Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

First Decisions?

1/17
36%
1/18
25%
1/19
13%
1/22
8%
1/23
5%
1/24
3%
1/25
11%

Total votes: 119

mrsharveyspecter

New

Re: Columbia c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Post by mrsharveyspecter » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/law-school ... 1513333801

Ladies and gents it looks like we picked an abysmal time to apply to law school.

spongebob

New

Post by spongebob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 pm

mrsharveyspecter wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/law-school ... 1513333801

Ladies and gents it looks like we picked an abysmal time to apply to law school.
The fact that you felt the need to post this on like 8 different threads...chill.

mrsharveyspecter

New

Post by mrsharveyspecter » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm

spongebob wrote:

The fact that you felt the need to post this on like 8 different threads...chill.
My post from the SLS 2021 page:

in hindsight i would have posted it in the general tls 2021 page, but i didnt know that existed until like now. i just wanted to share the info with as many people as possible. again im sorry about "shoving" the article in your face multiple times

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:36 pm

mrsharveyspecter wrote:
spongebob wrote:

in hindsight i would have posted it in the general tls 2021 page, but i didnt know that existed until like now. i just wanted to share the info with as many people as possible. again im sorry about "shoving" the article in your face multiple times
Also pretty sure we've all applied/are most likely applying in the near future. No need to stir up fear in people imo, let's let the cards fall where they may.

mrsharveyspecter

New

Post by mrsharveyspecter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 am

tmcauliffe96 wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:
spongebob wrote:

Also pretty sure we've all applied/are most likely applying in the near future. No need to stir up fear in people imo, let's let the cards fall where they may.

tbh if this article is stirring up fear in you, then maybe you shouldn't be lurking on tls (and you should probably reconsider becoming a lawyer)

i apologize for the multiple postings and not following TLS etiquette, but i can't really bring myself to apologize for sharing some relevant news on a notoriously neurotic online forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:24 am

mrsharveyspecter wrote:
tmcauliffe96 wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:
spongebob wrote:

tbh if this article is stirring up fear in you, then maybe you shouldn't be lurking on tls (and you should probably reconsider becoming a lawyer)

i apologize for the multiple postings and not following TLS etiquette, but i can't really bring myself to apologize for sharing some relevant news on a notoriously neurotic online forum.
Didn't bother me, my future as a lawyer must be sound then :)

lawschoolapps7777777

New

Post by lawschoolapps7777777 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm

mrsharveyspecter wrote:
tmcauliffe96 wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:
spongebob wrote:

Is it stirring up fear in you given you felt the need to post it on multiple threads? Hard to believe it's just for the sake of info sharing ... o_O
Last edited by lawschoolapps7777777 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolapps7777777

New

Post by lawschoolapps7777777 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:17 pm

tmcauliffe96 wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:
tmcauliffe96 wrote:
mrsharveyspecter wrote:
spongebob wrote:

Didn't bother me, my future as a lawyer must be sound then :)
lollll. Ditto :D

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:24 pm

What makes this comment somewhat funny is that this individual literally got into Harvard.

Congrats btw!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:30 pm

fyi my interviewer told me interviews are pretty random and not getting one is in no way a bad sign

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

rideagain wrote:fyi my interviewer told me interviews are pretty random and not getting one is in no way a bad sign
This gave me hope.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm

rideagain wrote:fyi my interviewer told me interviews are pretty random and not getting one is in no way a bad sign
really hope you're right, friend.

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:36 pm

mwells56 wrote:
they specifically told me: "there are a lot of people freaking out on blogs and whatnot about not getting an interview, if you have a friend who applied and didn't get one tell them not to worry it's not a bad sign"

so 1. adcomms def read TLS haha and 2. she would know, so for real guys don't worry you're all good!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm

rideagain wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
they specifically told me: "there are a lot of people freaking out on blogs and whatnot about not getting an interview, if you have a friend who applied and didn't get one tell them not to worry it's not a bad sign"

so 1. adcomms def read TLS haha and 2. she would know, so for real guys don't worry you're all good!
Yeah this definitely makes me feel better. As a reach/borderline K-JD applicant whose fall grades they requested, the lack of interview request was getting me paranoid. Hoping to here back the first week of January. If I get in I don't even know if my body has the capability of expressing the level of joy/relief/anxiety I will experience.

subpoenacolada

Bronze

Post by subpoenacolada » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Random meaning what? A random selection of applicants, likely and unlikely admits?

