Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 119

principalagent

Silver

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by principalagent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 pm

kiklavan wrote:Did you guys tailor your PS to Columbia?
I didn't, because my personal statement already spoke to the specific questions Columbia asked, even if not so explicitly.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 pm

principalagent wrote:
kiklavan wrote:Did you guys tailor your PS to Columbia?
I didn't, because my personal statement already spoke to the specific questions Columbia asked, even if not so explicitly.
Same here. But I didn't even use the word "Columbia" in my PS and now for some reason that's making me uncomfortable

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 pm

I tailored a paragraph to specifically mention Columbia and how the program fits my goals, mentioning a few clinics I am interested in, etc.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 pm

I didn't mention Columbia. Probably a mistake, but I couldn't come up with anything that would fit without ruining the flow.

dietcoked

Bronze

Post by dietcoked » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Checking in - I tailored my PS and wrote a Why Columbia bc what the hell is another one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm

sev wrote:I didn't mention Columbia. Probably a mistake, but I couldn't come up with anything that would fit without ruining the flow.
Once you get into the T6 it becomes less necessary to tailor your PS or write a Why X since its pretty self explanatory why you want to go there.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
sev wrote:I didn't mention Columbia. Probably a mistake, but I couldn't come up with anything that would fit without ruining the flow.
Once you get into the T6 it becomes less necessary to tailor your PS or write a Why X since its pretty self explanatory why you want to go there.
This was my mentality as well but you don’t think Columbia’s prompt calls for this?

15atay

New

Post by 15atay » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:16 pm

kiklavan wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
This was my mentality as well but you don’t think Columbia’s prompt calls for this?
The prompt does call for it and they usually ask why Columbia during interviews so it seems to be something they want to know.

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:47 am

15atay wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
The prompt does call for it and they usually ask why Columbia during interviews so it seems to be something they want to know.
I didn't because it would have messed up the style of my PS but I did write a separate why Columbia and send it in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JosephFourier

New

Post by JosephFourier » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:28 am

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview other than why Columbia? Apologies if I missed earlier comments about this.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:27 pm

15atay wrote:The prompt does call for it and they usually ask why Columbia during interviews so it seems to be something they want to know.
Not really the way I read it. It's more of "what can you contribute to Columbia?" not "why do you want to go to Columbia?":

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 pm

sev wrote:
15atay wrote:The prompt does call for it and they usually ask why Columbia during interviews so it seems to be something they want to know.
Not really the way I read it. It's more of "what can you contribute to Columbia?" not "why do you want to go to Columbia?":
Also it’s worth mentioning that on their actual website page where they discuss application components the prompt sounds completely different and generic.

ToddCraines

New

Post by ToddCraines » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 pm

Checking in after interview, mine went horribly and I think I'm a borderline case so we will see!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

austinlove

New

Post by austinlove » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:34 pm

Here’s to hoping!
Last edited by austinlove on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSSS

New

Post by LawSSS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:39 pm

kiklavan wrote:
sev wrote:
Also it’s worth mentioning that on their actual website page where they discuss application components the prompt sounds completely different and generic.
I went to an early information session over the summer and the speaker specifically said over and over again that they want a PS (or a PS & another statement) that says why you want to go to law school, and specifically why Columbia Law. She said they often they get statements that leave no indication as to why the person is going to law school and why columbia specifically, and this was a problem. She seemed to be indicating that this recurring problem was one of the reasons they altered the prompt this year to direct students to discuss why Columbia/why law specifically somewhere in their PS (or other materials). Just my two cents.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

LawSSS wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
sev wrote:
I went to an early information session over the summer and the speaker specifically said over and over again that they want a PS (or a PS & another statement) that says why you want to go to law school, and specifically why Columbia Law. She said they often they get statements that leave no indication as to why the person is going to law school and why columbia specifically, and this was a problem. She seemed to be indicating that this recurring problem was one of the reasons they altered the prompt this year to direct students to discuss why Columbia/why law specifically somewhere in their PS (or other materials). Just my two cents.
My personal statement explicitly states why I want to go to law school. The whole thing is about why. But I don’t talk about Columbia. Based on what you heard, would you in my position submit a why Columbia or revise the statement?

