to their school again.

Although Georgetown was not my top choice I was willing to go if they gave me money.

I was waitlisted at UPenn, Chicago, Columbia, UCLA and Texas
Last edited by latinxlawschool2020 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

34iplaw

Gold

Re: HELP!! Withdrawing my application,after intent to enroll.

Post by 34iplaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 pm

If you want someone to read it over, feel free to PM me.

I'm not an expert on this but can tell you if something reads oddly. That said, I can't imagine it'd be held against you in your circumstances.

Either way, I'm sorry to hear about the circumstances and hope it works out as well as possible. Best of luck next cycle as well.

lawlife64

New

Post by lawlife64 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:01 am

latinxlawschool2020 wrote:Hi all. I applied to law schools this year, got into one and sent in my intent to attend. However I've recently gone through illness/financial issues and won't be able to attend law school at all :(. I am reapplying next year though! Whats a kind way to let my school ( Georgetown law ) know that I will not be attending this fall. I don't want to defer because one of the reasons I won't be able to attend also is because they are not giving me any money.
I am low income, URM.

Im trying to write a draft but its hard, I want to let them know I'll be reapplying to their school again.
I would just be as transparent as possible and say that personal matters have come up and health/financial related issues have led you to reconsider attending this year, but that you look forward to reapplying next year. It sucks that many students can't attend grad school because of the massive financial burden it would place on them, and schools should continue to be reminded of that.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:39 am

Sucks OP. You know Tiffany Trump would have been your 1L classmate. You should have enrolled and tried everything possible to impregnate her. And have her pay you child support for 18 years. Imagine the child support she would pay after Daddy secures her a $250K legal job.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:46 am

You're probably overthinking this just a bit. People withdraw for many reasons every year, and the school will not take offense to you dropping out, regardless of the reason. So just send a polite email that you have decided that attending law school this fall is not in your best interest, that you thank them for the opportunity, and you hope to be able to attend law school (note: make clear you are not committing to attending GULC specifically) at some point in the future, but right now it is not financially or professionally feasible.

They'll then scratch your name off their list and decide whether to offer someone off the WL. It won't be a big deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Sucks OP. You know Tiffany Trump would have been your 1L classmate. You should have enrolled and tried everything possible to impregnate her. And have her pay you child support for 18 years. Imagine the child support she would pay after Daddy secures her a $250K legal job.
This is gross and rapey
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 pm

OP have you considered asking if you could defer until next year? This might be a good option if you are happy with your current school and they let you keep your scholarships. That way you won't have to worry about reapplying and possibly getting a different outcome next cycle.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:OP have you considered asking if you could defer until next year? This might be a good option if you are happy with your current school and they let you keep your scholarships. That way you won't have to worry about reapplying and possibly getting a different outcome next cycle.
If you read the OP more carefully, GULC is not giving them any money

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:33 pm

stego wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:OP have you considered asking if you could defer until next year? This might be a good option if you are happy with your current school and they let you keep your scholarships. That way you won't have to worry about reapplying and possibly getting a different outcome next cycle.
My RC is terrible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Sucks OP. You know Tiffany Trump would have been your 1L classmate. You should have enrolled and tried everything possible to impregnate her. And have her pay you child support for 18 years. Imagine the child support she would pay after Daddy secures her a $250K legal job.

LOL Im a woman, I guess I could try my best.

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
stego wrote:
My RC is terrible.
Lol my RC is terrible too, probably why I didn't get scholarships haha

Bulla

Bronze

Post by Bulla » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Ask for a deferral and next year ask for a scholarship reconsideration, may be if you increased your LSAT score ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Bulla wrote:Ask for a deferral and next year ask for a scholarship reconsideration, may be if you increased your LSAT score ?
This likely won't work, because a deferral requires a commitment to attend in the subsequent year, so even an increased LSAT does nothing to change the tactics of negotiation and leverage. You're better off withdrawing, retaking the LSAT for a better tuition discount, and reapplying in a later cycle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:34 pm

latinxlawschool2020

New

Post by latinxlawschool2020 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:11 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”