SopranoSaxophone

Bronze

Post by SopranoSaxophone » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:29 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:
Random meaning what? A random selection of applicants, likely and unlikely admits?
Speculation, but I've heard some admits from prior years claim interviews are used for borderline cases and people who they are considering offering scholarship money.

rideagain

Bronze

Post by rideagain » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 am

Ok, so some reflection on my interview: it went well I think. Was about 35 minutes, which is a good length. Comparing it to my JS1 I feel like 15 minutes for the JS1 was just too damn short, not sure how they can get much out of it. Anyways. Interviewer was very nice, had a good conversation, not a question-answer-question-answer type interview, good back and forth.

Obviously be prepared to answer "why Columbia". I also got a "why NY" which was interesting. Maybe my app just screams homebody idk.

Also, my interviewer did advise that decisions will likely begin late Jan. She strongly implied earlier applicants (fyi she said anyone interviewing at this stage is early) will hear back sooner rather then later.

Any questions about it let me know!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nyc2dc

New

Post by nyc2dc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Interview request Dec 15.

Went complete late October.

Thanks to everyone that posted about their interview experiences.

Looking forward to my interview this week!

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm

rideagain wrote:Ok, so some reflection on my interview: it went well I think. Was about 35 minutes, which is a good length. Comparing it to my JS1 I feel like 15 minutes for the JS1 was just too damn short, not sure how they can get much out of it. Anyways. Interviewer was very nice, had a good conversation, not a question-answer-question-answer type interview, good back and forth.

Obviously be prepared to answer "why Columbia". I also got a "why NY" which was interesting. Maybe my app just screams homebody idk.

Also, my interviewer did advise that decisions will likely begin late Jan. She strongly implied earlier applicants (fyi she said anyone interviewing at this stage is early) will hear back sooner rather then later.

I think a big reason for why NY is because it's very much a love it or hate it type of city and if you hate it, it's gonna be really hard for you.

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:58 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
rideagain wrote:Ok, so some reflection on my interview: it went well I think. Was about 35 minutes, which is a good length. Comparing it to my JS1 I feel like 15 minutes for the JS1 was just too damn short, not sure how they can get much out of it. Anyways. Interviewer was very nice, had a good conversation, not a question-answer-question-answer type interview, good back and forth.

I think a big reason for why NY is because it's very much a love it or hate it type of city and if you hate it, it's gonna be really hard for you.
+1, it's definitely not for everybody, but Columbia's location is pretty stellar

urbandictionary

New

Post by urbandictionary » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Can we get some stats for those who have been requested to interview? How many are you guys, to get a clearer picture?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm

tmcauliffe96 wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:

+1, it's definitely not for everybody, but Columbia's location is pretty stellar
Only subway that gets up there is the 1 train though

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:23 pm

mwells56 wrote:
tmcauliffe96 wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:

The B and C at 116th are a short walk!

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:27 pm

andysimbi wrote:
mwells56 wrote:
tmcauliffe96 wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:

Okay I so deeply object to this, Columbia's neighborhood IS SO BORING. It's just a bunch of older people and there's like no good food and basically no nightlife. That said, it's not exactly hard to commute from Columbia to anywhere else, so, uh, just live in Brooklyn or downtown.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:29 pm

andysimbi wrote:
mwells56 wrote:Only subway that gets up there is the 1 train though
I hope that all the track fires and line outages won’t spike back up, especially since they seemed to affect the uptown trains.

And yes, Morningside Heights is pretty wack. Harlem is great if you gel with the vibe. Otherwise, you have to go to midtown at least.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”