LawSSS

New

Post by LawSSS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 pm

kiklavan wrote:
LawSSS wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
sev wrote:
My personal statement explicitly states why I want to go to law school. The whole thing is about why. But I don’t talk about Columbia. Based on what you heard, would you in my position submit a why Columbia or revise the statement?
My thinking is that if your numbers are strong for Columbia, then you are probably going to get an interview request or admit anyway. I'm sure plenty of people did not submit anything that explained why columbia. You may not need it. If you are borderline, submitting a why columbia may be a good idea (1 page max). Have you already sent in your app? If you did, maybe have one ready in case of waitlist. I did submit a Why Columbia statement, and I personally encourage others to do so, but my advice goes against conventional wisdom around TLS for the T6. This cycle also has many more 170s in the applicant pool than last, so a Why Columbia is not a bad way to show from the onset that you did your homework. Esp. considering this is something they have an eye out for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

monsterc_

New

Post by monsterc_ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 pm

I know this was discussed earlier in the cycle, but interested to hear recent opinions on whether or not a lack of interview request is a kiss of death this year. Its clear they're trying to interview many more candidates than in the past but not sure whether I have a skewed picture of how many interview requests are actually going out since I'm basing it on TLS.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:05 pm

LawSSS wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
LawSSS wrote:
kiklavan wrote:
sev wrote:
My thinking is that if your numbers are strong for Columbia, then you are probably going to get an interview request or admit anyway. I'm sure plenty of people did not submit anything that explained why columbia. You may not need it. If you are borderline, submitting a why columbia may be a good idea (1 page max). Have you already sent in your app? If you did, maybe have one ready in case of waitlist. I did submit a Why Columbia statement, and I personally encourage others to do so, but my advice goes against conventional wisdom around TLS for the T6. This cycle also has many more 170s in the applicant pool than last, so a Why Columbia is not a bad way to show from the onset that you did your homework. Esp. considering this is something they have an eye out for.
Yeah, I already sent it in. Fuck idk what to do.

I was truthfully expecting a waitlist or ding anyway. Not sure if it’s worth submitting a why statement now or holding off.
Last edited by kiklavan on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawSSS

New

Post by LawSSS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Yeah, I already sent it in. I’m GPA > 75 and LSAT ~25. Fuck idk what to do.

I was truthfully expecting a waitlist or ding anyway. Not sure if it’s worth submitting a why statement now or holding off.
I did not mean to freak you out, sorry! I wouldn't worry too much yet. Maybe wait to see what January brings, before deciding?

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

LawSSS wrote:
Yeah, I already sent it in. I’m GPA > 75 and LSAT ~25. Fuck idk what to do.

I did not mean to freak you out, sorry! I wouldn't worry too much yet. Maybe wait to see what January brings, before deciding?
It’s okay :) hopefully I’m just overthinking it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Since Columbia does not offer status updates, should I be concerned that it's been 9 weeks and I haven't heard back with respect to a decision being made?

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 pm

jkander31 wrote:Since Columbia does not offer status updates, should I be concerned that it's been 9 weeks and I haven't heard back with respect to a decision being made?
I don't think anyone who's RD has heard back yet, beyond maybe an interview request (and they kind of just do that randomly).

maybeman

Bronze

Post by maybeman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:06 pm

38981928 wrote:
jkander31 wrote:Since Columbia does not offer status updates, should I be concerned that it's been 9 weeks and I haven't heard back with respect to a decision being made?
I don't think anyone who's RD has heard back yet, beyond maybe an interview request (and they kind of just do that randomly).
I'm RD and had an interview last month. I was told that the earliest wave will be mid-late jan, so no need to worry

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 pm

maybeman wrote:
38981928 wrote:
I'm RD and had an interview last month. I was told that the earliest wave will be mid-late jan, so no need to worry

Thank you brodie!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”